Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Texas to Colorado Midnight Blue GMC LMM Truck Conversion Thread

31K views 104 replies 19 participants last post by  Motodrew 
#1 · (Edited)
2009 Imperial Blue GMC LMM Truck Conversion Thread

I recently purchased a clean 2009 GMC 2500HD from Texas. This is my build thread as I plan to convert the truck into a powerhouse for towing sleds in the winter. Here are a few photos I snapped on my trip back to Colorado with the truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sharp truck. Subd

Reactions: Motodrew
#3 ·
First removed the RBP star on the front grill. Also painted everything black behind it to make it pop, however the outline of the star is still visible. Tried numerous cleaning products and can't seem to clean it up. Gonna try SOS pads when I get more free time...

Before:

After:

#4 ·
Welcome

#6 ·
I'm leaning towards this look. Just trying to determine what would be the best paint to use on the mesh grill. Self etching primer?

#7 ·
My first big improvement is going to be new shocks all the way around. These Fabtech shocks are completely shot. I think I'm going to completely remove the dual shock hoops and return to singles up front. What do you guys think? Is it worth purchasing 4 shocks for the front? As for plans this weekend, I am going to be removing the side moulding as well as installing LED lights all around. I have a GMC badge on the way that I'm going to test fit to the grill. I'm still debating whether or not to paint the mesh black. I need some feedback gang!!

Reactions: RedRiding
#8 ·
Just ordered some Bilstein 5100s to replace the worn out Fabtech suspension. I'm going to scrap the dual hoop for now and roll with the singles at each corner. Also got their steering damper as well, because it appears mine is the original and it bump steers pretty bad now. Lots of projects coming up for the truck!

#9 ·
really sharp truck!!!!!

#10 ·
Had a fairly busy weekend but managed to squeeze a few hours of labor on the truck. Got the oil changed. Replaced all the headlights, fogs, & marker lamps with LEDs. Looks sharp. Added '15 Duramax badges to the hood. I'm still unsure about their look. What do you think? I didn't get the side moulding off, but I did remove the grill and painted it. Still have to make some mounts for the GMC badge to be added to the grill. Shocks come Monday!

#12 ·
I can't wait to install these! bouncy:

#13 ·
#14 ·
Today I only managed to replace the steering dampner before running into a major hurdle. You see, I was lead to believe by the dealership that the truck had a 6" Fabtech lift. Turns out it's actually an 8"! So, the Bilstiens I purchased were for a 4-6" lift kit. I may still be able to make them work. I'm planning on losing the 37s and dropping into 35s soon. I'm also going to relax the torsion bars down to 6-6.5" and hopefully be able to utilize these shocks still. I am just going to have to measure my extended & compressed shock lengths between the mounting points with the torsion bars released. If necessary, I think I can increase the size of the drop out bump stop on the UCA to stop the shock from reaching it's full extended length. Hopefully they fall into spec for these 5100s. I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning them. I've already started removing the dual shock hoops. No turning back now! The steering dampner swap was extremely noticeable. So much smoother tracking on the road!

#15 ·
I was able to make the Billstiens work! Utilized some lower shock extenders that those with leveled trucks use. Rides sooooo much better. The Fabtech shocks were worthless. I was riding around on the torsion bars only. The shocks had no resistance or rebound left in them. So glad to have that project completed. Just waiting on new bump stops to come in the mail now. Also got my grill finished. I like how it turned out.

#16 ·
Looks good. What LEDs did you end up going with for the headlights?

#18 ·
This is what I went with. Had a friend do the same setup and they are lasting for him. If you stay consistent and get 160W/6000K for your fogs they should match up well.

Headlights

Fogs

#17 ·
Liking that grille sir. Well done.

#19 ·
Cool thanks.

#20 ·
Spent the weekend camping. We averaged 16.8mpg. Now that the truck is registered the modding can begin! Hoping to squeak out 3-4 more mpgs eventually!

#21 ·
Was able to take some time this weekend and remove the side mouldings. I'm very happy with the results!

#22 ·
Ultimately, I'd like to squat the lift down as much as possible, but I cannot fit the 37s if I do that. Driveway tests show I can lower the truck aprox 1.5"-2" by relaxing the torsion bars as much as possible. Before winter, I'd like to get some chrome wheels and go with 35's. With that said, I test fit some 20" chrome wheels and 35" tires earlier this week. Keep in mind the lift hasn't been lowered but it gives me a general idea of the look. Please let me know what you guys think!

Also, before I bought the truck an aftermarket backup camera was added to the top of the hitch. At some point it's sticky mount came loose and must have bounced against the hitch, thus scratching the lens all to hell. I was able to take some fine sandpaper and then some scratch remover to polish the plastic lens back to nearly new! It's much nicer having a functional backup camera now!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

#24 ·
tires and wheels look good, I say lower the front a little, keep the back up some, dont do the front higher than the rear thing, too many half tons around here trying to look cool with half a lift kit

and the badges on the hood look good to me

#25 ·
Thanks, man! The torsion bars are cranked only about a 1/3 of the way right now in order to fit the 37s, so with them relaxed it should bring the front down 1.5"-2" from my test in the driveway. I'm going to test fit another set of wheels this week that have more of a positive offset to check clearances. If all goes well, I'll be ordering my wheels/ tires soon!

#26 ·
Installed the FASS 150 this past weekend.

#27 ·
Had to work over the 4th of July while my fiance was down in Ouray with her 4Runner. I managed to snap a few pics before installing my new sled deck as well! MBRP exhaust & tune is next!!!

#28 ·