Transfer case fluid change? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

4Likes
  • 3 Post By mizterwizard
  • 1 Post By mizterwizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Transfer case fluid change?

I just got a 2008 gmc 2500 duramax and i wanna change the transfer case fluid. What fluid should i use and how much?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:46 PM

The transfer cases in these years DMAX trucks are designed for Automatic Transmission Fluid...Dex III 1.6 - 2.0 quarts if I remember correctly. Do not use the Autotrac fluid as we don't have autotrac transfer cases in the HDs, only in the 1500s. There might be better suggestions on fluids out there but the owners manual suggests the above.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Use the same fluid as your transmission or you can use 5W-30 synthetic engine oil. Search on here and you will find a lot of info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM

I don't think we use Dex III in the Allison...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:48 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

GoBlowSnow is right about Dex III in that our trucks don't use it in the transmission or the transfer case. It calls for DEX VI in both. It is best to use the exact same thing in both the transmission and transfer case because they often exchange fluids. If you use engine oil or gear oil there is a chance of it getting into the transmission which could turn a very good transmission into a rebuild job in short order.

If you have changed to another fluid in your Allison like Transend then you need to put that in the transfer case too. In normal use the transfer case isn't very picky about what you use in it. It really should match the transmission though.

You will need 1.5 liters or 1.6 quarts. Don't overfill it. All that gets is more heat and foam which can reduce life, not extend it.
BIOTEC, 407driver and LMLLover like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:00 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Since you just got this truck the transfer case is just one fluid you should probably change. This thread will help you.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Since you just got this truck the transfer case is just one fluid you should probably change. This thread will help you.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html
Well got it from my dad. Just had the oil chnaged but would like to do everything on it.

Lmm Guy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
GoBlowSnow is right about Dex III in that our trucks don't use it in the transmission or the transfer case. It calls for DEX VI in both. It is best to use the exact same thing in both the transmission and transfer case because they often exchange fluids. If you use engine oil or gear oil there is a chance of it getting into the transmission which could turn a very good transmission into a rebuild job in short order.

If you have changed to another fluid in your Allison like Transend then you need to put that in the transfer case too. In normal use the transfer case isn't very picky about what you use in it. It really should match the transmission though.

You will need 1.5 liters or 1.6 quarts. Don't overfill it. All that gets is more heat and foam which can reduce life, not extend it.
Thank you for this info. I didn't realize that the transfer case fluid could get mixed in with the ATF and such.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:56 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

There are seals separating the two. There is always a double lip seal on the front of the transfer case and often a single lip seal on the rear of the transmission. The way you find out that the seals have failed is by having an excess of fluid in either the transfer case or transmission. If you are lucky there will be an oil leak between the two that will alert you first but not always.

It is an expensive way to learn if the fluids are incompatible. Since it is easy and cheap to fix this so that there isn't any chance of cross contamination, it is just a reasonable thing to do.

There are people who use non-compatible fluids. It is their choice of course. We just need to be aware of the potential consequences before doing something like this. If you understand whatyou are doing and chose to do something non-standard then that is your prerogative.
BIOTEC likes this.

Last edited by mizterwizard; 09-23-2019 at 11:05 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

My LLY has 300k + miles on it, and I service the T/X case about every 30k or so.

When running ATF, the fluid always had metal in it.

I switched to 0w/20 motor oil about 100k ago.... and now theres no more metal in the drain oil.

My LML is draining pretty clean, with Delvac 1 ATF in there. I'll stay with the ATF in the LML, for now.

YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode