2008 LMM 2500 Steering Box - Redhead or OEM? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2007.5 to 2010 LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

2008 LMM 2500 Steering Box - Redhead or OEM?

So I have the loose steering wheel problem where my wheel turns to about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock when the wheel is at the 12 o'clock position with the engine off without moving the wheels right or left. After towing a 7k lb trailer about 100 miles, it is felt all over the place on the highway. No more long distance driving until we sort this out. My Father In-Law and I looked at it today and it appears to be the steering box, not the shafts between the box and the wheel. All shafts look solid and the play appears to be all from the steering box.

I hear mixed reviews of the redhead, but I see horror stories of doing a reman from the local auto supply shops, so I am only seriously considering an OEM or a redhead. I am about to sell the truck to a friend of a friend, so I do want to do it right. I am leaning towards redhead, but most mechanics will not warrant any work done on parts you bring in.

One other question, on the redhed website it shows the product for my truck (model 2873) as being 496 lbs. Is that correct? I thought it would be more around the 100 lb range for just the steering box.

I will be farming this out to a shop because I want it done by a mechanic for a number of reasons, one of those being that I dont think I have the tools to get it done properly.

This is a mostly stock truck except for bumpers and DPF delete. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

2008 GMC Crewcab 2500HD Duramax 4X4
148k miles
DPF Delete Duramax Tuner (2011) other than that, pretty much stock.
Purchased from Brother in Oct. 2015. Brother purchased used @ 60k miles in Winter 2010

Maintenance record since I owned it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CT...dQ53jgjdxWHRaI

Last edited by chrisivc; 11-24-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 09:24 PM

Garage
Im in the same boat as the box on mine has been leaking for some time and its due to be replaced. Im going to go with a RedHead and keep my OEM one and get it rebuilt most likely just to be on the safe side. Store Remans seem to have a much higher fail rate then the RHs from that I have gather.

Appears even OEM ones are now remanned also. Unless you can find a used one on eBay out of another LMM with lower mileage I would just get the RH.

My truck has 240k on it and I think my box only leaks because I was beating it with a pickle fork when I was changing my pitman arm. I plan to grab a RH from Diesel Power Products and hopefully they have a Black Friday sale.

Also shouldn't need too many tools to do it I too was going to hire a shop until I actually got down there and looked at the process. Don't think it'll be too bad. I will also be replacing the lines and adding a power steering cooler.

Michael

09 LMM
Leveled, Deleted, and Tinted, 5" Flo-Pro SS, EFI by Kory Willis, PCV Re-route, Fass 150.
US Army Military Police
East Carolina Pirate Alumni
Amsoil Dealer
http://eastcarolinasynth.myamsoil.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:00 AM

Garage
I just replaced the steering box on my 2006 and went with a redhead. When I bought the truck about 15K miles ago the guy said he had just had the box replaced and it was already loose so I assumed it was an OEM reman and that's why I went with the redhead.

No issues so far (about 5K miles since I put it on) so I'm happy with it.

2006 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 - MBRP Downpipe, 5" Magnaflow Straight Piped, SDP EGR delete, FASS 150, PPE Airbox Mod, PCV reroute, EFI Live by Idaho Rob, Reverse leveled, 20x10 (-12) Fuel Mavericks with 305/50 Nitto 420's
MY LBZ Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I would also consider the PSC box, brand new and heavier duty internals.

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I just went ahead and purchased the redhead box since it appears to be a little more of a sure thing compared to an OEM reman. The more I read about auto part store reman boxes, the more nervous I got about OEM reman items. I want this fixed once, so I can sell my truck to a friend of a friend later this year.

How hard is it to replace? I have replaced my alternator and fuel filter assembly before. I usually farm out anything more difficult so I dont screw it up, especially if it can affect the safety of the truck on the road (my wife uses it to tow her horse trailer). I would not forgive myself if she was injured by me not doing something correctly.

Thanks everyone,
Chris

2008 GMC Crewcab 2500HD Duramax 4X4
148k miles
DPF Delete Duramax Tuner (2011) other than that, pretty much stock.
Purchased from Brother in Oct. 2015. Brother purchased used @ 60k miles in Winter 2010

Maintenance record since I owned it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CT...dQ53jgjdxWHRaI
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisivc View Post
I just went ahead and purchased the redhead box since it appears to be a little more of a sure thing compared to an OEM reman. The more I read about auto part store reman boxes, the more nervous I got about OEM reman items. I want this fixed once, so I can sell my truck to a friend of a friend later this year.

How hard is it to replace? I have replaced my alternator and fuel filter assembly before. I usually farm out anything more difficult so I dont screw it up, especially if it can affect the safety of the truck on the road (my wife uses it to tow her horse trailer). I would not forgive myself if she was injured by me not doing something correctly.

Thanks everyone,
Chris
I pulled mine out when i replaced the pitman arm. Putting it back in was fairly easy.
The only thing i dont know is what sort of tinkering do you have to do when you put it in? You'll want to make sure your tires are straight and your pitman arm is right at the middle point. Maybe someone here can advise on that. All i did was put the arm back on in the same spot as the old arm.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode