Coolant leak on passenger side floor - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Coolant leak on passenger side floor

2009 Chevy Express Cargo 6.6L Duramax van converted to camper. Had a slow coolant leak for quite some time now Had it up on a lift to fix something else and could see coolant on a downpipe and splashed around some other hard to reach areas. No coolant in oil. Saw on youtube someone traced a similatr issue to a adapter plate. I've tried K-seal a few times and it held for a few days but eventually leaked again. Any insights are welcome. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:40 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Is your heater core located on the right side anywhere near the location of the coolant on the floor?

Im not familiar with the vans but the two hoses on the pickups that connect to the heater core use a plastic quick disconnect that are very prone to leaking.

If this is the issue the fix would be to remove the quick disconnect and replace that entire hose all to the way to the other end with a new hose and worm gear clamps. You could use a coupling and worm gear clamps to add to the existing hoses but I always find it is best to replace those old hoses anyway while doing repairs of this type

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Is your heater core located on the right side anywhere near the location of the coolant on the floor?

Im not familiar with the vans but the two hoses on the pickups that connect to the heater core use a plastic quick disconnect that are very prone to leaking.

If this is the issue the fix would be to remove the quick disconnect and replace that entire hose all to the way to the other end with a new hose and worm gear clamps. You could use a coupling and worm gear clamps to add to the existing hoses but I always find it is best to replace those old hoses anyway while doing repairs of this type
Thanks for the response. To be honest, I'm not much of a wrencher nor am I well versed in these engines. That said, I do believe the heater core is near the passenger side. From what you're describing, it sounds like it would be a pretty big job relative to removing a lot of things to access the area that needs fixing, would you agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

It does require removal of some of the dash to gain access.. When you put your finger on the wet spot does it feel slightly smooth/slippery, like a bit of oil and/or is it pink colored? Does it smell sweet? don't taste it to see, if it is coolant it is poisonous.

I tried to find a you tube video that would explain how to do it but there were no good ones. I did learn though that it would entail taking apart the dash and that your heater core sits directly above the front center of your passenger side foot area beneath the dash

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-16-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode