Engine block heater?? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Engine block heater??

I just bought the truck and i dont see a cord to plug up the engine block heater like most have. Does mine have one and if so where do i find the cord?

Lmm Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep4401 View Post
I just bought the truck and i dont see a cord to plug up the engine block heater like most have. Does mine have one and if so where do i find the cord?

Lmm Guy
It should have one. I found mine in the old lml between the battery and the airbox. If yours does have one, It should be in that area.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
jakep4401 likes this.

[/SIGPIC]
2011 LML CrewCab SB
S&B cai
Fass 95
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM

Found mine when I removed the passenger side wheel well cover to get to the fuel filter. Was tied up with a plastic tie wrap. Note- it won't work below 32 degrees I believe. Might say that in the owners manual too.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:08 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

In the glove box there is a sticker with a bunch of 3 digit codes on it consisting of numbers and letters. The codes are like, LMM which means Duramax engine or G80 which means it has a Detroit locker differential. Being a 2500 diesel it should have both of those codes. If one of the codes is KO5 then it has the block heater.

I could be wrong but I believe they all were in the same place on the right side of the block, like GoBlowSnow says. However, I think he may have it backwards on the temperature thing. I believe it only works below 32F but like he says, check the owner's manual.

A block heater isn't generally needed above 0F and in fact the engine will typically start just fine down to 0 even without glow plugs. That is the nature of an open chamber diesel like the Duramax. However, the easier you make life for your engine the longer it will last. I would absolutely keep the glow plugs in working order and would plug the truck in any time I thought it was going to be below freezing. An appliance timer is a good thing to plug the truck into so that it will be ready to go first thing in the morning.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=appliance...ref=nb_sb_noss

Just be sure it is rated for 10 amps or more. Most block heaters are only 5 amps but a bit of extra capacity wouldn't hurt.
407driver and jakep4401 like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:41 PM

The factory GM block heaters have a special thermostat built into the plug that turns on when it drops below zero degrees F. If you bypass the thermostat you will get a “Service Engine Soon” warning light as the ECM will be confused why the coolant temp is substantially greater than the OAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:50 PM

Speaking of block heaters, has anyone heard if GM is going to have parts for the recall anytime soon? Getting colder kinda quick here.

jakep4401 likes this.

[/SIGPIC]
2011 LML CrewCab SB
S&B cai
Fass 95
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX102 View Post
Speaking of block heaters, has anyone heard if GM is going to have parts for the recall anytime soon? Getting colder kinda quick here.

What recall?

Lmm Guy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:56 PM

L5P block heaters are under recall due to overheating causing fires on a few occasions. New trucks the cord is cut off at the heater. My new 19 is that way.
Not sure if it covers all the L5P motors, but I think it does.

[/SIGPIC]
2011 LML CrewCab SB
S&B cai
Fass 95
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:00 PM

Copied from a web search.

GM announced this a few days ago and affected trucks should be getting a letter in the mail. In the meantime GM urges all owners to not use the engine block heater until this recall is resolved or you have verified your vehicle is not affected by this recall. Unfortunately we cannot do this repair at our facility since it is a recall, but wanted to make sure our customers are aware of it. Please see below for further information.

"The recall affects approximately 364,000 units and extends to the following models:

General Motors will be issuing a recall of 2017-2019 Silverado HD and Sierra HD diesel trucks over fire risk concerns involving the engine block heater. According to GM, the heater wiring can cause a short circuit and start a fire, and there have been 19 such incidents, thankfully without any injuries or fatalities.

2017-2019 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

2017-2019 GMC Sierra 3500 HD

2017-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD

2017-2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4500 Medium Duty

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 5500 Medium Duty

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 6500 Medium Duty

Of the affected trucks, majority (324,226 units) are in the US, while 40,319 units are in Canada. About 61,000 trucks are currently being held in dealership lots.

The recall notice outlines two scenarios where the heater wiring can cause a fire. The first involves frayed or damage wiring that can short circuit, while the second involves coolant potentially leaking unto the engine block heater as well as the cable terminals.

The defects were discovered after a quality engineer submitted a report under GM’s “Speak Up for Safety” program. The employee pieced together the fire risk scenarios after a testing a faulty engine block heater that was returned under warranty. He subsequently filed a report last December, which triggered an internal investigation in February.
Since then, the company has uncovered 19 fire claims and stopped building trucks with the identified parts. Unsold units will also have their engine block heaters temporarily disabled.

GM advises affected owners NOT to use the engine block heater for now until they come up with a fix. The automaker will be reaching out to owners once the recall commences.

For further questions, affected users can contact GM’s customer service hotlines, and mention GM recall number 18278:

Chevrolet: 1-800-222-1020

GMC: 1-800-462-8782

[/SIGPIC]
2011 LML CrewCab SB
S&B cai
Fass 95
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX102 View Post
L5P block heaters are under recall due to overheating causing fires on a few occasions. New trucks the cord is cut off at the heater. My new 19 is that way.
Not sure if it covers all the L5P motors, but I think it does.

Just out of curiosity maybe you can help me solve this. On my truck when im going up hill sometimes it seems like ny truck just shakes like maybe it needs to downshift. It has 160k miles but i swear i thought an allison should go longer than that on a stock truck. I'm thinking maybe i need to grease to U joints and probably need change the tranny fluid. Its still red and has no burnt smell but the filter on the trans looks kinda old. But i have read that if you have never greased your U joints it could cause kind of a shaking type feeling. And this felling really only happens when im going up a sorta hill most of the time and going around 45-65mps. Any thoughts?

Lmm Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode