How to take off approach lights??!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2007.5 to 2010 LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

How to take off approach lights??!!

I cant figure out how to remove the lights on the roof of the truck but i cant figure out how to take it off to replace it. I removed the screws on the middle light but it is on there TIGHT i tried to use a little force to make it come of but i dont want to pull up on it to hard and break it. Any tips on how to remove it? Maybe the gaskets or just on there really well?

Lmm Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:19 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Probably gasket stuck to the paint. Start at one point and try to peel the edge of the gasket up and work your way around the fixture to break the seal.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Probably gasket stuck to the paint. Start at one point and try to peel the edge of the gasket up and work your way around the fixture to break the seal.
Thanks for the help! Is it common these lights go out?

Lmm Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:27 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
It took my LBZ almost 10 years before the OE bulbs started dropping out. And I do a lot of driving with them on (either at night, or with the fogs on in daytime cloudy weather).

So it might be your time.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
It took my LBZ almost 10 years before the OE bulbs started dropping out. And I do a lot of driving with them on (either at night, or with the fogs on in daytime cloudy weather).

So it might be your time.
Thats about how long it took these so thats a good thing.

Lmm Guy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:33 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

What I have found that works best is to use the plastic scraper like what is used for body repairs applying Bondo.

There is just enough of an edge on the scraper to help break the gasket free from the paint without damaging the paint. However, patience is key and work very slowly around the light assembly to get it to break free.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:27 AM

Garage
Not sure what year truck you have but on my 08 you remove the screws and push the light toward the side of the truck to remove it. There are plastic tabs on the light that fit into slots on the roof and prying upwards will damage the roof or the light or both. It's probably that way for all model years from 08 onward. I don't remember which direction to push the light but you'll figure that out. It's really pretty simple.

2008 Dmax/CC/Onyx Black
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
Not sure what year truck you have but on my 08 you remove the screws and push the light toward the side of the truck to remove it. There are plastic tabs on the light that fit into slots on the roof and prying upwards will damage the roof or the light or both. It's probably that way for all model years from 08 onward. I don't remember which direction to push the light but you'll figure that out. It's really pretty simple.
Thanks for the help man!

Lmm Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode