LMM towing problem. No start - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

LMM towing problem. No start

Truck
2008 LMM
185,000 miles
no aftermarket mods
original injectors

I was towing my 5th wheel yesterday in about 90 degree weather with fair hilly condition.

The first 1.5 hours things were fine and I stopped for about 20 minutes. Turned the truck off at that time (probably should have left running).

Started back onto the highway and within 10 minutes got an p087 code for low fuel rail pressure so I reset the code and continued. That happened a total of three times.

The last time I reset the code I lost my gauges, gear indicator on the dash, Fuel filter remaining, Oil Life remaining... pretty much all sensor information. Was also getting notifications to service the trailer brake system, 4 wheel drive and backup sensors.

When moving the key to try and start it nothing at all happened besides the collection of warnings above.

We loaded up the truck on a trailer and got it to a mechanic about 4 hours later. At that time I was able to start the truck and back it off the trailer.

I had the p087 warnings before and ended up replacing collapsed fuel lines.

The truck temperature was spot on the entire trip but it looks like the heat may have caused problems with sensors/Computer?

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrightnow View Post
Truck
2008 LMM
185,000 miles
no aftermarket mods
original injectors

I was towing my 5th wheel yesterday in about 90 degree weather with fair hilly condition.

The first 1.5 hours things were fine and I stopped for about 20 minutes. Turned the truck off at that time (probably should have left running).

Started back onto the highway and within 10 minutes got an p087 code for low fuel rail pressure so I reset the code and continued. That happened a total of three times.

The last time I reset the code I lost my gauges, gear indicator on the dash, Fuel filter remaining, Oil Life remaining... pretty much all sensor information. Was also getting notifications to service the trailer brake system, 4 wheel drive and backup sensors.

When moving the key to try and start it nothing at all happened besides the collection of warnings above.

We loaded up the truck on a trailer and got it to a mechanic about 4 hours later. At that time I was able to start the truck and back it off the trailer.

I had the p087 warnings before and ended up replacing collapsed fuel lines.

The truck temperature was spot on the entire trip but it looks like the heat may have caused problems with sensors/Computer?

Any ideas?
Check your fuel filter for a leak. Had this hot no restart with mine once and my o-ring was leaking on the filter head.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at that.

I'm a bit concerned that the truck wouldn't even turn over. No engagement of starter etc... just dead besides all the warnings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 07:43 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Many times when you see a weird assortment of actions with lights and gauges, it's a lack of voltage issue. Dead batts and/or connections.
And with that, you had a no-crank issue.

The dreaded fuel limp;
Many things can be the problem.
There's a lot left out of the story/time line. Did you pull over and stop to clear the code? Just trying to figure out why a restart (that didn't) occured.

1.5 hrs pulling a wind load, if you started with a full tank, you were probably down to 1/2-5/8 tank level. And as you drive under load, you're also returning hot fuel to the slowly dropping fuel tank levels....continually raising the fuel temps. Hotter fuel can trigger seal issues.

Tank fuel module could be a cause at lower tank levels (cracked/leaking/sucking air).
Moving forward, you've already addressed possible collapsed fuel lines. Next is the filter and filter head. How old is the filter? Is it still the original filter head, or has it been changed yet?
Clogged filter can kick the fuel limp also.

Was that trip starting tank purchased from a different source than you usually use?
Was it higher in bio levels than what's normally used?
Fuel sourced could have prematurely clogged the fuel filter. Especially if it was a higher bio level (solvent) combined with higher fuel temps.

The fuel cooler for the returning fuel doesn't do much. A full tank of fresh cool fuel is the main heatsink. Long trips in the heat of the day, towing a heavy wind load, you'll see higher return fuel temps dumping into a shrinking level of what was once cool fuel.

Hotter fuel affects everything in the fuel system and can trigger problems with components/seals. Many times, just stopping and topping off the tank with fresh cool fuel can settle everything down.....for a while.
Higher than normal fuel return rates from an injector(s) or FPRV can quickly raise temps too.

I'd start with a fresh filter, unless you have a gauge to measure at the filter head, psi @idle to determine any restriction level,

Voltage; load test your batts, independently. Inspect connections/cable conditions, as well as all the main harness connections.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I just changed the filter before the previous trip. It should have about a thousand miles in it.

When I stopped I decided to use a can of diesel that I had in the box of my truck instead of filling at the pump. Sounds like that warm fuel may have been another addition to a sequence of events that caused my problems.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode