Lift Pump Filtering - Page 6 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Just curious on the part number of this nicktane filter your using on your AD and the approx cost.
It's not on the AD. It's on the stock filter head via Nicktane adapter. I'm using it in conjunction with the AD. That's why they say the life of it is so long.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

06 2500HD CCSB: EFI Live by duramaxtuner, Blocker plate, Airdog II 165, Banks 4" Exhaust, Banks Intake, 6" RCD lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Just curious on the part number of this nicktane filter your using on your AD and the approx cost.
But the filter is $62.

http://nicktane.com/index.php/produc...l-filter-tall/

06 2500HD CCSB: EFI Live by duramaxtuner, Blocker plate, Airdog II 165, Banks 4" Exhaust, Banks Intake, 6" RCD lift
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:09 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Yep, I misread Texasís post.
$62 + the cost of the adapter
If this works for you and your happy
Thatís all that matters.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-28-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yep, I misread Texasís post.

$62 + the cost of the adapter

If this works for you and your happy

Thatís all that matters.
Before I purchased I did some reading on a couple guys posts on the high mileage trucks and it seems like filtration is key. So I picked up the fuel filters and added the amsoil dual bypass for the oil. Hopefully that will help along with other routine maintenance.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 07:53 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I donít know if any thread that hasnít been hijacked.
Hereís a picture of my bleed screw adapter with Isspro psi solenoid to gauge in my cab.
Like I already mentioned the psi readings between this and test port are the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 532ED9C4-93EF-4126-AEEF-A22489FAB22F.jpg (43.6 KB, 39 views)

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Using a pressure gage and ready idle pressure shows nothing worthwhile. Anything other that a completely clogged and neglected fuel filter will show lift pump pressure at idle downstream of the filter. To really know how restricted your filter is you need to read it when it is really flowing some fuel. That only happens when the engine is under load or heavy acceleration. I could remove the fuel filter and replace it with a .010 orifice and likely show lift pump pressure at the factory filter head. What do you think would happen once I mash on the gas accelerating down the road. That pressure would drop off very quickly. Same principle.

Another thing I find quite interesting is the micron rating of some of these filters. Let's put things into perspective. A 5 micron filter would not pass red blood cells! Few filters could actually filter out anything below 5 microns in a single pass. I have seen many filters that I work with in aerospace that are rated for 5 microns but do not do 5 microns in a single pass thru the filter. The fluid needs to pass several times thru that filter to be able to scrub it down 5 micron level. The amount of times it takes to pass thru the filter to that micron rating is known as a beta ratio. (Look it up on the web). This is where some lift pumps really shows its worth. A FASS or AirDog, as they separate air, are continuously cycling the fuel thru the water separator and fuel filter then back into the tank. This is the best way to guaranty the cleanest fuel. What I did was to put a deletion bowl on my factory filter installation and install an adjustable pressure switch. I went with a FASS 95 on my LMM. That pumps nominal output is 8 to 10 psi. I adjusted my pressure switch to 6 psi. That switch makes a ground (with pressure below 6 psi) for an LED indication light I installed in the dash. Power comes from a separate aux ignition source. Now I can see if my fuel delivery system has any issues; the fuel pump quit, fuel is starting to gell, the filter is getting restricted, etc.... Also this does a simple check of the circuit every time I start the truck. Since there is no fuel pressure before I turn the ignition key to on I get a momentary LED light until the lift pump builds up pressure. I could have set the pressure switch to a lower value but in my experience once a filter starts to get that restrictive it goes down hill pretty quickly, also if it is cold outside and the fuel is starting to gell I have to time to put some additives in before having other issues. If the filter is starting to clog I would rather change that filter out a bit early then to put my CP3 under a vacuum load to bring fuel up to it. Dean

Last edited by Dean E; 12-30-2018 at 10:20 AM.
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Your not completely correct on having a psi gauge showing nothing important, unless I mis-read your post.
Viewing the psi off the LP never goes above what’s showing while idling, only down maybe 1 psi when your accelerating, mines at 10 psi drops to 9 under acceleration.
If it goes below 6, that’s what I have my low psi warning light set on my ISSPRO gauge at, then it’s time to change my LP filters.
The psi readings off my stock filter 9 psi is always one below the LP reading when idling, when accelerating it’ll drop 4-5 psi, (this is normal) I have my low psi warning light set at 5 psi, which it does come on under acceleration for a split second.

There’s not a true diesel mechanic in this world that wouldn't start off with the psi reading while idling connected to the test port.
Then most good mechanics will rig up a gauge with a long hose off the test port going to the cab to observe the psi while accelerating, I’m doing that every time I’m driving my truck without running a hose inside my cab from under the hood with my set-up.

I started off with a low psi warning light set at 5 psi that I bought from AD that connects to my LP, offered for this very reason when the psi hits 5psi idling and/or driving it’s time to change the LP filters.

When I decided to add a true psi gauge, I ended up installing a T in the supply line to the engine.
I found that my supposedly 8-10 psi LP was only putting out 6psi, they sent me a new 8-10 psi spring (no adjustment) that didn’t help, then sent me a new LP.
I eventually had AD send me a 10 psi spring that's offered for the mid 90’s Dodge.
That brought me up to 10 psi, the 8-10 spring is to weak and the psi drops back down to 7.5 -8 quickly.

Every LP company will tell you exactly what I’ve explained on when it’s time to change the filters going by psi readings either on a gauge or 5 psi low warning light like AD offers.
It’s always best when installing a psi gauge to install new filters to get a good baseline number to go by.

The amber light on the left is my AD low psi warning set a 5psi, it just flickers for a split second on then off that shows the filters are good.
The green light on the right LP is on when the light is off my LP is also off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35398EB3-C556-45E7-9F68-AF178E03B984.jpg (50.1 KB, 32 views)
Hook'em_Horns! likes this.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-30-2018 at 11:46 AM.
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 01:49 PM

I should have explained myself better. Of course the gage would be good to know what the output pressure what from the lift pump is. Actually I did first see an issue on mine when installing the 6 psi switch. My FASS 95 was not putting out the correct pressure. They sent me a new spring and ball and that corrected that. I was merely trying to explain that looking to see what your pressure is at idle does not give a good account of how restricted your fuel filters are. A gage in the dash would be nice but as long as my fuel pressure holds above 6 psi I know I am golden. My pump is putting out enough pressure and my filters are not restricting flow to the CP3.

I guess I will never understand why GM decided to suck the fuel from the tank to the CP3. Especially with the rail pressures the injection runs at. They finally wised up on the new L5Ps. Sucking fuel from the tank thru the fuel filter (especially a clogged filter) to the CP3 is just dumb. I work on many jet aircraft fuel and hyd systems. You always supply a main delivery pump with head pressure. Dean

Last edited by Dean E; 12-30-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:04 PM

So for monitoring my lp would I be good adding a pressure sensor to the fuel filter head and connecting it to my edge insight? And just make sure it stays over 6 psi under load?

post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:29 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzy89 View Post
So for monitoring my lp would I be good adding a pressure sensor to the fuel filter head and connecting it to my edge insight? And just make sure it stays over 6 psi under load?

Connecting to the Edge is not as easy as just connecting it.
You need the Edge EAS expandable probe, maybe you already have this .
Pressure sensor and a Universal Expandable starter Kit.

Here’s the kit you’ll need to add a fuel psi to your Edge, if you buy seperate it’ll cost more.
https://edgeproducts.com/shop/eas-competition-kit

I have the non expandable probe, actually I have 2 spare edge probes which means I’d have to buy this kit.
Under $300 for 2 gauges 2 pressure sensors all the wiring leaving my probe which sounded smarter for me and leaving my selections of pids on my CTS2.

On my LP, the sensor for my 5psi Amber warning light is connect to my LP.
The sensor for my LP to my gauge is T into the feed line to the engine.

The way I’m monitoring my gauges for when it’s time to change my filters explained buy several people/companies I trust, works for me.

Just remember sensor on the stock fuel filter the psi will drop below 5-6 under acceleration.
This is where you defiantly read psi while idling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31048393-211E-4821-AA36-A0331186DA23.jpg (55.8 KB, 23 views)
Hook'em_Horns! and auzzy89 like this.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-30-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in