CAT and DPF UnDelete - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-20-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

CAT and DPF UnDelete

When I failed emissions this month, I discovered the 2009 Silverado 2500HD LMM that I bought from a small dealer in Phoenix earlier this year is missing it's CAT and DPF. When I called them to complain, they accused me of removing it and said they had a passing emissions report to prove it wasn't them. I know I didn't remove it and a thief surely wouldn't add a nice looking stainless delete kit with muffler

I am now faced with purchasing these parts and putting them back on. I suspect I will also need to purchase EFI to re-enable the RegGen cycle. I see the pig tails are tucked under it, so I don't think it will be too difficult, but what I don't know is what puts the diesel down the system during regen, is there some other part I need to look for or do the injectors just dump fuel during the exhaust stroke?

In 6 months, I am moving to a small town that doesn't require emissions testing, so I hope to put the delete kit back in it, but until then, I need to get my tags renewed.

Denny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-20-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I just realized I double posted this. I searched all over for a delete button, any suggestions?

Denny
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 02:41 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I would ask to see their dated report, with the VIN included...and then report their fake docs to the State.
Sry, but emissions testing on a Diesel when it doesn't involve a State Inspection due....kinda shifty I think. Who does that if there's no CEL? A used car lot? unlikely

Quote:
or do the injectors just dump fuel during
This^....and it's also why you don't want to try extended use syn in it, as they tend to have some fuel dilution in the oil from the regen dump.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. They did provide the passing form. I filed a complaint with Arizona Dept of Enviornmental Quality and was surprised they actually called me. They confirmed the truck passed, but found it interesting the test prior to the passing one it failed for the same reason I failed. Unfortunately, they said there wasn't much more they can do. I suspect this I-10 Premier Auto sales paid the guy at the emissions testing center to manually enter the VIN, then ran another truck through the opacity test.

I found a guy on Craigslist selling a full exhaust (CAT and DPF) with sensors for under 1K. Supposedly it only has 40K miles on it. I'm making the 3 hour drive now to get them.

Thank you for the information on how the ReGen cycle works on the LMM, now I just need to purchase an EFI tuner and hopefully I can pass this test.

Denny
Busa Dave likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokes54321 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. They did provide the passing form. I filed a complaint with Arizona Dept of Enviornmental Quality and was surprised they actually called me. They confirmed the truck passed, but found it interesting the test prior to the passing one it failed for the same reason I failed. Unfortunately, they said there wasn't much more they can do. I suspect this I-10 Premier Auto sales paid the guy at the emissions testing center to manually enter the VIN, then ran another truck through the opacity test.

I found a guy on Craigslist selling a full exhaust (CAT and DPF) with sensors for under 1K. Supposedly it only has 40K miles on it. I'm making the 3 hour drive now to get them.

Thank you for the information on how the ReGen cycle works on the LMM, now I just need to purchase an EFI tuner and hopefully I can pass this test.

Denny
You are experiencing first hand about what happens when buying a used diesel. Kind of sad but if I was buying a used one it would be checked by a dealer to ensure it was in compliance and to make sure that there was no history of it being "bubbized" in the GM system..

2020 GMC Denali 2500
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 11:10 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Have you considered registering your truck now to where you’ll be moving to soon?

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
it's also why you don't want to try extended use syn in it, as they tend to have some fuel dilution in the oil from the regen dump.
I didnt have any issues based on my blackstone lab reports. Granted, most of my reports were ~5k miles with only the last 'stock' report going to just under 9k miles so i guess i cant really argue(not the exact word i'm looking for) as i would define extended as anything above 8-10k miles leaning more towards 10k.

Per Blackstone Labs, the 'Values Should Be' for fuel % in the properties section of the reports i've received states "<2.0".

I have performed 5 total reports on my pickup during my ownership of it since 89k miles. 4 stock, 1 after delete. Trace, 3.0, <0.5 and 1.0, are the values that were given on my reports at mileages 95k, 110k, 115k, and 124k, respectively. The post-delete read <0.5 at 126k (the reason for the low mileage is due to my DIC telling me i had 2% oil life left and I wanted to play it safe/was curious how the report would turn out. The 3.0 reading was a cold oil change, i didnt let the engine warm up. The subsequent OCs were taken after running the engine a while, as was recommended by BL.

Given the large variability in my data, it appears how close you changed the oil to a regen plays a large factor. I do not have data on how close I was, though. All five reports were of me running Amsoil 5/40 oil.

The TBN values were 8.3, 7.8, 7.2, 6.8 and 5.7 respectively (last one being post-delete). Doesnt appear to be any correlation there but the flashpoint does appear to correlate, as one might expect, having a lower value when more fuel was present (410, 380, 415, 400, 420, respectively).

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.

Last edited by knotReally; 11-21-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 04:27 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
The propensity for this to occur is why the change to a 9th inj.

Not that it always happens, but it can leak past and into the oil below. Unless you're doing UOA to know for sure, it's best to just change it more often.
Take advantage of the yearly rebates offered and stick with the 1300, instead of the more costly brands.

Funny though, my LMM DIC % depletes much faster than my LBZ does.
Always assumed GM was accounting for the likelihood of fuel levels in the oil with the shorter cycles.
Busa Dave likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 04:31 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes I just change it with Amsoil 5-40 when it is time per the DIC. Costs a little more but I do not care.

2020 GMC Denali 2500
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Unread 11-21-2019, 04:43 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

0% on the LMM is 'bout 5k miles.
0% on the LBZ is right at 10k miles, and it tows more intervals and at higher weights when it does (a.k.a.- Used more)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in