Sorry, NOT sorry... my own LBZ performance upgrade & build thread: - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:42 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak! View Post
This is true... and likely the reason why the name (Blue Top) is so similar. If Iím honest, that actually bothers me.
it does kinda seem like a big FU to name your company almost the exact same thing as the company you just left.
SpeedFreak! likes this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberger93 View Post
Did you lose your brakes as well ?
When my gearbox went , my brake pedal went to the floor . What actually went bad in the gearbox ? I would think that if it went bad wouldn’t it be harder to turn ? (Losing power steering ) . Are you sure your driveshaft didn’t disconnect ? When the wheels just spinning freely it would seem like ew drive shaft isn’t connected to the gearbox
Well crap... I didn’t look that close. Now I’m dying to get home so I can look. The brakes still worked fine... there was no fluid leaking or dripping from anywhere... there was NO SOUND! I could hear or feel anything, so I just assumed it was internal. In my defense, my truck has no muffler and the tail pipe dumps under the cab (NOT my mod) so it is VERY loud, even just at idle. Nothing was moving around the gear box looking at it from the front of the truck. I didn’t think to look from the other angle. Thank you for that perspective... I will report back in a few hours after work.
We’re you able to look underneath ? Im still curious If the gearbox was bad
SpeedFreak! likes this.

2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 2500hd LBZ - 139k miles
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Thats the same kind of service i got when i called them years ago, its hard to argue with that. Customer service is usually the first thing to go in a company thats not doing things "right".

As stated elsewhere in this thread, they are still remans, so you might get a bad one here and there, but the 1 that i got was flawless. Even when i called them back to complain about what i thought was a bad gear box, they were very polite and helpful. On that topic..... lock tight the steering gear bolts.... lot and lots of it, get all the grease off the threads first, and lock tight lock tight lock tight. ask me how i know.
That's great to hear, and yes... they are still rebuilds, so I'll be very aware and quick to say something if necessary. And like you said, the "almost the same name" is a total FU to the company that helped teach you so much. Sad, really.

Thanks for the lock-tight recommendation... but come on, man! You gotta tell! I love a good story

Daily Driver #1: Lifted 2007 GMC 2500HD Classic

Daily Driver #2: Lowered 1992 Nissan D21 Hardbody

Garaged Project: 1999 BMW 540i 6spd (E39)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Weíre you able to look underneath ? Im still curious If the gearbox was bad
Sorry for the late reply... yes, the intermediate shaft is still in place and seems tight, so it has to be inside the gear box. It is almost as if whatever is inside turned to dust... I can't hear anything grinding or really anything at all, or maybe something sheared off inside?

Daily Driver #1: Lifted 2007 GMC 2500HD Classic

Daily Driver #2: Lowered 1992 Nissan D21 Hardbody

Garaged Project: 1999 BMW 540i 6spd (E39)
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
We’re you able to look underneath ? Im still curious If the gearbox was bad
Sorry for the late reply... yes, the intermediate shaft is still in place and seems tight, so it has to be inside the gear box. It is almost as if whatever is inside turned to dust... I can't hear anything grinding or really anything at all, or maybe something sheared off inside?
Interesting . Not sure if it can still happen when attached to the
Gearbox , gut just in case, you should be careful when spinning the wheel to not damage the clock spring !

2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 2500hd LBZ - 139k miles
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:45 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
That's great to hear, and yes... they are still rebuilds, so I'll be very aware and quick to say something if necessary. And like you said, the "almost the same name" is a total FU to the company that helped teach you so much. Sad, really.

Thanks for the lock-tight recommendation... but come on, man! You gotta tell! I love a good story
not too much of a story, but i had really bad play in the steering wheel like i had before i replaced the gear box so i thought it had died again..... then in the parking lot of a home depot i got irritated at it and i had the wife turn the steering wheel while i looked for the play.... turns out the whole gear box was moving close to an inch side to side because the bolts had backed off. I did use locktight, but clearly i either did not get the bolts clean enough, or i did not use enough of it. Ran into home depot, bought a socket, wrench, and 4oz of lock tight and fixed it in the parking lot (no i did not use all 4 oz).

