Lift Pump Filtering - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post
I added a nictane adapter with the 1 micron microglass as the last filter after the AD 165. With that set up you wouldn't have to change the 1 micron for about 50,000 miles but its just added insurance.
I did the same thing.... I also added a filtermag on my airdog.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

06 2500HD CCSB: EFI Live by duramaxtuner, Blocker plate, Airdog II 165, Banks 4" Exhaust, Banks Intake, 6" RCD lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomZackalacka View Post
Damn - should I be concerned using the Donaldson P553203? I bought that to replace my under the hood fuel filter and don't have a lift pump yet. If Donaldson isn't so great - should I look into a Racor filter instead?
At least your Donaldson that replaces the CAT filter has a water seperator and is 3 micron.
I wouldn’t get to excited about believing negitive comments on a filter and several other products that’s widely used and sold by several of our vendors.

https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-1490...el-filter.html

https://www.madjackdiesel.com/mobile...n-p553203.htm=

If you want to go with Racor which is a 4 micron filter do it on the next filter change.

I have a AirDog 4G100 with WS and 5 micron filter Liftpump and Racor under the hood with the water seperator plug. I’m considering putting my WS back on plug it in so I’ll have a warning if water is ever present.
mray likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry if you've provided this guidance before, but I thought the Donaldson filter was quite reputable for the LB7.

So if I look into the Racor fuel filter for under the hood, what would be my best bet for protection?
Guidance is ignored quite often by people that know anything.
Opinions that only one brand LP is good and that’s what everyone should use nothing else.

Your fine with your filter choice.
Racor is a 4 micron filter the one thing you’d gain would be the water in fuel sensor.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 10-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Garage
They work good can't hurt
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Garage
I was actually driving into work today, jumping onto my last small stretch of highway and I got into the throttle. Got second gear up to 2500 rpm and then boom. Nothing. Gas pedal had zero response. Rpms went right down to zero. I pulled off to the side of the road, tried to shut off and turn back on and couldn’t get it to turn over. I ended up having to take the Donaldson filter off, check all the seals and rings etc and put it back on. Primed the hell out of it and cranked it and after about 5-7 seconds it turned over. Weird instance but I drove a bunch more tonight with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Crew Cab
265/75/16s (Retired the 305/65/16s, for now)
PPE Xcelerator - Tune # 2 - Just kidding, now level 4
Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter and Donaldson FF
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:02 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_B View Post
After I installed my lift pump, my stock filter head started to leak and found a small crack so I took it off and took the rest of the fuel line that I had left over from the FASS and deleted the filter head. Haven't looked back since.
Your method will work...............UNTIL............The FASS pump motor quits and you lose prime.

At that time you will have no way to prime the system and you will be stuck, where ever you are.

Your truck will either be towed or sit right there until such time as you reinstall a factory filter head or repair the FASS pump motor.

My point is, it is probably not the optimal long term solution.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:19 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
I was actually driving into work today, jumping onto my last small stretch of highway and I got into the throttle. Got second gear up to 2500 rpm and then boom. Nothing. Gas pedal had zero response. Rpms went right down to zero. I pulled off to the side of the road, tried to shut off and turn back on and couldn’t get it to turn over. I ended up having to take the Donaldson filter off, check all the seals and rings etc and put it back on. Primed the hell out of it and cranked it and after about 5-7 seconds it turned over. Weird instance but I drove a bunch more tonight with no issues

I'm thinking you may have a small air leak that normally isn't enough to matter but when you got on it and the fuel usage went up, because of higher than typical RPMs causing the CP to pump more, the suction on the intake increased enough to make the air leak important. You might try driving a bit with the transmission locked in a lower gear so that you have more RPMs and see if it makes a difference.
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Your method will work...............UNTIL............The FASS pump motor quits and you lose prime.

At that time you will have no way to prime the system and you will be stuck, where ever you are.

Your truck will either be towed or sit right there until such time as you reinstall a factory filter head or repair the FASS pump motor.

My point is, it is probably not the optimal long term solution.

Redundancy is a good thing if you can afford it. Having a primer pump isn't much of a cost and it could be really convenient some day. Ideally the CP will draw from the tank without help but even GM isn't that confident. From a certain perspective the lift pump is just a backup for the CP but not exactly.

In a pinch one could prime the fuel line by removing one end, blowing air into the filler opening and then reconnecting the fuel line while the fuel is spewing out. But that isn't the nicest way to get a prime. Every diesel I've ever owned has had a way to manually prime it. There is a reason.
post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I'm thinking you may have a small air leak that normally isn't enough to matter but when you got on it and the fuel usage went up, because of higher than typical RPMs causing the CP to pump more, the suction on the intake increased enough to make the air leak important. You might try driving a bit with the transmission locked in a lower gear so that you have more RPMs and see if it makes a difference.

Worth looking into for sure. Since getting it to run again I’ve been romping on it on as many straight shots and on ramps as I can to see if I can duplicate it. Thus far, no luck. But if it does it again, I’ll follow up and try out your method. Although I hope the issue is dead and gone!

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Crew Cab
265/75/16s (Retired the 305/65/16s, for now)
PPE Xcelerator - Tune # 2 - Just kidding, now level 4
Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter and Donaldson FF
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I never feel good when there is a problem that just goes away. I'd rather it stayed so that I could find it. Perhaps you will be lucky and it will stay away.
jdwarren and BoomZackalacka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in