Lift Pump Filtering - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 73 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:45 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I never feel good when there is a problem that just goes away. I'd rather it stayed so that I could find it. Perhaps you will be lucky and it will stay away.
Yeah, Ive Never known any machine to be...."Self Healing"

Which is why I prefer mechanics over electronics. Because they, come and go. But until you find the problem and fix it, they are still "Not Right"

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:12 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Man that's a lot of great info from a non engineer guy. I like the idea of a pressure gauge at the CP inlet but can't find how to do it. Any suggestions and wonder if it could be hooked up to an Edge CTs 2 monitor?
post #43 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:25 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Forget the inlet part, just go with a bleeder screw adapter on the top of the stock fuel filter head to hook up a psi gauge.
On the CTS monitor to monitor fuel psi you’ll need the Edge expandable probe and universal sensor adapter and pressure sensors, if you have something already connected like the edge probe to the cts2.
I just added 2 separate ISSPRO 20 psi fuel pressure gauges 1 mounted off my LP the other off my stock filter head gauges in my cab instead of spending $300-$400 + for that stuff to view on my cts2.
auzzy89 and mizterwizard like this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-27-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:28 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Forget the inlet part, just go with a bleeder screw adapter on the top of the stock fuel filter head to hook up a psi gauge.
On the CTS monitor to monitor fuel psi you’ll need the Edge expandable probe and universal sensor adapter and pressure sensors, if you have something already connected like the edge probe to the cts2.
I just added 2 separate ISSPRO 20 psi fuel pressure gauges 1 mounted off my LP the other off my stock filter head gauges in my cab instead of spending $300-$400 + for that stuff to view on my cts2.
The only thing you lose with the gauge on the filter head is what is happening in the line between the filter and the CP. There isn't likely to be much restriction there that you can't see. I hardly think it would be worth the extra effort to tap in at the CP.
post #45 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Let me get back to the OP and his questions about Lift Pump Filtering. I just changed the filters on my LP after 12,000 miles. I also changed the tertiary filter, a CAT 306-9199 filter on a Nicktane adapter that had 22,000 miles on it.

When I converted to the CAT UHE filter I thought it would probably catch what the Baldwin BF7633 let pass through.

As you can see in the photo below the CAT filter did as I had hoped, it caught a little that the Baldwin BF7633 did not.

So far Im pleased with the system, though I can obviously extend the life of that CAT filter to easily 40,000 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Filters 12000 Baldwin - 22000 CAT.jpg (65.3 KB, 52 views)

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 12-28-2018 at 01:50 AM.
post #46 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I have the Kennedy Diesel psi/vac gauge where you connect to the test port on the engine for readings that shops use a similar gauge to check out the fuel supply.
PSI readings are exactly the same with my bleeder screw adapter gauge in my cab comparing to the test port gauge.

There’s about 1 psi difference between the LP 10 psi and the stock filter 9 psi readings when idling.
Cold weather cold fuel the LP psi is about 9 the engine is about 8 psi when idling.
I’ve set the low psi warning lighting my ISSPRO gauges at 6 on the LP and 5 at the engine, when the psi drops more that 2 idling at my LP that’s when I’ll change those filters.
If my stock location is down more than 2 idling then I know it’s time to change that filter.
When you accelerate the LP might drop 1 psi but then stabilize, where the engine will drop about 4-5psi.

Back to the LP filtering, YES, like 407 said, you can easily double maybe even possibly triple the stock filters mileage life when adding a LP with filters.
With gauges I’ll know when it’s actually time to change filters, not thinking it’s about time.
Before the gauges I changed my LP filters at 10k stock filter @ 12k.
With LP with filters pays for themselves getting longer mileage life out of your stock filter.

I’ve had my gauges for a couple of years, LP since 2013, to get a baseline on mileage with gauges I changed my LP at 12k not much of a change with psi idling about .5 at the most, I changed my stock filter @19k no change with the psi which meant it was good to go even farther.

If you get bad fuel all these numbers go out the window.

If you delete the stock filter which I feel that’s a bad idea and no psi gauges you’d probably want to stick with 10-12 k on changing the LP filters.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-28-2018 at 05:20 AM.
post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:41 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post
I added a nictane adapter with the 1 micron microglass as the last filter after the AD 165. With that set up you wouldn't have to change the 1 micron for about 50,000 miles but its just added insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzy89 View Post
I did the same thing.... I also added a filtermag on my airdog.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If you think about this a 1 micron filter will filter much better, but also clog up faster.
I would be real leary to think it would last 50,000 miles unless the stations fuel pump your getting fuel from has a 1 micron filter on it as well.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post

I added a nictane adapter with the 1 micron microglass as the last filter after the AD 165. With that set up you wouldn't have to change the 1 micron for about 50,000 miles but its just added insurance.

If you think about this a 1 micron filter will filter much better, but also clog up faster.

I would be real leary to think it would last 50,000 miles unless the stations fuel pump your getting fuel from has a 1 micron filter on it as well.
I had the same reservation as you but when I contacted Nicktane he actually reccommended that I swap it out every year, due to my use and area. So, I replace it every year. I fill up at very questionable fuel stations due to my work and travel. This is just how I did it, not saying anybody is wrong, but it is the safest and best solution for me.

06 2500HD CCSB: EFI Live by duramaxtuner, Blocker plate, Airdog II 165, Banks 4" Exhaust, Banks Intake, 6" RCD lift
post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to cinno Send a message via Skype™ to cinno
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Traveler View Post
Man that's a lot of great info from a non engineer guy. I like the idea of a pressure gauge at the CP inlet but can't find how to do it. Any suggestions and wonder if it could be hooked up to an Edge CTs 2 monitor?
I to gave up on using the GM CP inlet test port for in cab pressure reading. Found the mating schrader connector from a web site that specializes in GM tools but it was over $100. I used the fuel filter bleeder port now. I bought two +/- 1 bar MAP pressure sensors. Got a stainless steel one from AEM (~$100 on eBay used) and use it for direct reading of the fuel pressure on the output of the fuel filter. Bought another cheap GM one (~$25) that I use to null out atmospheric pressure from the primary reading. I used an "Arduino Pro Mini" to scale the two sensors and then display the pressure reading using a 10 segment LED display in the cab. I took this approach so I could read pressure from -14.7 to +14.7 psi as my lift pump only puts out about 3 psi. It goes negative at the filter outlet as the filter clogs and under hard acceleration or as the fuel gets colder in the winter.

Cinno

2006 HD2500 LBZ, with Dual Fuel Filter and Lift Pump, 40 gal in bed fuel tank, one fuel heater and three fuel filter heaters.
post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:54 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzy89 View Post
I had the same reservation as you but when I contacted Nicktane he actually reccommended that I swap it out every year, due to my use and area. So, I replace it every year. I fill up at very questionable fuel stations due to my work and travel. This is just how I did it, not saying anybody is wrong, but it is the safest and best solution for me.

Just curious on the part number of this nicktane filter your using on your AD and the approx cost.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in