08 LMM change fuel filter warning - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
08 LMM change fuel filter warning

I recently purchased an 08 LMM with 140k ( my first diesel). Drives great. Took my toy hauler out and got the change fuel filter warning and instantly went into limp mode. After changing the filter and the sensor I rebuilt the fuel filter housing. It doesn't go into limp mode but once I get on the gas it says change fuel filter still. Goes from 100 to 0. The fuel lines to the filter look crack. Replacing those next. Could the fuel lines really be causing that warning?

Also are lift pumps worth the investment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:09 PM

Yes and yes.
DuraDust likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:11 PM

Garage
If you are referencing to the rubber ones underneath the truck going up then, Yes. They will cave in on them selves and collapse with high draw of fuel.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...ollapsing.html

2008 Silverado LTZ
Tuned with EFI Live
6 inch lift by Fabtech
35 inch BFG K02 All terrain Tires

Last edited by mkayler; 04-02-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayler View Post
If you are referencing to the rubber ones underneath the truck going up then, Yes. They will cave in on them selves and collapse with high draw of fuel.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...ollapsing.html
I can see cracking on the hoses to the fuel filter. I am hoping that's my issue. Driving to and from work there's no problem only when I get the rpms up around 2500 it says change fuel filter.

Thank you
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkey52 View Post
Yes and yes.
If I add a Lift pump can I leave the OEM filter? ( I dont want to delete it ) Also will the lift pump filters, How often do you change those?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
After replacing the hoses at the fuel filter I'm still getting the change fuel filter warning (going up hill with 2k rpm). I had a mechanic do the swap and a full service to the truck. No codes. Besides adding a lift pump any more suggestions

Thank you
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:54 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

One possible solution is to replace your fuel filter head with a new OEM filter head. I know you rebuilt yours, but that sometimes doesn't work well enough. New filter head with new filter is in the range of $135 (or less). Not a difficult job. Of course there could be other causes, other leaks (suction, not pressure) anywhere in the fuel line from inside the tank to the fuel filter head. Does your problem seem to be more prevalent with a low fuel level in your tank, or high fuel level, or doesn't make a difference?

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
One possible solution is to replace your fuel filter head with a new OEM filter head. I know you rebuilt yours, but that sometimes doesn't work well enough. New filter head with new filter is in the range of $135 (or less). Not a difficult job. Of course there could be other causes, other leaks (suction, not pressure) anywhere in the fuel line from inside the tank to the fuel filter head. Does your problem seem to be more prevalent with a low fuel level in your tank, or high fuel level, or doesn't make a difference?
I have not noticed the level in tank being constant with the issue. Just when I need more fuel it says change fuel filter? I will def look into replacing that.

Thank you
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
Just found this. The hose is kinked and a little soft. Added a hose clamp to straighten it out. Could this be the issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel line ( Kink).jpg (66.8 KB, 31 views)

Thank you
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB View Post
Just when I need more fuel it says change fuel filter?
Do you mean that after your fill up, or add fuel, then the problem occurs? Please explain.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode