Regen Problem - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Regen Problem

I have an 09 GMC 350 4x6 with the Duramax LMM and Allison. All stock no mods. I use the truck for towing a 32 foot 15K fifth wheel. The only problem I have had with the truck is last summer while towing a steep long hill outside Laramie I blew the return tube off the turbo. Had it towed and repaired. Other than that I had one glow plug go bad. This truck has been meticulously maintained and serviced. The other day while the truck was in for oil chang, filter and fuel filter it had a problem during road test. Seems the warning light came on. Other than the time with the glow plug I never had a light come on with this truck. It ran fine until the service. When the mechanic put the scanner on it it indicated a regen problem. He tried to regen three times and all three times it stopped the process about 10 minutes into the regen. It then went into limp mode. The truck has about 125,000 miles on it. It never sits and idles and is mostly used for towing. Any ideas?? I am taking it to a diesel repair shop but would like to have an idea as to what it is before I get it there. I have my own ideas but would rather hear yours first.

thanks for the help

Gary
Souderton, Pa.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by thumbs; 01-02-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:08 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
The other day while the truck was in for oil change, filter and fuel filter it had a problem during road test. Seems the warning light came on.
When the warning light comes on, a DTC code is set. It sure helps to know what DTC was set in the computer so that we at least know what the truck's computer thinks the problem is.
Dales Super Store likes this.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
When the warning light comes on, a DTC code is set. It sure helps to know what DTC was set in the computer so that we at least know what the truck's computer thinks the problem is.
Not sure exactly the code but it did indicate a regen problem of some sort. Just called the mechanic he said DPF light came on. As I understand it. He didn't have the code.

Gary
Souderton, Pa.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by thumbs; 01-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:42 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Without a DTC code, I have no idea what the problem could be. Stop by the local parts store and ask them to scan your truck, get the codes, and report back. Much cheaper than going to the dealer/mechanic.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Without a DTC code, I have no idea what the problem could be. Stop by the local parts store and ask them to scan your truck, get the codes, and report back. Much cheaper than going to the dealer/mechanic.
Im pretty sure the particulate filter is clogged. The question is what's next? Is it common and efficient to clean these filters? I know a new on is horrendously expensive. We are on the road quite a bit so I don't need this problem in the middle of the desert somewhere. Right now even if the code is removed it could go into limp mode at any time. I only have to go three miles to the diesel shop but that could take a long time.
I jus wanted to educate myself a bit before I talk the the diesel guy. He has a great reputation but its always nice to know a little about something before I get there. At least I will understand what he is telling me.
I cant do it myself, those days are gone. Im in my 70'S and the years have taken their toll on my back and other assorted parts. LOL Again I think the DPF is the problem. The question is what are my options? Do I have to buy a new one or is there a process that actually does clean the filter?

thanks
Dales Super Store likes this.

Gary
Souderton, Pa.

Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 02:50 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Youll educate yourself quicker if you know the trouble code, trouble codes number.
Invest in a scanner so you dont have to depend on others scanning for you.
Good hand held scanners are under $100 or you go with something like the Edge Insight.
MAC tools has pretty good little scanners like pictured below.
This below I bought for $79 in 2007, 2009 I bought my first Edge Insight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E005C496-A59D-4A80-B5E8-A5540F538173.jpg (47.2 KB, 39 views)

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Youll educate yourself quicker if you know the trouble code, trouble codes number.
Invest in a scanner so you dont have to depend on others scanning for you.
Good hand held scanners are under $100 or you go with something like the Edge Insight.
MAC tools has pretty good little scanners like pictured below.
This below I bought for $79 in 2007, 2009 I bought my first Edge Insight.
I called the mechanic. If the thing goes into regen tomorrow morning, on his way to the diesel shop, he will write down the code.

Gary
Souderton, Pa.

Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok they got the truck to the diesel guy. It did go into limp mode once while in route. The code was ( Po101)

As for the code reader. Actually I have one picked up when the light came on when one glow plug went bad and I had no idea why the light came on. Unfortunately the code reader is in the truck so I in essence didn't have access to it. The problem arose while at the shop not at home. Anyway that is the code that was registered. I guess there is a place where I can find what the code means.

Thanks.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:06 AM
DF Sponsors

Here is a decent link describing what others have checked, done and resolved it by.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...944-p0101.html

844-487-2787
PM us for special pricing
Operating Hours: 9am-6pm EST Monday - Friday
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 11:12 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Open up your internet browser (not the forum) type in the code number throw in Duramax, hit enter.
This works with just about any trouble code, and pretty much any other ? you might be interested in knowing the answers to.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode