fluid change and fluid temps - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

fluid change and fluid temps

I got a 2009 dmax which has 8500 miles on it. I am just wondering how many miles i should put on before i change all of the fluids. Im not hard on the truck so i think it will be ok but would like to drain to get the shavings out.
Also wondering when everyone changes each.

Also wondering what temps everything should be at and when i let it warn up in the winter what temp should i wait for before i drive it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hondarider552
fluids IMHO;

change everything as soon as you can.

engine 10qts 15-40 delo/amsoil/rotella
transmission; leave oem fluid, change red allison spin on filter and magnet
front diff; drain 2 qts, and replace with 2 qts 75-90wt
tcase; drain fluid, replace with 2 qts dex 6 transmission fluid (oem)
rear diff; drain fluid and replace with 75-90 wt diff fluid. I cannot remember how much it takes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post
fluids IMHO;

change everything as soon as you can.

engine 10qts 15-40 delo/amsoil/rotella
transmission; leave oem fluid, change red allison spin on filter and magnet
front diff; drain 2 qts, and replace with 2 qts 75-90wt
tcase; drain fluid, replace with 2 qts dex 6 transmission fluid (oem)
rear diff; drain fluid and replace with 75-90 wt diff fluid. I cannot remember how much it takes.
Do the rears require any limited slip additive? IIRC they have a locking diff. Wasnt sure if it needed anything special.

And to the OP, I dont think it will get up to temp without a load on it....maybe eventually but I always hear diesels need a load

Trent
2005 LLY CCSB 4x4 LT3 EFI from ATP, S&B intake, MP, exh, shimmed and ported rail, self made egr delete pipe, Titan tank, HD tie rods, Cognito 4-6 with UCA's and 5100's, BMF's, HID's, Fass Ti lift pump. GMAX5/Precision ML....DP Billet 4094 and bigger sticks sitting on the shelf.

Other Toys-
84 Monte Carlo SS
86 Grand National
12 R1
08 Husqvarna 510 SMR :rockin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkLT1Z28 View Post
Do the rears require any limited slip additive? IIRC they have a locking diff. Wasnt sure if it needed anything special.

And to the OP, I dont think it will get up to temp without a load on it....maybe eventually but I always hear diesels need a load
Rear's don't require any additive. Rear takes just under 4 qts

2020 GMC AT4 HD, Crew Cab 4x4. Fuel Assault 18x9 +20 offset, LT35x12.5R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:16 PM
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest 09 dmax finally View Post
I got a 2009 dmax which has 8500 miles on it. I am just wondering how many miles i should put on before i change all of the fluids. Im not hard on the truck so i think it will be ok but would like to drain to get the shavings out.
Also wondering when everyone changes each.

Also wondering what temps everything should be at and when i let it warn up in the winter what temp should i wait for before i drive it.
Thanks
If I can send you some information about AMSOIL products for your Dmax, and save you 25-35% off retail prices, let me know.

Take care,
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies about the fluids.
Wondering when you start up the truck when it is cold out how long and to what temp should you let everything warm up? im from minnesota so it will get down to 35 below
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:48 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You can get away with letting it warm up around five to ten minutes, but still take it easy because it takes a little while under load to really get warm. Also, with your mileage, I think you are ready to change the oil. The intervals after that depend on the oil you decide to run, but with AMSOIL you will be looking at up to 3X OEM intervals Warranted.

As for the others, change your transmission spinon filter around every 15-20K miles. The diffs take 4 quarts for the back and two for the front, and with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w-90 you can go up to 50K miles under Severe Duty service and up to 100K under normal service as defined by your owners manual. You DO NOT need Diff Lock Additives, as a matter of fact I believe that GM also does not recommend additives in their diffs.

With the Transfer Case, they call for Tranny Fluid, you will be fine with whatever you decide to run in your tranny. There are some in the industry now however that have been running Synthetic 5w-30 engine oil in their transfer cases with positive results.

Grease the front chassis fittings at every regular service of your truck to make sure they stay good and greased, that is vital to the life of the bushings and joints.

Let us know if you have further questions!

God Bless

Chris
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I'm also getting ready to do my first service (around 7k) At this time I'm going to change the engine oil, filter, tranny filter, check all fluid levels, but will not change diff and trans case oil yet. (I've only towed my 5.5k trailer 500 miles and don't plan on towing again until the spring.) My question is how many fittings do I need to grease on the chassis/front end. should I use a gm product? What do you all suggest. Thanks.

Joe
2009 GMC 2500HD LMM SLE CC/SB 4X4

spray on bed liner, nerf bars, MBRP 5" DPF back exhaust, remote start, t-bars cranked.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Being brand new, look at it this way. If you were to put a brand new motor in something the recommended intervals are 500, 1500 miles. Then regular intervals. Funny how buying a brand new motor you'll be told that, but by a brand new vehicle with a brand new motor in it and nothing's said about it.

SHAWN
'02 2500 4WD CC longbed
5" MBRP straight pipe with 6" tip from PTP
285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Connex 3300HP Rebel Flag edition w/ 102" whip
next up: Quad
Toys: 2008 Harley Dyna Superglide,
2008 Maxum 18' bowrider (actually the ex's)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:08 AM
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierraman View Post
I'm also getting ready to do my first service (around 7k) At this time I'm going to change the engine oil, filter, tranny filter, check all fluid levels, but will not change diff and trans case oil yet. (I've only towed my 5.5k trailer 500 miles and don't plan on towing again until the spring.) My question is how many fittings do I need to grease on the chassis/front end. should I use a gm product? What do you all suggest. Thanks.
Corrected, thanks OB_1: There are 11 fittings. If I can help with AMSOIL products, just let me know.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by mrmanners; 11-26-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode