$3k in repairs so far, and haven't fixed the P0087 - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredge View Post
Also be sure to keep your tank over 1/2 full for mountains.
Excellent advice.

2012 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 D-Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Had persistent p0087 code when towing heavy in hot weather up-hill on my 2007 LBZ. Went thru all the easier fixes including new fuel lines, race plug for PRV, lift pump, even a Kennedy tune to reduce incidence of limp- all to no avail until I replaced the injectors, which were the culprit (they were returning too much fuel).
Truck runs great again. This youtube video explains p0087 code troubleshooting the best:
corneredge likes this.

2007 CC SB "Classic" LBZ SLT, 4" Magnaflow Turbo-back, EGR plate, 52 gallon Titan fuel tank, Garrett Stage 1 turbo, PPE down pipe, Kennedy lift pump, Kennedy custom tow tune for p0087
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:39 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I’ve run into this problem every summer since probably 2007. In my experience, if it has more that 120k miles, it’s the injectors or delivery lines 75% and the fpr 25. Always when towing during the heat of the day. In fact I expect at least 3 this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:17 PM

Garage
I think I have read other topics on injectors, but a quick couple questions...

1. In the effort to save money, is it OK to replace just the problematic injectors? I've read to do all 8 but we are talking $6.5k in just parts.

2. I've seen the YouTube videos on rebuilding the injector. This seems like another way to save some money with my own sweat. What is the downfall to this?

2007 2500HD CC LBZ
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I’d recommend reman injectors from dmaxstore or injectors direct and get the warranty. With an issue like that you better do all 8
SweetLivy likes this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Red face seehad fuel pressure regulator

Seehad- My dealer wanted $541 for a fuel pressure regulator made by Bosch. Bosch doesn't make it. It is made in China. I bought the same one, aqua o-ring & all for $24.88

Once in hand the battle has only begun. You have to take everything off the top front of the engine to find the FPR up front. It is mounted from back to front by 3 screws. They are T-25 star screws. The space available is very tight as are the screws. I used a high quality socket with T-25 mounted on it to get them out. It is a bitch of a job-4.5 hour book rate, but it can be done in 3 hours or less. You attested to the fact it isn't easy. this job normally isn't for first time mechanics. I will warn you that the wires that connect it are small and easily broken. Also, the insulation is a fav rat food. Sometimes the problem is the wires or wiring harness, not the FPR, so carefully check before you put it back together. Good luck!

Sometimes a guy has to wonder why he bought a diesel in the first place. My buddy just put a short block in his Ram 3500. Broke a piston when injector cratered.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Lot's of terrific advice here, thank you all. I've gone through a range of emotions with this truck but I've gone too far to give up and lose a ton of money in the process. I'll keep building up my tool collection rather than take it to the shop to save some money that has been bleeding on this truck. With what I've spent so far, I'll be avoiding the problem conditions and work on doing this myself during the "off-season". I was a little intimidated after hearing my buddy tell me how long it took to replace his LBZ injectors and they had more tools and three guys working on it.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 AM

In my opinion these trucks are easy to work on. Just very time consuming to work on. I did headgaskets on my lly and used nothing more then basic hand tools. There is no specialty tools to do anything. Just do a lot a research and dont short cut the task. When people run into issues is when they fo things as cheap as possible and then later complain of issues and they have to pay to do again. Pay for good parts and you will be fine.

2005 Silverado 2500, Crew Cab Short Bed. 122,000 miles
MODS: AFE intake, LBZ mouth piece, MBRP cat- less exhaust.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLivy View Post

1. In the effort to save money, is it OK to replace just the problematic injectors? I've read to do all 8 but we are talking $6.5k in just parts.
Yes.
Not sure on your $$ amount....they're $360-$375 (depending on qty purchased) for new OE @LDS, not reman. 25mo warranty
Because of the labor involved with the 1st gen Dmax, it was recommended to do all 4 on the side you had opened up.
Later gen, individual worn injector replace is fine. But with high mileage wear, if one is out of spec on return amounts, there's probably more too.

You'd need a return rate test to determine injector health, more than 80ml or how close to that are the others, to decide on full set or not.

Quote:
2. .....What is the downfall to this?
Meh, leave it to the Bosch pros, with the equip to evaluate, test and tune.
Stuck injector isn't a piston happy event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seehad View Post
......I was a little intimidated after hearing my buddy tell me how long it took to replace his LBZ injectors and they had more tools and three guys working on it.
Popping the hood and gazing over the cluster**** of it all, it's intimidating.
However, removing the inner fender liners and either lifting to open up the wheel well more, or removing the tire....leaves a BIG gaping whole on each side that reaches almost everything easily for a variety of repairs.

Pick up a pair of push-pin pliers, under $10.

Here's a decent video of it all (disregard his "passenger side / Driver's side" dyslexia).
@ 5:10 you can see the return line for the 4 injectors on the pass side....where you'd remove each clip on one and attach a line to measure return. 80ml or less is good.

"....I just have a firm belief, you take enough bolts apart, something's going to fall off...."
I like that ^^.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

2. I've seen the YouTube videos on rebuilding the injector. This seems like another way to save some money with my own sweat. What is the downfall to this?
Here is a link to Lincoln Diesel Specialties for injectors for your LBZ. You could get 2 of any of their sets for less than the $6500 someone quoted you.

$2800 and they include the install kit if you buy the entire set. https://lincolndieselspecialties.com...injectors.html

Those are new, NOT remans.
GoBlowSnow likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in