Exhaust smell in cab of truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Exhaust smell in cab of truck

I own a 08 GMC, and for the last year I've had a strong exhaust smell in the truck when the truck is sitting at idle. Usually when I've pulled up to a stop light, or after the truck has warmed up. I've taken it to multiple dealers and they can't find anything wrong with the truck.
My fuel mileage has been around 13 mpg.
Have any of you guys had this problem?

PDQUICK

2008 GMC 2500HD
WHEELS: PRO COMP 6005
READY LIFT LEVELING KIT
BILLET GRILL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
DuramaxForum Guru

Send a message via AIM to kman2468
i swear that there was a thing on this from the dealership something with V band clamp or something on downpipe??

Kyle
13 lml stock
sold 04.5 lly
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Slave to the Interwebs

It is on the downpipe. Check the v band clamp.

This was posted by a member who is a tech at a large GM Dealership. His name will remain anonymous. As he almost lost his job because of the post

To start I am a technician
We are the states largest volume dealership in the past few months.

I have heard lots of people complaining about their lmms and fuel mileage. Many more people have complained that after they got the ecm reflashed their mileage went way down.

As far as the regeneration goes I wanted to get some things straight. Things that I never new about the regeneration process.

The MAXIMUM amount of fuel that regeneration uses is 3 gallons per event. NOT 6 Gallons like some have stated.

The regeneration no matter what you tow or how you drive your truck on average comes on every 360-400 miles. The dpf soot is still calculated by the ecm, and how much fuel is used, how long you idle the engine all determines the actual regen events. Their is no warning that your truck is going into regeneration unless it hasn’t been able to meet the regeneration requirements.
(I.E) Your not driving fast enough 30mph to meet the criteria.
If you see a message in your DIC "CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER SEE OWNERS MANUAL NOW" and you don’t meet the requirements to make the truck go into regeneration. It then goes into limp mode. Limp mode is 2nd gear and 30mph

Our technical director right now is driving a 08 lmm with the ecm reflashed. The average fuel mile NOT towing anything is between 15.0-17.1 This is based on daily driving the min & max he has hand calculated. He has approximately 7,800 on the truck and mostly freeway driving.

Now to the point of this post. After talking with a knowledgeable source, he has seen MANY lmms customers that are complaining about horrible mpg. The fix in 95% of the cases is the turbo outlet pipe/down pipe. Their is a bulletin on " Diesel smell on regenerations " What hank told me today is gm has found the turbo outlet pipe or down pipe is leaking right off the back of the turbo due to a flaw in down pipe production. This is causing an estimated 2 mpg loss in fuel mileage. Their is only 2 ways to see if its leaking, remove the turbo shield and look for black soot around the band clamp at the turbo down pipe. Or gm has an exhaust pressurizing tool that puts pressure into the exhaust system checking for leaks. I hope this helps anybody with an lmm motor. If you take your truck to the dealer just tell them that you smell diesel in the cab of the truck mostly during regeneration. That should trigger the tech to look for this bulletin. It DOESNT SAY anywhere in the bulleting that is tied to low fuel mileage. So DONT go in their complaing about that.

TAKE AN ANGLED MIRROR, PUT IT ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE TURBO SHEILD AND LOOK FOR BLACK EXHAUST SOOT AROUND WHERE THE DOWNPIPE COMES OUT OF THE TURBO. IF YOU SEE SOOT, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. THEIR SHOULD BE NONE

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, AITP BUILT TRANS,AD165 PUMP, BLOCKED, SLEEVED...

04.5 LLY Xcab. 5" Exhaust no noise stopper, EFI'd, LBZ piehole.

This is not only your forum you have to share it with over 100,000 others

Last edited by Johnasara; 11-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Go into the Dealer with this number: PIP4360

If you do not have the number, they can not seem to find the bulletin/PIP.

Johnasara is right.

'18 Ext Cab Z-71
'16 Reserve 26'
RC Jets
N8AGS
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM
oldschool

I think this is a common thing
I took my stock down pipe out to replace it with an aftermarket one, the stocker had black soot on the outside of it. Truck had 30k on it. Didnt really smell it unless it was in regen and not moving

2007.5 LMM CHEVY CC LT Z71
FabFour bumpers, Rancho 4in w/Bilstiens, full Kryptonite steering with Cognito braces and trac bars,35x12.5 Toyo R/T on 20x10x4.5BS KMC Monsters
[BANKS intake,dual exhaust,intercooler]Diamond Eye down pipe, AFE tube, res. plug, PCV mod, 4094avnt, 60% over nozzles, PPE race valve & fuel pickup, AirDog 150, Fitch fuel catalyst
Mike L. SCIV w/1056 C3 oiler, EFI live, Duramaxtuner DSP 5, Edge Insight, ProFab manifold/up pipes & 3" short bridge/boost pipe
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks Johnasara, I'll be checking the pipe on mine too. I've been smelling unfiltered diesel exhaust during regens while parked.
This reflash that apparently drops the mpg, is that a related service they do to the leaking turbo pipe??

I just re-read your post, it looks like you say the relation of the reflash and the mpg drop is only coincidental, is that correct?

07.5 Sierra D-Max
EFI Live Autocal DSP 5 by Rob @ATP, MBRP 4" Downpipe-back with tip, PPE Race plug, Edge Insight CTS, ATP Aluminum Tie rod Sleeves, Bilstein 5100's, Husker Diesel 300 psi Tranny lines

'11 Maxima - Daily driver/commuter
'13 Jayco 33 BHTS - 37' total, 11k lbs pull weight
'68 Chevelle - 400 Horse Gm crate- modded
'68 Chrysler Imperial - 52K original miles

Got Torque?

Last edited by Stumbler; 11-09-2010 at 07:48 AM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

subscribed, mine is doing it really bad and I have to roll my windows down now..it didn't do it until I put the aftermarket DP on..

2006 CCSB LBZ -FPE Billet S472 w/HSP Kit, Studded, Plugged, Deleted, Levi's Blankets, 3" Drop Shackles, OLs removed, Braces, Kryptonite Front End, Electric Fans, Suncoast GMAX6, MA Trans Brace, Pump Rub, Transgo, MagHytec Pans, Magnaflow, Rigid, Alligator, PPEI Tunes, 305/50 Nitto 420s, 20x10 Fuel Couplers, Trac Bars by LWATSON

2004 RCLB ZF6 LLY -SOLD
Billet S472, Southbend DD
2004 CCSB LLY -SOLD
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Backwoods Outlaw

I too have noticed this smell. Im will be taking my truck in within a week or so to have some mods done. If I get a new exhaust and DP will it clear the problem up?
Thanks in advance>

RD
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM

goplay,

I just saw this thread and watched your video. Is that a CO detector?

Here's my story. I have an '08 with 29,500 miles and have been getting a very noticeable exhaust smell in the cab on regen for some time. I'm around diesels all the time, so its not a big deal, or at least hasn't jumped high on the priority list for me.

A couple of months ago, I had been driving for about 2 hours in the truck coming back home on a short trip. Later that day, I started having chest pains and went to have it checked out. When they put me on a monitor, they asked if I smoked and I said no. I've never smoked in my life. They asked if I was sure and I said yes. They then told me I had significantly elevated levels of CO. My house is all electric, so nothing there. I blew this off until I saw your thread just now. Looks like I'm heading to the dealer.

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE2 LMM 2WD Crew White/Ebony
Denali Ultrasoft Leather Seat Upgrade
4" MBRP with muffler
Quad Stealth 2 "Stock no DPF" program
Ranch Hand Grille Guard
Westin Nerf Bars
Recon Clearance Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode