GM recall, the DPF, and Quadzilla - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

GM recall, the DPF, and Quadzilla

Hi, I removed my DPF and have been running the Quadzilla Stealth tunes and all is great. Getting 17.5mpg in general local/highway driving.

Except i just got a RECALL notice from GM. It reads the following:

WE HAVE LEARNED THAT YOUR 2008 MODEL YEAR CHEVROLET SILVERADO EQUIPPED WITH A 6.6 DURAMAX V8 ENGINE WAS PRODUCED WITH A PROGRAMING ERROR THAT CAN RESULT IN ENGINE CONTROL MODULE MEMORY DAMAGE AND WILL CAUSE THE ENGINE TO NOT CRANK OR START. THIS IS MORE LKEKLY TO OCCURE THE LONGER YOUR OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE.

WHAT WE WELL DO: TO PREVENT THIS CONDITION FROM OCCURING YOUR CHEVY DEALER WILL REPROGRAM THE ECM WITH REVISED SOFTWARE THAT CORRECTS THE PROGRAMMING ERROR.

Firstly are you aware of this yet?
2/ Do i have to put back my DPF exhaust and set back to factory specs?
3/ WILL THEY know if was messing with the DPF?
4/ CAN i remove the DPF again after the programming fix?
5/ WILL I need NEW QUADZILLA software before i can remove the DPF again?

Anybody go through this catch22 yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
DuramaxForum Guru

I wonder if gm has got smart and knows everyone is ditching these dpf's and they wanna reprogram so that the new flash to the ecm, makes the quad not ooperate correctly
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 AM

Tyler, thats what I was thinking as well. I'm waiting to find out more before I take mine in for the recall.

I was reading on another post that trucks with the DPF are getting better fuel mileage after the recall. Maybe they are decreasing the frequency and duration of the DPF cycle. Who knows but I love my truck without the DPF!!!

Russ

2015 Denali LML CC/SB - staying stock!!
2008 reg cab 2wd LMM - at Top Notch Garage getting some loving!! Shooting for low 11's to high 10's
2008 LMM CC/SB 4x4 - SOLD
S364.5FMW / batmo S480 twins 40% overs dual CP3
11.85 @ 113mph

Thank you to JoshH, emiller3, and blksmokelb7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 AM
DuramaxForum Guru

ya i cant imagine going back to a silent truck, i love the rumble and smoke.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:18 AM

i too have ditched the dpf and put straight pipe from the turbo back and reflashed the comp with efi live. then the other day i got the same letter. i havent had any probs with mine and it has 28000 mile on er. but the bossman did on one of his lmms and it did exactly what they are saying. Im not taking mine in and if i have to ill just take the program with me and reflash it when they are done. I was fortunate to find a cool dealer that wont void the warrentee. they just fix it.
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I'm gonna talk to quadzilla about their position. Not going to the dealer just yet. They may have to retune their tunes.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhogg726 View Post
the bossman did on one of his lmms and it did exactly what they are saying. .
What do you mean by that. The new reprograming makes it impossible for efi live or quadzilla to work so that you can't remove the DPF?

Btw. what kind of mileage you getting now that you are DPF free!?
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
VAGITARIAN :)

Wink

He prob means after the reflash,the programmers will not/maybe not read the truck's software cause it does no recognize it,as a result,if the prog cannot establish communications with vehicle,then there is no way to program it,JMHO...

2006 GMC 4x4 CC/SB/sle1/LBZ**312,000 miles!!** PPE HOT+2 225 TUNE beeeyotch:-)AutoMeter egt/boost Suncoast 5 trans w/1056TC!tsktsk,billet in/out shafts/MagHytec pan!!,M/A built T-Case,4 in.str8piped,5%tint all around......
2007 Chevrolet 4x4 cc\sb,lbz.......SOLD to blunova
Also, I speed and don't come to complete stops at stop signs.

''don't sweat the petty things,pet the sweaty things''
Click below/pictures of my junk!!
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/vb...do=hall&u=8415
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 AM

Just ignore the update. The only thing I see that is important is the fine tuning of the fuel monitoring through the DIC. Supposedly they increased the accuracy of the "gallons used".

Russ

2015 Denali LML CC/SB - staying stock!!
2008 reg cab 2wd LMM - at Top Notch Garage getting some loving!! Shooting for low 11's to high 10's
2008 LMM CC/SB 4x4 - SOLD
S364.5FMW / batmo S480 twins 40% overs dual CP3
11.85 @ 113mph

Thank you to JoshH, emiller3, and blksmokelb7
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Help me. I'm new to this forum stuff. Don't even know what threads and posts are but what I do know is I've got an "08" Sierra" that I am extremely disappointed in fuel mileage wise. Was averaging 13.4 to 13.8 mpg with normal conservative driving compared to 17.5 mpg on my "05" Silverado that I recently and unfortunately traded in. I haven't read enough to be totally informed yet but I see something here about a dpf, my truck is totally stock so far but I just took it in Weds. for an oil leak and they did the recall on it also. I only have about 40 miles on it since, but the mpgs are up to 15.3, they were at 13.8 on the way to the dealership. Maybe they did do something to help the horrible fuel mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode