P0101 and P2457 on my new to me truck - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

P0101 and P2457 on my new to me truck

Hi Guys,

I've mostly lurked around recently for ideas and guidance!

I bought a 2009 2500 LTZ CC with 209,xxx miles on it and I'm at 211k now - I was hesitant of the mileage at first, I traded in my 2012 Tundra with 100k on it. But after reading how far most of your trucks are going and me really wanting one of these truck for as long as I can remember I pulled the trigger.

First month and half everything has been running great on the truck no issues at all. Now all of a sudden this last Saturday I threw my fishing pole in the back and fired her up to head down to river to catch some rainbows. Well right away I got a check engine light and reduced power message - my heart dropped and my mind started racing with how much is this going to cost me. I ran over to oreillys to use their OBD scanner to check out whats going on. It was throwing the P2457 code "Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Cooler System Performance" and the P0101 code "Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance" I cleared them and later that day P0101 came back the next day I cleared it and it came back.. So far I only got the P2457 the one time it first came up on Saturday, but I keep getting P0101 daily and clearing it. I've replaced the filter with a new one, the old one was a bit dusty but it sure didn't look that bad and I have cleaned the MAF Sensor with some cleaner but the problem continues. I've used the search bar on this and I can't seem to find a clear and concise fix for this problem. It is getting really annoying to keep getting reduced power randomly during my commute.

Does anyone have any guidance at this point - I know the EGR valve could be the culprit as well. Would a EGR delete and tune fix this? I was hoping to get a tune, exhaust and EGR delete down the road. I'd prefer not to spend the extra money right now as with a recent vacation the checkbook is a bit tight, but if it prevents this from continuing then I will just have to bite the bullet.

Appreciate any insight, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Spend the money on an alldatadiy.com subscription for your pickup. Best money you'll spend.

If you're not looking to spend any money on a delete just yet... check the MAP sensor. This picture shows where its at on a stock intake. See if its clean?

Photo credit: D/AChris - EGR delete thread

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.

Last edited by knotReally; 06-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 AM

P0101 - Alldatadiy diagnostic procedure

C P0101

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor

DTC P0101

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance

Diagnostic Fault Information
***6/6/19 DELETED PHOTO SINCE IT IS NOT CORRECT ANYMORE***

Typical Scan Tool Data
***6/6/19 DELETED PHOTO SINCE IT IS NOT CORRECT ANYMORE***

Circuit/System Description

The mass air flow (MAF) sensor is integrated with the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor. The MAF sensor is an air flow meter that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The engine control module (ECM) uses the MAF sensor signal to provide the correct fuel delivery for all engine speeds and loads. A small quantity of air entering the engine indicates a deceleration or idle condition. A large quantity of air entering the engine indicates an acceleration or high load condition. The MAF/IAT sensor has the following circuits:

A MAF sensor ignition 1 voltage circuit
A MAF sensor ground circuit
A MAF sensor signal circuit
An IAT sensor signal circuit
An IAT sensor low reference circuit

The ECM applies 5 volts to the MAF sensor on the MAF sensor signal circuit. The sensor uses the voltage to produce a frequency based on the inlet airflow through the sensor bore. The frequency varies in a range depending on engine coolant temperature (ECT) of approximately 2,300 Hertz at idle to near 9,000 Hertz at maximum engine load.

When engine coolant temperatures reach 60įC (140įF) the ECM commands a Rich Idle mode. During Rich Idle the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve is commanded ON, and a lower frequency and g/s value will be indicated on the scan tool.

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0642, P0643, P0652, P0653, P0698, P0699, P2228, P2229 are not set.
The intake air temperature (IAT) is greater than -20įC (-4įF) .
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is less than 99įC (210įF) .
The BARO is greater than 72 kPa .
The engine speed is greater than 500 RPM .
The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve is not commanded ON.
This DTC runs continuously within the enabling conditions.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that the MAF sensor air flow ratio is not within a predetermined range of the calculated MAF air flow ratio for greater than 16 seconds .

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0101 is a Type A DTC.
The ECM commands reduced engine power as a remedial action.
The driver information center (DIC) or indicator may display reduced engine power.
DPF regeneration is inhibited.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P0101 is a Type A DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

A slight to moderate resistance of 10-20 ohms on the MAF sensor ignition 1 voltage circuit may cause this DTC to set.

Caution: Refer to Road Test Caution.

A skewed MAF sensor, an intake air flow restriction or any unmetered air that enters the engine downstream of the MAF sensor may cause this DTC to set.
A wide open throttle (WOT) acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF sensor parameter on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 6-38 g/s at idle to 380 g/s or more at the time of the 2-3 shift.
An aftermarket exhaust system may reduce engine back-pressure excessively and cause this DTC to set.

Circuit/System Verification

Verify that DTCs P0047, P0048, P0102, P0103, P0403, or P0405 are not set.

§ If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions

Verify that restrictions do not exist in the exhaust system. Refer to Restricted Exhaust. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Exhaust System\Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Restricted Exhaust
Verify that leaks do not exist in the exhaust system. Refer to Exhaust Leakage. See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Exhaust System\Testing and Inspection\Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Exhaust Leakage
Engine operating at idle; observe the scan tool MAF Sensor parameter. The reading should be between 2,300-4,400 HZ depending on the ECT temperature.
A WOT acceleration from a stop should cause the MAF Sensor parameter on the scan tool to increase rapidly. This increase should be from 16-38 g/s at idle to greater than 400 g/s at the time of the 1-2 shift.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Important:

You must perform the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with the circuit/system testing.
You must perform the Repair Verification after completing the Circuit/System Testing.

Verify the integrity of the entire air induction system by inspecting for the following conditions:

A loose or disconnected charge air cooler hose or pipe
A restricted or collapsed air intake duct
A misaligned or damaged air intake duct
A dirty or deteriorating air filter element
Any objects blocking the air inlet probe of the MAF/IAT sensor
Any contamination or debris on the sensing elements in the probe of the MAF/IAT sensor
A cracked or damaged MAF sensor housing
Any water intrusion in the induction system
Any snow or ice build-up at the air cleaner, MAF or MAP sensors in cold climates
An intake manifold leak
A MAP sensor seal that is missing or damaged
An Intake Manifold Resonator with a leaking seal, or a cracked or broken housing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the MAF/IAT sensor.
Ignition OFF for 90 seconds, test for less than 5 ohms of resistance between the MAF low reference circuit terminal 2 and ground.

§ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, test for less than 5 ohms of resistance between the IAT sensor low reference circuit terminal 4 and ground.

§ If greater than the specified range, test the IAT sensor low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the ignition 1 voltage circuit terminal 3 and ground.

§ If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the ignition circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminal 1 and ground.

§ If less than the specified range, test the MAF signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
§ If greater than the specified range, test the MAF signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Test the charge air cooler system for leaks. Perform the Full System Air Leak Test and Induction Smoke Test. Refer to Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Induction System Smoke Test) Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Charge Air Cooler Air Leak Test) Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Full System Air Leak Test). See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Induction System Smoke Test) See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Charge Air Cooler Air Leak Test) See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Full System Air Leak Test)
Remove the Intake Manifold Tube.
Visually inspect the EGR valve and verify the valve is in the closed position.

§ If the EGR valve is not in the closed position, replace the EGR valve.

Ignition OFF, connect the red lead of the J 38522 to the signal circuit terminal A at the MAF/IAT sensor harness connector. Connect the battery voltage supply to B+, and ground the black lead.
Set the J 38522 signal circuit to 5 volts , the frequency to 5K , and the Duty Cycle to Normal.
Engine idling, observe the scan tool MAF Sensor parameter. The scan tool MAF Sensor parameter should be between 4.950-5.025 Hz .

§ If the MAF Sensor parameter is not within the specified range, replace the ECM.
§ If the MAF Sensor parameter is within the specified range, replace the MAF Sensor.

Repair Instructions

Exhaust Particulate Filter Cleaning (LMM DPF Regeneration Enable) Exhaust Particulate Filter Cleaning (LMM DPF Service Regeneration) for DPF Regeneration Enable
Mass Airflow Sensor/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Replacement
Refer to Programming and Relearning for ECM setup and programming. See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning

Repair Verification

Notice: Refer to Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Enable Notice.

Certain engine control conditions can cause the exhaust particulate filter (EPF) to overload with soot. It will be necessary to clean the EPF as instructed to remove the excess soot accumulation. To avoid the customer's return to the service department, perform the Exhaust Particulate Cleaning procedure.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.

Last edited by knotReally; 06-06-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:50 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Is your airfilter stock paper or aftermarket oiled or dry ?

When you cleaned the MAF by any chance did you handle/touch the contacts holding it to spray the cleaner ?

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 06-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post

When you cleaned the MAF by any chance did you handle/touch the contacts holding it to spray the cleaner ?
Just the stock paper airfilter. I've read plenty on how the oiled ones aren't good for these trucks. When I pulled the MAF out I was cautious not to touch the contacts inside but I did touch the metal plate on the back which seems more like a shield of some sort.. Please tell me that's not a sensitive part of the sensor is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotReally View Post
Spend the money on an alldatadiy.com subscription for your pickup. Best money you'll spend.

If you're not looking to spend any money on a delete just yet... check the MAP sensor. This picture shows where its at on a stock intake. See if its clean?

Thanks for the insight into the MAP sensor I will take a look at it when I get home today!

Alldata seems like a resourceful tool I will forsure sign up for a subscription.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotReally View Post

Thanks for the insight into the MAP sensor, I'll take a look at that when I get home today.

Alldata looks like a very resourceful tool as well thanks for the head up!

Quote:

Paper filter, I've read on here about avoiding the oil filters since they can gunk up the MAF!

When I cleaned it I was very cautious to not touch the contacts inside but I did touch the metal plate on the back.. I'm hoping now that that is not an essential sensitive part of the sensor and more of some sort of block plate?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Iíve used oiled air filters on all my vehicles currently 5 vehicles for over 25 years with never any issues.
The ones thatís had issues over oiled the filter which means they caused their own problems.

Aftermarket air filters that will eventually cause P0101 issues on a turbo diesel is the K & N.
Turbo diesels have 5 + times the airflow pulling in, and K & N doesnít hold up that great overtime.

K & N oil will burn up the MAF sensor if the oil cooks on it.
AFE oil will not damage the MAF sensor if you mess up and over oil.
Thereís info on this out there.
Iíve over oiled a couple of times and had a light coat of oil on the MAF contacts, cleaned it up and kept on driving.
I use aFe oil on all my air filters.

But thatís besides the point on your issues.
Maybe invest in something like the EDGE Insight CS/CTS so you can monitor things like MAF g/s, Intake air temp, fuel rail pressure, EGTís, etc, etc.
MAF g/s idling will tell you if the flow is to high or even to low, which would cause the P0101 code.

You might also consider cleaning the MAP sensor, if itís not functioning properly it could possibly be causing you issues.
If your not sure where the MAP sensor is, itís circled in red.
MAF which you already know is circled in blue.
These are the easier things to check out first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3C980318-74AB-4560-AA4F-74AEF60BCC15.jpg (75.9 KB, 46 views)

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Iíve used oiled air filters on all my vehicles currently 5 vehicles for over 25 years with never any issues.
The ones thatís had issues over oiled the filter which means they caused their own problems.

Aftermarket air filters that will eventually cause P0101 issues on a turbo diesel is the K & N.
Turbo diesels have 5 + times the airflow pulling in, and K & N doesnít hold up that great overtime.

K & N oil will burn up the MAF sensor if the oil cooks on it.
AFE oil will not damage the MAF sensor if you mess up and over oil.
Thereís info on this out there.
Iíve over oiled a couple of times and had a light coat of oil on the MAF contacts, cleaned it up and kept on driving.
I use aFe oil on all my air filters.

But thatís besides the point on your issues.
Maybe invest in something like the EDGE Insight CS/CTS so you can monitor things like MAF g/s, Intake air temp, fuel rail pressure, EGTís, etc, etc.
MAF g/s idling will tell you if the flow is to high or even to low, which would cause the P0101 code.

You might also consider cleaning the MAP sensor, if itís not functioning properly it could possibly be causing you issues.
If your not sure where the MAP sensor is, itís circled in red.
MAF which you already know is circled in blue.
These are the easier things to check out first.
So you do use the oiled filters in your Dmax? My impression was no matter what they weren't good to use on these trucks!

An Edge is definitely another one of those things that are down the line that I want but tune/exhaust/EGR delete would preferably come first.

Appreciate the help D_R_C! I will take a look at the MAP sensor this afternoon and report back tomorrow - hopefully that clears this issue up for me. It wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't for the reduced engine power that comes on randomly, usually when I stop at a light and am idling. God forbid a Cummins or a Powerstroke pulls up and its race time
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:43 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Only if you know what your doing and not over oiling the filter, like I mentioned earlier I have over-oiled but with afe oil you will not damage the maf sensor like you will with k & N oil.
The EDGE would not be a good choice of a tuner for deleting.
Its the Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2 gauge/monitor only no tuning.

Dan
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Only if you know what your doing and not over oiling the filter, like I mentioned earlier I have over-oiled but with afe oil you will not damage the maf sensor like you will with k & N oil.
The EDGE would not be a good choice of a tuner for deleting.
Its the Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2 gauge/monitor only no tuning.
So I went home and hit the MAF with some more cleaner. Truck seems to be doing it less today. When I started it this morning the Check engine light was actually off which was a surprise! I did celebrate early because it did come back on half way to work, though it doesn't seem to do the low power mode once everything is all warmed up. Now... I wanted to investigate the MAP Senser you guys have pointed out but there seems to be problem. I don't think I have one on my truck, see the photo for reference.. Any reason why I wouldn't have the sensor on my EGR??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2317.jpg (105.6 KB, 35 views)

2009 Silverado 2500 LTZ CC HD
Current Mods:
Rough Country 3" Lift
Rough Country Tie Rod Sleeves
EFILIVE by Kory Willis
JAMO 5" Straight Pipe

Future Mods:
Full EGR Delete w/ up-pipe
EDGE CTS-2
FASS 165GPH Lift Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode