Transmission refresh, what is worth the money? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Question Transmission refresh, what is worth the money?

I bought my LBZ last year, and it has been down because the truck needed a lot of work (replaced the entire front end suspension, brakes, steering, etc). Well, that's all done now, and I wanted to do a refresh on the transmission to keep the thing as durable as possible. I have a feeling I need to replace the flex plate due to every 3rd start the starter grinds against something (thought it was the starter, replaced it, and it still happens). It'll eventually catch and start, but I'm assuming it's time to replace the flex plate in case it's a time bomb waiting to happen.

Because I'll be doing that, I figured it would be a good time to replace the TQ converter and any gaskets, etc that should happen while I'm in there. The truck will see some mild-medium desert off-roading, and LOTS of towing my racecar around mountainous terrain. I tend to overbuild things, because I like bulletproof drivetrains, so I wanted to get recommendations on flex plates and TQ converters as well. I'll probably do a tune and basic bolt-ons, but nothing crazy on the engine, so I don't want to get too crazy, but I'd rather have something that gives me some headroom with reliability.

I did some searching, and ran across doing an LML converter over an aftermarket for a more mild upgrade, but also read that the pressure is different so you have to be careful? I'm new to automatics, so I'm not entirely sure what they were talking about. I also read that the factory flex plates crack easily, so getting an aftermarket one is a good idea. Any other recommendations are appreciated as well.

'06 Chevy 2500HD LBZ: Exploring & Towing (Cognito Lift Kit & 33s, but mostly stock)
'90 Nissan Skyline GTR: Weekend Fun
'96 Nissan 240SX: Road Race Car
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec.B: Daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:59 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I think socal diesel makes a flex plate, thats where id burn my money. As for trans, transgo jr trim valve upgrade. Ive heard of guys using the lml convertors, but honestly i havent heard about issues with pressure you might wanna think about a regear on the diffs if your gonna run the big tires and be towing, your trans will thank you. The reliability of everything will rest entirely in your right foot, and as your discovering, these trucks are not cheap to fix.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Call Mike L. at Inglewood Transmission. He is a few hours away from you, but he is one of the best in the business. He will tell you exactly what you should do.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
I think socal diesel makes a flex plate, thats where id burn my money. As for trans, transgo jr trim valve upgrade. Ive heard of guys using the lml convertors, but honestly i havent heard about issues with pressure you might wanna think about a regear on the diffs if your gonna run the big tires and be towing, your trans will thank you. The reliability of everything will rest entirely in your right foot, and as your discovering, these trucks are not cheap to fix.
Re-gear even with 33's? And yeah, I knew they weren't cheap going in. I got the truck for cheap because it needed work, but so far, I'm still in the green! I'm sure it'll be close by the time I'm done though (vs buying a super clean one right off the bat). I'll check into the other things as well. Thanks!

'06 Chevy 2500HD LBZ: Exploring & Towing (Cognito Lift Kit & 33s, but mostly stock)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmax16 View Post
Call Mike L. at Inglewood Transmission. He is a few hours away from you, but he is one of the best in the business. He will tell you exactly what you should do.
Thanks!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM

What did you end up going with on the trans? I am interested in having some work done vs building a trans for mine as well. Sometimes it seems to downshift a little rough right as I'm coming to a stop... I am assuming its on it way out since it has 220k miles.

no idea if its worth refreshing, or just having a good shop like Mike L build one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKaiju View Post
Thanks!

Brand new to me, 2006 LBZ motor w/LLY tune (I think?). CCSB 4x4 LT model, white in color. 6 speed trans with tow button and +/- switch.

221,000 miles, all original, bone stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in