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I just went through the same thing with an '06 GMC 2500HD I purchased earlier this year. It had 150k on it, decent paint, a really clean interior and ran well. Had a 6" lift, new 35" Toyo R/T's, dual King shocks, CST upper arms, but the front end was completely shot, steering was super sketchy and it needed a few other things. Here's what I did, as I always buy the best parts that I can afford, and always do my own work.

Dorman steering column bearing
new GM/AC Delco 'updated' intermediate steering shaft
2 DMax Store HD tie rods (inner/outer)
new CST upper A-arm poly bushings (CST tubular control arms)
Upper balljoints
Moog hub bearings
Cardone 'HD' CV axles
Bilstein steering stabilizer
Energy Suspension sway bar endlink bushings
flushed the power steering system & added a Derale cooler.

Night and Day difference in handling/steering after throwing some parts at it, along with a front end alignment. The G80 rear diff was on it's way out (found bearing pieces when changing the rear gear oil), so I installed a Detroit Truetrac - the truck already had 4.56's in it. It has Bilstein 5100's on the back now and they are beat, so I'm trying to justify the matching King shocks for the back and probably a set of Deaver 4" springs to get rid of the lift blocks since the truck already has 5000# Airbags on the back now (I'll still be able to tow what I want with the softer springs). Probably a rear sway bar too as my 20' enclosed car hauler catches a lot of wind on the highway, especially when passing semi trucks.

Currently running S&B intake with a 3" downpipe hooked to the stock exhaust. I will soon we putting in a transfer case (most likely Merchant Auto) as the front case on this one has a hairline crack that is leaking and it appears to have also developed the pump rub issue on the rear case as well.

I have subscribed to this thread and look forward to seeing your plans set in motion! NICE TRUCK!

Adam
2006 GMC 2500HD 4x4 (VIN 2)
6" Pro Comp Lift, CST upper arms, DMax Store tie rods, King dual shocks, Sulastic shackles, rear airbags, 4.56 gears, Detroit TT, 35/12.50 on 20x10's
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 05:42 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Fox View Post
I just went through the same thing with an '06 GMC 2500HD I purchased earlier this year. It had 150k on it, decent paint, a really clean interior and ran well. Had a 6" lift, new 35" Toyo R/T's, dual King shocks, CST upper arms, but the front end was completely shot, steering was super sketchy and it needed a few other things. Here's what I did, as I always buy the best parts that I can afford, and always do my own work.

Dorman steering column bearing
new GM/AC Delco 'updated' intermediate steering shaft
2 DMax Store HD tie rods (inner/outer)
new CST upper A-arm poly bushings (CST tubular control arms)
Upper balljoints
Moog hub bearings
Cardone 'HD' CV axles
Bilstein steering stabilizer
Energy Suspension sway bar endlink bushings
flushed the power steering system & added a Derale cooler.
Keep an eye on those Moog hubs, they don't generally last long on 35"+ tires. When you wear them out look at Timken.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum!! Good to see another classic Duramax from the PNW where trucks don't rust, that eliminates one of the BIG issues with trying to keep older rigs on the road.... I use my truck for towing a 5th wheel so I'm not a big fan of lifts, but lots of people tow with lifted trucks without issues. I'm getting ready to upgrade my suspension components so hopefully will get some good ideas from this post.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 05:50 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Awesome truck man! I have the same thing, my favorite color in these but I couldnít read all the replies but if youíre still looking for steering parts, Kryptonite are awesome and the warranty is the best for keepers like ours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 LBZ CCLB in Graystone Metallic
Leveling keys, CAT fuel filter and oil filter, ARP headstuds, stage 2 Garrett turbo, PCV reroute, Raptor lift pump, Edge CTS monitor, EFI live, EGR delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode