Fuel Injector Pump Catastrophe - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Injector Pump Catastrophe

Has this been a common malfunction in LMM's. Recently, my 2008 with 45,000 miles would not start. Towed to the dealership for what I hoped was just air in the fuel line. Wrong. It appears the fuel filter housing/system wasn't getting fuel to the injector pump. Therefore, metal shavings from the pump was introduced to the entire fuel system. Needless to say, replacing and flushing the fuel system which includes fuel filter/housing, injector pump, injectors, fuel rail/lines and drain/flush the tank is $15K. Contacted GM to see whether they would bear some of the cost due to defects in materials. Unfortunately, the age of the truck nullified any support. Don't get me wrong, I've had a smile on my face since day 1 owning this tow vehicle but this surely puts a damper on it. For GM to put the burden of this cost on the consumer is absurd and not for the lack of maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Welcome to the forum, I would find another shop and/or get a second opinion. Find it hard to believe a CP3 would do the same damage as a CP4 in a LML. @ 45K miles, sounds like a wallet flush to me. pay and diagnostic charge and tow it elsewhere.
AlisoBob and BIOTEC like this.

2006 GMC LBZ CCLB PPE down pipe 5" after the cat. PPE airbox mod. ATP EFI Live DSP5. CTS 2. Air Dog 165-4G.
Leveled with Bilstien 5160 front 5100 rear. PYO wheels with 285/75/16 AT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. Fortunately I was invited to come and look and talk with the mechanic. He showed me the shavings in multiple places. Fuel line ports top and bottom. He also pulled a sample from the fuel cell. It looked like he was panning for silver. Anyway, spoke with an independent repair and fuel system shop to see if I could save some cash, but no. They estimated 14-16K too. I'll just have to tell the wifey that the bathroom upgrade is on hold...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:25 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

You need to find a new shop.... The amount they are charging you for labor is absurd.

$3k for parts....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMM-2007-20...cAAOSw2ChcNZOn

$13k in labor?
BIOTEC likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 PM

Wow, a 2008 with only 45k on it. If your filter housing was pulling air and starving your CP3 it is hard to believe you have not seen any issues up to this point. Normally there should have been numerous issues where the pump has lost its prime and caused you to hit the primer bulb. Just one more reason to have a good lift pump on these Duramaxes. Just make sure if you get a lift pump it does not put out more than 10 psi of pressure to the CP3. Dean
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Dealer won't use refurbished parts. I had the Service Consultant confirm the price while I was there, $880 per/injector. I'm just not familiar where else to take it near San Jose. The other shop I tried had the same bottom line. OUCH!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dean. Thinking back and 2 to 3 weeks prior, during a regen while idle at a stop, I heard a momentary chatter that didn't carry over continuously. Didn't put too much thought into it. I'm beginning to think that an o-ring was going bad at the filter housing causing air to be introduced to the pump and the end result is complete contamination. Towed my camper a week prior without incident and after the momentary chatter noise.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:49 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Find a diesel performance shop that's local or close enough to tow. They should do it much cheaper. 800 an injector is ridiculously expensive. The fuel rails and lines could be cleaned and re used imo and the cp3 should be 7 to 800.

My name is Nic
2012 qcsb 6.8L cummins, Big single, Big fuel, 48re swapped,
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 CCSB LML,
BIG s400, fuel, supporting mods
THANKS TO, SDP, WCFAB, LDS, DHD, FREEDOM RACING ENGINES, GDP, EXERGY, S&S, ATS, FLEECE, DEALER FOR UNLEASHED TUNING.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:01 PM

Seriously think about a lift pump. There are many options available. I went with a FASS 95 which will support up to 500HP but there are quite a few options available to you. Opinions on this will vary about as much as bringing up which oil everyone prefers. The biggest thing is to make sure you do not over pressurize the pump. Make sure what ever you go with will not put out more than 10 psi. All you really want is some slight head pressure to the CP3 to keep it happy. Dean
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchin View Post
and not for the lack of maintenance.
What maintenance could one overlook in the fuel system that could cause $13k in repair at 45k miles? Seriously? I realize there are a lot of factors that play into this. given age and mileage, corrosion is the top one. But, corrosion can quickly be identified or eliminated by investigating other components.

Bro, best of luck.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode