Bilstein 5100's too soft - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bilstein 5100's too soft

I've been running the Bilsteins since 2017, which is only about 15k miles for me on this truck, and have not been extremely happy with them. They are definitely a high quality shock, however they offer nowhere near the dampening they should for a diesel motor. I notice considerable rebound at freeway speeds, causing the truck to ride like an old Cadillac. Going from reasonable condition stock shocks these, they are noticeable softer up front and stiffer in the rear, which is the opposite of what this truck requires for highway driving (in the front any way).

I contacted Bilstein, where to my surprise a real person answered and transferred me to an honest to god engineer. It was one of the best customer experiences I've ever had. That engineer did confirmed that the shock is the stiffest one they offer for the truck in a 5100, he also confirmed that it's the same valving on everything from a 1500hd gas truck to a 3500hd cclb duramax. The weight difference between these vehicles is tremendous and calls for different valving.

Long story short, my tires are being torn apart because I don't drive calmly. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stiffer shock up front? Any experience with Bilstein, Fox, or Rancho and possibly the differences between them? Should I just go back to stock with a shock spacer? Fairly stock truck CCSB, raised up 3/4" in the front when I bought it which probably just put it back to stock. 33" Ridge Grappler tires with mild fender trimming.

Thanks in advance
Nitro Junkie likes this.

2008 CCSB SRW Silverado - 5" Turbo Back w/DPF Delete - Bilstein 5100's - PPEI Tuning - Stock Height - 33's w/Big Fender Mod

Last edited by Taupe; 01-27-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupe View Post
I've been running the Bilsteins since 2017, which is only about 15k miles for me on this truck, and have not been extremely happy with them. They are definitely a high quality shock, however they offer nowhere near the dampening they should for a diesel motor. I notice considerable rebound at freeway speeds, causing the truck to ride like an old Cadillac. Going from reasonable condition stock shocks these, they are noticeable softer up front and stiffer in the rear, which is the opposite of what this truck requires for highway driving (in the front any way).

I contacted Bilstein, where to my surprise a real person answered and transferred me to an honest to god engineer. It was one of the best customer experiences I've ever had. That engineer did confirmed that the shock is the stiffest one they offer for the truck in a 5100, he also confirmed that it's the same valving on everything from a 1500hd gas truck to a 3500hd duramax. The weight difference between these vehicles is tremendous and calls for different valving.

Long story short, my tires are being torn apart because I don't drive calmly. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stiffer shock up front? Any experience with Bilstein, Fox, or Rancho and possibly the differences between them? Should I just go back to stock with a shock spacer? Fairly stock truck, raised up 3/4" in the front when I bought it which probably just put it back to stock. 33" Ridge Grappler tires with mild fender trimming.

Thanks in advance
I would also like to know of some stiffer shocks for my 08 2500 duramax. I have rough country but it does not dampen as well as I'd like plus i wish it was a lot stiffer than it is.

Lmm Guy
Nitro Junkie likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:05 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Your experience has been 180 degrees from mine.

I put 5100s on my truck two years ago and could not be happier.

Don't know what "drive calmly" means but suspect that it is the type of driving for which these trucks were not built for. Maybe the issue is not the shocks.......

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I basically just mean that I don't drive it like a Prius. I drive the truck the way it's meant to be driven, if it was another issue I wouldn't have noticed a degradation in maneuverability when switching to the 5100's. The ride quality is good, meaning it's pleasant, it simply rebounds too much. The truck does not compress, then rebound only one time which is what the proper valving does.

A DRW truck is going to react very differently than an SRW truck, I suspect you're not getting nearly the amount of body roll I am due to having more stability.

Have you tried any other brands on the truck? I'm hoping for a comparison.

How do you like the sulastics on the rear?

2008 CCSB SRW Silverado - 5" Turbo Back w/DPF Delete - Bilstein 5100's - PPEI Tuning - Stock Height - 33's w/Big Fender Mod

Last edited by Taupe; 01-27-2020 at 04:20 PM. Reason: uali
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:23 PM

In general most feel an off the shelf Fox 2.0 is stiffer than the bilstein. Iíve run a number of different shocks and most recently went with a custom tuned (accutune) fox 2.5 with dual compression adjustment. Not cheap and i needed to fab custom mounts but a night a day difference from anything else Iíve had.

Taupe likes this.

2015.5 Denali HD Duramax 4x4. 4.56 gears and Detroit tru-track. Duramaxtuner EZ Lynk +110hp. Airdog II 4G. Banks CAI
B]Wheels:[/B] Specialty Forged 22x12 -44.
Tires: 35 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grappler.
Suspension: BDS 4.5". Kryptonite UCAs. Fox Accutune built 2.5 DSC shocks (front). 4" Deaver leaf sp. Firestone airbags, Daystar cradle, Sulastics, Fox 3.0 resi internal bypass.
Steering: Kryptonite tie rods. Bilstein SS.
Other stuff: Kelderman Alpha bumper with Rigids Monster Hooks. Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum. Royalty Core. Bushwackers. Decked bed storage.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Boss, have you tried both the 2.0 smooth body and the 2.0 with reservoir or have any experience with them? I just called my local-ish performance shop, who said they receive this phone call about once a month, lol. They stated that the fox 2.0 smooth body will be quite a bit stiffer than the Bilstein, and the reservoir shock will not ride quite as rough but retain the same amount of dampening as the smooth body. @ a $200 price difference for the fronts I'd really like to be sure before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 05:41 PM

Iíve not had a non res fox. The reservoir and non res will likely be valved the same but the increased oil and nitrogen the reservoir has will improve ride quality a bit.
Taupe likes this.

2015.5 Denali HD Duramax 4x4. 4.56 gears and Detroit tru-track. Duramaxtuner EZ Lynk +110hp. Airdog II 4G. Banks CAI
B]Wheels:[/B] Specialty Forged 22x12 -44.
Tires: 35 x 12.5 Nitto Ridge Grappler.
Suspension: BDS 4.5". Kryptonite UCAs. Fox Accutune built 2.5 DSC shocks (front). 4" Deaver leaf sp. Firestone airbags, Daystar cradle, Sulastics, Fox 3.0 resi internal bypass.
Steering: Kryptonite tie rods. Bilstein SS.
Other stuff: Kelderman Alpha bumper with Rigids Monster Hooks. Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum. Royalty Core. Bushwackers. Decked bed storage.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 06:15 PM

My Fox 2.0 on the rear seem plenty stiff.

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was considering sulastics for the rear, doesn't seem like much else saves your kidneys, not a lot a shock will do for a leaf spring that size. What do you have on the front?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:39 PM

Garage
I have Fox 2.0s with Resis up front and they ride better then blown out stocks for sure but I don't think any shock out there is going to dampen the ride in these trucks with keys cranked. I replaced my bump stops and noticed a much better ride. My old truck had King coilovers and handled like a dream but im not dumping that kind of money into the Duramax suspension Lol. Ive considered going with an actual lift to see if ride quality changes any.

Michael

09 LMM
Leveled, Deleted, and Tinted, 5" Flo-Pro SS, EFI by Kory Willis, PCV Re-route, Fass 150.
US Army Military Police
East Carolina Pirate Alumni
Amsoil Dealer
http://eastcarolinasynth.myamsoil.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode