Turbo Brake for the LMM- IT WORKS! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Turbo Brake for the LMM- IT WORKS!

I thought Id start a thread for LMM users to let you know about the experience I had hooking up a Turbo Brake in my 08 LMM. I got the idea from a previous thread that was directed at LBZ and LLY engines. There was a side note indicating it worked on LMM so I thought Id give it a try.

I am certainly not trying to take credit for this idea, just repackaging it. The link to the original thread is:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...-new-post.html

in that thread near the beginning is a link to another thread in a GM forum. It gave information about getting to the C2 connector on the ECM. I suggest you go to that thread as well to glean what you can from that thread.

My total cost was less than $12.00 for a round toggle switch and mini-incandescent indicator light. I was fortunate enough to obtain the two pins I needed from the local GMC dealers service department.

An Avionics Tech at work put two 8' leads on the pins for me. He had the special crimping tool necessary to connect the Molex pins to the wire. I found the pins online at a cost of $8.00 each plus shipping making the total cost around $35.00. Total cost still under $50.00

As for how it works....When the pin in location 53 is grounded the Turbo Brake is activated and on. It does not matter if you are in Tow/Haul or not, it is ON. I found this out by first grounding it directly without the switch and taking it for a ride. I did not want it on all the time so I went back in and installed the switch.

I was adding a Power Steering Fluid Cooler the same day so I had already pulled the LF tire and Lt Fender Skirt this gave very easy access to the C2 Connector of the ECM which is right there on the left side. I did all my work on that connector seated on a work stool rather than leaning over the fender. I thought it was MUCH easier.

I did install the indicator light first thing and it works perfectly too. I made this one green because directly above it is a red indicator light. This is for my fuel transfer system to let me know it is transferring fuel and I did not want to misconstrue what the lights were indicating.

I only finished this yesterday so I have not yet had an opportunity to tow my Fifth Wheel with it. I am REALLY looking forward to using it for this.

I did go out today and see just precisely what it does and here is the test drive info. I began at 65 MPH, 1650 RPM (6th gear), no T/H and TB switch on. When I let off the gas the indicator light illuminated a couple seconds later, a couple seconds later a slowing of the vehicle occurred and the transmission downshifted to 5th-RPM went up to 2100. As soon as the RPMs dropped to 1500 another downshift occurred taking the RPM back up to 2100. This cycle continued with the turbo slowing the vehicle significantly and the transmission acting as if it were in TH mode. It brought my truck down to 15 MPH before I accelerated slightly and turned the Turbo Boost Switch off.

All in All I LOVE the mod. It was cheap and will be VERY useful.

A HUGE Thank You to all who wrote the original threads and who provided me ideas and encouragement.

A couple pics to show the installation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0510.jpg (38.6 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0511.jpg (38.3 KB, 509 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0512.jpg (44.0 KB, 510 views)

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 07-16-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Sounds like it's working like you had hope for, it appears to function like the Dodge Cummins brake switch, and the big rigs.
Just don't forget you have it on, it might be a shocker when it functions when your not expecting it.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Sounds like it's working like you had hope for, it appears to function like the Dodge Cummins brake switch, and the big rigs.
Just don't forget you have it on, it might be a shocker when it functions when your not expecting it.
It actually works exactly like I had hoped. I now have three modes, just standard driving, TH and TB. Can't wait to get to a mountain (there aren't many here in Louisiana) to try it out.
jrampey likes this.

FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 06:47 AM

I just bought pins, switch and a light to do this on my 2008. I hope it works on mine.

2008 LMM GMC CCSB
EDGE INSIGHT PRO CTS2
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC67 View Post
I just bought pins, switch and a light to do this on my 2008. I hope it works on mine.
Take ur time, Make SURE the pins are in the correct slots, properly orientated and seated. They should not come out if you pull back with gentle pressure (Not hard so you pull the wires off the pins). The rest is so simple. I grounded both on the bolt that is exposed when you pull the cover back and off of the hood release but any good clean bolt into frame members will work.

The light is incandescent I hope. Im told LED lights do not work and throw weird codes

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Please write back and let us know how it went and how it works

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 AM

I hope the parts are here by Friday, and get it hooked up on Saturday. I will post on here after that. Thanks

2008 LMM GMC CCSB
EDGE INSIGHT PRO CTS2
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM

I do not think it is going to work on mine. There is grey wire in pin number 11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170826_160304_1_1503781744595.jpg (28.1 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170826_160302_1503781760708.jpg (28.0 KB, 314 views)

2008 LMM GMC CCSB
EDGE INSIGHT PRO CTS2
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Pin #11 is for the indicator light. IS there any wire in location #53? It will work without the light and you WILL NOT miss the fact it is operating if it works, I promise!

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you sure that is the C2 connector? Your picture looks like the C1 connector to me. The C2 connector is located beneath the C1, closer to the ground than the hood of the truck.

Look at the picture in this thread that shows the location of the #11 pin location and make note of the large wire connectors that are on the right which are not present in yours.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...rbo-brake.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode