Limp Mode Delete? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Limp Mode Delete?

Is there any such thing available?
Over the course of owning my Duramax for the last 12 years, I have experienced far too many situations where the truck was set to limp mode and effectively stranded me for what turned out to be something simple. Something that before limp mode came along, would have been ignored or at the most thrown up a check engine light.
I paid good money for a DPF delete because it kept throwing me into limp.
I'd pay just as much to delete Limp Mode all together. Anybody got a source for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:40 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder27 View Post
Is there any such thing available?
Over the course of owning my Duramax for the last 12 years, I have experienced far too many situations where the truck was set to limp mode and effectively stranded me for what turned out to be something simple. Something that before limp mode came along, would have been ignored or at the most thrown up a check engine light.
I paid good money for a DPF delete because it kept throwing me into limp.
I'd pay just as much to delete Limp Mode all together. Anybody got a source for that?
i dont think that you can do that, and im not sure doing it would be a good idea. If you are going into limp mode on a deleted truck, there is likely a problem that you should look into and not just delete the problem indicator away. Were you to delete this system you may be less aware of engine issues until it is WAY too late to do anything about them.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

More than willing to take that chance at this point.
I work in an industrial environment and one thing I've learned about nuisance alarms is that if a non-critical alarm prevents an equipment operator from running, they will try to find a way to defeat it.
This is no different. If a truly critical parameter is not met it should probably displayed on the DIC all others should get no more than a check engine light. If critical enough maybe a "no start" condition. Chevy has decided to include a seemingly endless number of minor conditions to initiate limp mode. That is totally uncalled for.
I've driven most of my life without a baby sitter. Now a bad Oil level sensor can sideline my truck and always in 5:00 o'clock traffic. I learned how to check my oil with the dipstick a long time ago.
Yes, I would absolutely do it if available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Check out the section on ECM programming here:
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Du...ure%20code.pdf
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Sorry shawn.o, didn't get your point.
Are you suggesting that if I buy an ECM programmer that I would somehow be able to delete Limp Mode?
Even if thats true, I'm not a programmer. I am just a guy who happens to own a Duramax and would like to keep it on the road more and off the side of the road less while I search for which non-GM product I will replace it with.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

First you need a device to read the codes, the device will tell you what the code is and/or you can search the code number on the open internet, write the numbers down.
Then clear the code/codes which would also remove the limp mode.
Then repeat if the code comes back, but consider taking care of the reason the code popped up in the first place.

Thereís devices out there as cheap as $50 to $450 which is the Edge Insight.
You donít have to be a mechanic to do this, all you need to know is how to plug the device into the OBD2 port, pretty much the same as plugging a cord into your wall outlet.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
First you need a device to read the codes,.
Thanks D_R_C, I have a scanner from PPEI.
Currently I have a code and that code will not reset (because the condition still exists). The problem is NOT that it has a code, the code it has puts me in limp mode and I don't consider any of the 5 sensors on that circuit to be life threatening like limp mode in freeway traffic is.
Yes I will replace the ECM when I can get the truck towed but then next time some little minor problem is detected it will limp again. I'm just tired of it. Emissions deletes are good. Limp mode delete would be beyond great.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder27 View Post
Thanks D_R_C, I have a scanner from PPEI.
Currently I have a code and that code will not reset (because the condition still exists). The problem is NOT that it has a code, the code it has puts me in limp mode and I don't consider any of the 5 sensors on that circuit to be life threatening like limp mode in freeway traffic is.
Yes I will replace the ECM when I can get the truck towed but then next time some little minor problem is detected it will limp again. I'm just tired of it. Emissions deletes are good. Limp mode delete would be beyond great.
You are correct that if it is a sensor it is a PITA!!

BUT, if the sensor is not faulty, an oil level sensor for example, ignoring it could be devastating for your engine.

IMHO even if possible, deleting entirely the limp system would be a VERY bad idea.

Bypassing the safety systems, effectively ignoring them, is an equally bad idea...........Ever hear of the Deep Water Horizon? How many times did people get away with that before that one time literally blew up in their face?

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:21 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

So, whatís the code number your getting ?
This would help us possibly helping you.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Bypassing the safety systems, effectively ignoring them, is an equally bad idea...........Ever hear of the Deep Water Horizon? How many times did people get away with that before that one time literally blew up in their face?
Yes Sir Heard of It ...Live in Alabama.
Not a safety system, a Nanny system.
It's clear that some of you don't mind it. I just very badly want to take it off of MINE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode