Need help electrical issue - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron Nielson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Need help electrical issue

I bought a 08 LMM sight unseen from the auction. Truck is super clean and has 107k miles. From what i can see it has a 5 inch exhaust and a 5 position tuner on it. When i arrived at the auction to get it I started it right up and a bunch of lights came on the dash. CEL, Brake, ABS, tire pressure. Then the transmission would work. It would be stuck in neutral. I shut the truck off and it would work for a minute again before going out again. The auction plugged into a generic scanner and said it showed a trans shift solenoid, body control module, and wheel speed sensor. I think its an electrical problem and not a transmission. Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:55 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Well, I think we know why it went to auction. Sounds like you have multiple issues. Get a good scanner and start chasing one code at a time. Might start with getting it flashed back to stock. Sounds like whoever's been tinkering with it made a mess.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 04:14 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you're going to make this truck run, you'll need some tools, namely a subscription to ALLDATADIY.COM that tells you about your truck, DTC codes, wiring, etc. Then you'll need a code reader that will read all the computers in your truck and erase the codes also. I currenrtly use Bluedriver which costs $100 and will even work with my Mercedes, but there are lots of capable readers on the market, from $20 to whatever you want to spend. Make sure your batteries are fully charged before working on it and remember that every electrical device, motor, sensor, etc also has to have a properly working circuit to support that device. When you read for DTC's I'd likely go after any U% codes, get everything communicating first, then pick another code and see if you can fix that one. It often happens that fixing one thing also fixes another 2 or 3 things.

Best of luck to you
407driver likes this.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

These trucks DO NOT play well with low voltage. Before I did anything else Id check the date on the batteries, check the voltage and have them load tested.

If Either battery fails replace them BOTH. Id do this first before anything else.

If that does not solve the issues, follow Ron's advice. No need for me to restate what he said so well.

When you get er running, this thread will help you maintain it. Here is the link:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

I am hoping that you will get off cheap. I do hope Im wrong but that DSP5 switch usually means 5 tunes and some are too hot for a stock trans. A trans rebuild from a good sop will set you back 4-5000 so I hope you did not pay too much for it at the auction.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-26-2020 at 01:21 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
These trucks DO NOT play well with low voltage. Before I did anything else Id check the date on the batteries, check the voltage and have them load tested.

If Either battery fails replace them BOTH. Id do this first before anything else.

If that does not solve the issues, follow Ron's advice. No need for me to restate what he said so well.

When you get er running, this thread will help you maintain it.

I am hoping that you will get off cheap. I do hope Im wrong but that DSP5 switch usually means 5 tunes and some are too hot for a stock trans. A trans rebuild from a good sop will set you back 4-5000 so I hope you did not pay too much for it at the auction.
If it starts and runs and has a functioning alternator I don't see how bad batteries could cause these problems. Personally I would hold off on replacing anything on this truck until a full accounting can be made of its issues.

To the OP, I'd get a copy of the factory service manual and a scanner, as was already suggested. I second the Bluedriver recommendation because when it detects a code you can use the app to "share" the code via an emailed PDF. Very useful for communicating with dealerships and tracking your work.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode