Exhaust Brake For LMM - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2007.5 to 2010 LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Exhaust Brake For LMM

Hey guys just looking to see how practical/effective it would be to add an Exhaust Brake to my 2010 GMC LMM? Has anyone put one on and if so whats your thoughts and opinions on it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hondarider552
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 AM
oldschool

EFI tuned turbo brakes work fairly well and are basically free when you purchase tuning

2007.5 LMM CHEVY CC LT Z71
FabFour bumpers, Rancho 4in w/Bilstiens, full Kryptonite steering with Cognito braces and trac bars,35x12.5 Toyo R/T on 20x10x4.5BS KMC Monsters
[BANKS intake,dual exhaust,intercooler]Diamond Eye down pipe, AFE tube, res. plug, PCV mod, 4094avnt, 60% over nozzles, PPE race valve & fuel pickup, AirDog 150, Fitch fuel catalyst
Mike L. SCIV w/1056 C3 oiler, EFI live, Duramaxtuner DSP 5, Edge Insight, ProFab manifold/up pipes & 3" short bridge/boost pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to jc1843
The Allison does a good job in Tow Haul mode while decending grades. You probably don't need one, unless you have a very large trailer and drive in mountain areas most of the time.

Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

If you really want or need one I agree with going EfI live,the cost of the aftermarket brake costs as much EFI live and you get many more advantages too.Like DPF and ERG delete and that = several MPG gains.Not to mention horse power.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:12 AM

The turbo break can be installed in the LMM without putting in EFI live if you know the right guy and it is on 100% when the switch is turned on. I had this before my EFI live and I have to say that this type of turbo break is stronger that the one I have built into my EFI live. When I am towing now with my tow tune and there is a large hill to descend I still flip my turbo break switch which override the turbo break on the EFI live tune.

Later
Phil
lockcop likes this.

Silver Birtch,08 LMM, CC, Air Hawk Stainless Mud Flaps, Iron Cross boards, Kenwood/Hertz/Audison, BF Xenon 8000K HID's, BMF M80's, Ready Lift, tonneau cover, Airaid intake, Firestone air bags, Egde CTS guage, EFI live DSP5 and MBRP 4"
http://duramaxtuner.com
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider552 View Post
Do you need one?
you sound like a therapist

10' LMM
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Well heres the scenario guys most of the towing is going to be with a 30' Fifth Wheel with a dry weight of 11,500. I will be doing most of the traveling out west Montana, Colorado, Wyoming etc. Does this make it necessary for me to buy one?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Not necessary but it would be a hell of a good addition. I went threw East and West glacier last year and the hills by St. Mary's Lake I think it is named were a good pull for mine with a 36ft 5th wheel, truck and trailer 22700lbs. Coming down I was glad I had the turbo break and it is not as powerful as the exhaust break. My feeling is if it makes me towing safer for my family and other people sharing the road it is a good idea. I hate seeing those guys pulling 36ft 5th wheels with just a 1500 or a 1500HD makes em scared.

Later
Phil

Silver Birtch,08 LMM, CC, Air Hawk Stainless Mud Flaps, Iron Cross boards, Kenwood/Hertz/Audison, BF Xenon 8000K HID's, BMF M80's, Ready Lift, tonneau cover, Airaid intake, Firestone air bags, Egde CTS guage, EFI live DSP5 and MBRP 4"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac5058 View Post
If you really want or need one I agree with going EfI live,the cost of the aftermarket brake costs as much EFI live and you get many more advantages too.Like DPF and ERG delete and that = several MPG gains.Not to mention horse power.
The difference for me towing without to with EFI live was only 1mpg more, but the power was most appreciated. I think Nick's over 8000lbs tune is only 40 or 60hp but it makes a difference. I also think that the mileage was not as high because the tuning is set up to hold the shift points longer thus keeping the RPM's up keeping you in the power band for towing. Which is really the point of the tow tune. It is not a tow/mileage tune LOL too bad.

Later
Phil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode