To Tune or Not to Tune...06 LBZ - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

View Poll Results: Should I tune it?
Yes, its worth it 17 73.91%
No, leave it stock 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Efi is the way to go. If youd like pricing email me. That being said the ppe is the best "canned" on the market imo.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134 View Post
So I have an 06 LBZ that is bone stock engine / trans / exhaust wise. Its paid for, has 123k miles on it and I use it to tow my 5th wheel.

I was waiting to have a couple grand saved up and get it tuned with EFI Live Idaho Rob trans safe tunes with the DSP 5 switch, and do a 5" exhaust with muffler since I travel to Boise once every other year for work and thought hey I'd drive my truck out this time around and get it done while I work my conference, then get to enjoy driving it back home.

However, now that they have been shut down from the EFI live tuning, coupled with a second kid on the way, which means tighter finances, I'm kind of at a cross roads on whether I should even tune the Dmax or not? I really don't care about a ton of extra power, maybe an extra 60hp and the ability to fix my speedometer since I'm running bigger tires. I really don't want to break anything, that'll end up costing me more $$$ down the road, but at the same time I keep reading about mild tunes that really open the truck up, and make it perform cleaner/better.

I've seen PPE's Xcelerator option: https://www.xtremediesel.com/ppe-xce...SAAEgJVbPD_BwE

And I've also heard of some other tuners out there, but just not sure if its worth doing at this point or not? Looking for opinions.
I have the same truck as you with 260K. PPE downpipe, K&N intake, 4" exhaust, 265s, and a 45 gallon RDS fuel cell/toolbox. Tuned with Kory's tunes DSP5 switch and I tow a 6,000 lb 5th wheel.
Pulling a 6% grades from San Bernardino to Reno, NV in 90+ heat last weekend I hit a few spots where the EGTs were 1350, the truck didn't want to back down, and the Edge displayed 224F engine temp.
Clutch fan kicked in and the truck cooled down. This was on his Level 3 tow tune. I didn't have many complaints other than I couldn't keep going 65 MPH up one hill because the alert set at 1350F kept going off.
MY EGT probe is in the passenger side manifold (I didn't install it there) so I've tossed around the idea of manifolds, but I don't know anything about how much they'd improve my EGTs towing. I don't expect them to magically make it possible to pull 6,000+ pounds up a 6% grade in 90F degrees and not hit 1350+ degrees for the whole thing.
Transmission hit about 180F cruising uphill and the hottest I saw was when I was towing through towns and it his 200-205 once or twice.
West1134 likes this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Its always fun to spend someone elses money. If your truck is a fun hobby then go for it. Otherwise I think you are better off with what the factory designed. It would be nice to monitor fuel pressures, injector balance and all that but my preference is to get something that works with my phone thru the OBD2 rather than a dedicated device. I may be wishing for too much with a truck this old these days.
West1134 likes this.

Don - WA5NGP

06 LBZ white, X Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, raised driver seat, Work Truck nuthin fancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Possible high EGT’s when tuned is the reason we suggest having a EGT gauge, depending on the hp tow tune you have could be the reason on the high EGT’s.
What you need to do is let off the throttle a little to drop the EGT’s, they won’t drop on there own.
It might be a good idea consider switching to a little lower hp tune and see what happens.

I know Kory tends to add a little more hp on his towtunes than most of the other tuners do now.
My heavy towtunes are rated @ 30-40 hp, very seldom do I ever see 1350, but if I do I’ll let off the throttle a little.
13,500 lb 5th wheel, truck close to 8600 lb ready to travel loaded with driver and riders 60 gal aux fuel tank, lots of 7-9% grades.
About 8 years ago 60hp heavy tow, 80-90 light tow, NOW most are in the 30hp range heavy, 60 light.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 07-24-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode