Duramax LMM Knocking: Injector or Cracked Flex-plate? Pt.1 Diagnosis - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

View Poll Results: What is the problem Knock?
Flex-plate cracked or bolts loose 1 33.33%
Injector Knock 1 33.33%
CP3 Pump issue or sensor 0 0%
Engine bottom end 2 66.67%
Something else 0 0%
No clue and good luck! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax LMM Knocking: Injector or Cracked Flex-plate? Pt.1 Diagnosis

Hello DuramaxForum community. This is my first post, and for good reason.. I've been on this forum as a spectator looking for information to help diagnose my Duramax knock. After much research and visiting shops, I have made my own conclusion and will be dropping the Allison Transmission tomorrow. Please check out my Diagnosis video linked next.

Duramax LMM Knocking: Injector or Cracked Flex-plate? Pt.1 Diagnosis
See VIDEO: https://www.patreon.com/posts/duramax-lmm-or-1-32224165 /

Injector Knock or Cracked Flex-Plate diagnosis w/ 2009 Chevrolet Duramax LMM Dually. Give a guess in the comments section and stay tuned for Pt.2 where we drop the Allison Transmission to inspect and install new parts.

Removing the Allison transmission in a Duramax is a lot of work, so I better install some performance parts while i'm at it for preventative maintenance and improved driveability.

This episode we inspect the new Torque Converter and Flex-plate I ordered from #suncoastdiesel out of Florida to my location in Kelowna BC Canada. Featuring the GM-107X-3D billet triple-disc low stall 1800 RPM tight stator designed for towing applications., To be paired with the Suncoast Performance Diesel LBZ/LMM billet counter-balanced flex-plate. #injectorknock #crackedflexplate #duramaxknock

With changing to a 1800 RPM Low Stall performance stator from the OEM's 2200 RPM stator I hope to see a fuel mileage improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck bike lowres.jpg (70.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Schuberth racer Marcel Irnie AMA Pro SBK Road Atlanta.jpg (76.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Irnieracing Hard Braking cropped 1080p.jpg (55.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Duramax Knocking.jpg (60.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg pikes peak irnie.jpg (51.3 KB, 52 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax LMM Knocking Pt.2: Allison Transmission Removal Ep.1
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax LMM Knocking Pt.3: Allison Transmission Removal Ep.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Sounds like injectors knock to me or even worse, rod knock!!!! Good luck with the fix.
irnieracing likes this.

Justin 2001 LB7 Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4.
EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 536K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Odyssey Extreme Batteries, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, PPE Trans Cooler, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, LLY FF Housing w/ Racor, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
ADRENALINE TRUCK PERFORMANCE
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Merchant Automotive
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax LMM Knocking Pt.4: Suncoast Diesel 1800-Low-Stall Converter & Billet Flex-plate Installation

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:56 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
So, $4,000 in parts and labor and is it still knocking? Not saying the Suncoast converter is a waste of money, but this seems like just a ploy for youtube views and patreon $$$$.
Who diagnosed the "cracked" flex plate?
Have the injectors even been checked?
You can turn them off one at a time with a scan tool to see which one could potentially be knocking.
Just my $0.02 (USD).

EFI Live by Idaho Rob, 536K+ and rolling, Undercover Bed Cover, Vortex spray in bed liner, Odyssey Extreme Batteries, Westin steps, Bilstein Shocks, Road Master Active Suspension, M/A Pump Rub Kit, PPE Trans Cooler, MBRP 5" Exhaust, Edge Insight CTS, K&N drop in filter, AirDog II 100 w/ CAT 751, LLY FF Housing w/ Racor, Running on LMM Blacked out Wheels & Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.
Merchant Automotive
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 06:08 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Watched part 5 or 6 and saw cylinder #5 (passenger side, 3 back) had a balance rate of 16! That's a bad stick and that would cause the knock. If you don't replace it you can melt a piston.....

Merchant Automotive
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardtfan View Post
Watched part 5 or 6 and saw cylinder #5 (passenger side, 3 back) had a balance rate of 16! That's a bad stick and that would cause the knock. If you don't replace it you can melt a piston.....

ahh you missed the whole story of that segment (Disabling each injector at a time with the Tech2) which puts all the other injectors balance rates into a haze.
To clarify my words, it showed balance rate of 16 when another injector was disabled.

Thanks for checking my series.. I gotta release the next episode.. Thx for the reminder.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax LMM Knocking Pt.5: Allison Installation & AMSOIL Fuel-Efficient ATF
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Duramax LMM Knocking Pt.6: Unplugging Injectors & AMSOIL Diesel Injector Clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode