Sorry, NOT sorry... my own LBZ performance upgrade & build thread: - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Sorry, NOT sorry... my own LBZ performance upgrade & build thread:

OK... so I’ve exhausted myself with search after search... and I will continue to search and read from past threads... but few people actually have the time to address their own niche by piecing together fragments of information found across a broad spectrum of scenarios... so here I am, selfishly, starting my own thread to help myself get the extremely specific information I seek as it pertains to just me. I am sorry if that offends you, but I am not sorry since this is the beauty and benefit of these types of forums.

So for those willing to participate and help... THANK YOU in advance!

Also, I typically choose to purchase ONLY the best quality products I can find... so please keep that in mind... ONLY THE BEST that you know of. So here we go...

About a year ago, I bought a modified 2007 GMC 2500HD... the fulfillment of a dream I’ve had for about 10 years. I bought this truck knowing it had some problems, but believed the “bones” were solid and there was a lot of potential. It had about 148k miles on the clock... had different size/brand tires on the back and front... was stamped with the “Banks Power” logo... had a 5 position key for the EFI (EFI Live sys, not Banks)... a cold air intake (Banks)... and what felt like monstrous power and performance. The steering and suspension was shot... BAD... and I could see other issues as well, so here I am wanting to “invest” both precious cash and time into what I believe is a truck I will keep even while being able to purchase new trucks at will. What I am saying is that this particular 2007 Classic is a “KEEPER.“

With that context and information in mind, I seek the friendship and help of this community as I take this project on by myself. As potential side benefit, I own a small media production company that I run and manage as a hobby from my garage. Whenever possible, I will produce videos of what I am doing and post them on YouTube to help those that follow in the future. For those that help, I will make sure I always give a shout out... so make sure you tell me how you want to be given credit for any help and guidance you might provide.

Today, I spent a few hundred dollars having my local diesel performance shop conduct a thorough inspection of my truck, producing a lengthy list of both critical and pending things that I will need to deal with as soon as possible. The most urgent matter is the steering system.

The entire steering system is shot and is terrifying to drive... so that is my initial focus.

I think the lift is about 6”... there’s about three feet of play in the steering. I kid... it’s probably more like a foot and a half, but still terrifying nonetheless.

They say that the “XRF” brand components are the best, and to go with a Red-Head Power Steering gear box. I’d love to hear some feedback regarding the quality of these brands and whether or not there’s better. I definitely want upgraded parts, since the OEM stuff SUCKS! They said I need the following items:

Idler Arm Bracket Assy
3 Spline Pitman Arm
Idler Arm
HD Design Tie Rod Assembly Inner/Outer

Are there any related components that I should replace while in there? Often, it is easiest to just “replace everything” Shiloe tearing that system apart, so please let me know if I am missing anything. I’m not going to take any chances, so I will be replacing the Power Steering Gear Box too... so if there is a better option than the Red-Head rebuild, PLEASE let me know.

In a different thread, someone (I’ll go find the ID) turned me on to the Kryptonite brand, which looks seriously bad ass. Is that a better brand than XRF? Is that the best? If not, what is?

Motor and transmission mounts are worn out and looking bad. What is the best brand to buy to replace them?

I would like to replace ALL of the rubber bits and pieces with urethane... is there a “BEST” kit that includes all of the necessary bushings? Please tell me which brand is BEST.

There are many other items, but for now, this is what is most important. Later, within this thread, I will deal with the other items they found today as well as other items, like interior trim and electronics that directly impact the day to day ownership experience. Through all this, hopefully you will see the gradual transformation of my beast.

Thank you to any and all willing to make the connection, and to build a friendship through the rebuilding of an LBZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

BTW... LINKS are welcomed... so please drop any that will help with this project.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:56 AM

As far as replacing the gearbox , I chose redhead as well . There is still about 2 inches of play in my steering wheel . Would check your intermediate drive shaft as well while looking for play in the steering . While you’re down there and have the gearbox off , I would inspect the power steering lines , and most likely replace them . I would also add a power steering cooler.

2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 2500hd LBZ - 139k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak! View Post
BTW... LINKS are welcomed... so please drop any that will help with this project.
This thread may be of interest:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

By the way, regarding your statement you "ONLY WANT THE BEST". That is very subjective and everyone will not agree as to what is best. It also depends heavily on how you aer going to use the truck.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak! View Post
OK... so I’ve exhausted myself with search after search... and I will continue to search and read from past threads... but few people actually have the time to address their own niche by piecing together fragments of information found across a broad spectrum of scenarios... so here I am, selfishly, starting my own thread to help myself get the extremely specific information I seek as it pertains to just me. I am sorry if that offends you, but I am not sorry since this is the beauty and benefit of these types of forums.

So for those willing to participate and help... THANK YOU in advance!
I understand exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes it seems like the worst thing you can do in a forum is ask a question. Not everyone has hours and hours of spare time to read every single thread trying to find answers. I will say however, that this forum is nowhere near as bad as the R1 forum where it seemed to be a contest of who can be the most arrogant jerk, especially to people seeking help. Good luck with your thread!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Banned

Got any pics of truck? Sounds like a cool project, love lbzs man.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:15 AM

Merchant Automotive makes quality products & they offer engine mounts.
[URL="https://www.merchant-automotive.com/10000-MA-High-Performance-Motor-Mounts.aspx"]
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jberger93 View Post
As far as replacing the gearbox , I chose redhead as well . There is still about 2 inches of play in my steering wheel . Would check your intermediate drive shaft as well while looking for play in the steering . While you’re down there and have the gearbox off , I would inspect the power steering lines , and most likely replace them . I would also add a power steering cooler.
Excellent... seems like the power steering lines are a common suggestion so I will do as you suggest. Which brand would you suggest as a significant improvement to OEM? How about the power steering cooler? This is the first I’ve heard of that upgrade, but it sounds like good advice. Who makes a good power steering cooler?

Thanks!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
This thread may be of interest:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

By the way, regarding your statement you "ONLY WANT THE BEST". That is very subjective and everyone will not agree as to what is best. It also depends heavily on how you aer going to use the truck.
Thanks for the link!

You are absolutely right... “best” is totally subjective and intended use is also important. It is helpful to hear various opinions, so if I had a pool of opinions to choose from, it would be really helpful. Instead of choosing from many, maybe I could isolate just a few.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and drive the truck daily... I love it! I also go off road and can be really hard on my gear, so that’s why I want to use the best. It’s not a status or pride thing, it is a practical use thing. If I don’t get the best, I break it or it wears out prematurely.

Thanks again for the link.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
I understand exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes it seems like the worst thing you can do in a forum is ask a question. Not everyone has hours and hours of spare time to read every single thread trying to find answers. I will say however, that this forum is nowhere near as bad as the R1 forum where it seemed to be a contest of who can be the most arrogant jerk, especially to people seeking help. Good luck with your thread!
I’m so glad you understand. Thanks for your kindness. Yeah, I was really involved in a BMW enthusiast site and the moment you’d post a question, there would be a flood of snarky suggestions for how to use the search tool. LOL! It’s cool, though, I have thick skin. This forum is definitely cool. I used it like a fly on the wall before buying my truck.
Nitro Junkie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode