Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Egr delete vs DPF delete

13K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  MajorDuramax 
#1 ·
Between a EGR and a DPF delete, on a budget which one should be done first ?

2008 gmc sierra 2500hd LMM 4X4 Z71

#2 ·
Delete, what are you even talking about? That stuff has been banned and is illegal!

#6 ·
If you have someone who can do the tuning, have them turn off EGR actions in the tune (you won't have to do even as much as unplugging the EGR), buy your delete pipe for the DPF delete, and install it. Done. Cheapest, easiest, quickest, and most problem free way of accomplishing what you've asked for

#7 ·
Perfect thank you ! Exactly the answer i was looking for. Can someone close this thread if possible thank you !

Reactions: jakep4401
#10 ·
I doubt you’ll find a downpipe back exhaust for pretty much any vehicle these days.
What you could do is buy a catback straight back exhaust for something like a 2005 Dmax catback.
That’s what I did in 2008 mid-pipe for a delete pipe with a few extra pieces.

Then look for a frontpipe to bolt up to the stock frontpipe with cat, if they are even available anymore, I have 2 Diamond Eye Quiet tone frontpipes with 4 bolt flange one with aftermarket 4” cat.
I put my stock cat back on because of the stinky exhaust.

Attachments

#11 ·
All the parts and tuning is still readily available. Just need to look for it. A certain auction site will be your friend for the exhaust and the land of maple leafs will help in the tuning department.

Basically just search around and you'll find what you need with ease.

#13 ·
Not to jack the thread, but I bought my LMM at a auto auction wrecked. The dpf has been removed. Since the truck was running before the accident causing it to be totaled. Could one assume that if the dpf was removed then the egr is turned off. Is there a way to tell if it is? I didn't think to check for engine codes before I disassembled the truck.

#14 ·
Wouldn't make any sense to remove the DPF and purchase custom tuning and not have EGR turned off in the tuning. Do you have any idea who did the tuning?

#19 ·
Leaving the cat on should tone down the drone and help with the diesel exhaust stink.
Adding a FTE resonator/muffler will help tone down the exhaust sound and drone but you’ll still have that raunchy exhaust stink.

Cat and adding the FTE will make for a pleasant sounding exhaust.
Either way and even both will not alter/change the EGT’s compared to straight exhaust.

#20 ·
My bad i forgot about this thread have had allot going on latley. Alright think you, i dont know what exactly i am going to do since ontario has startred really cracking down on people deleting so i am unsure what i should do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.