Up pipes and exhaust manifolds - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2007.5 to 2010 LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Up pipes and exhaust manifolds

Is anyone running high flow pipes and exhaust manifold. Tips on putting them on and benefits or noticeable difference. Any pros or cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:43 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

From what I have read from other threads, lower egts is the biggest gain. A good upgrade if you tow a lot or if you run a programmer on a performance tune. Not really a must have for most people, nice to do if you have some extra money though.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

I already did the egr delete , and put in the new air pipe that goes to the y bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

If anyone runs them, does it change the sound of the exhaust?

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Over the past two weeks, i've been researching this. From what i've read, the exhaust note will be a little bit deeper. For stock, non-tuned trucks, not much noticeable difference from the drivers seat and minimal MPG gain, on the dyno HP/TQ numbers do improve slightly. The biggest gains is If the truck has a tuner, such as EFI Live, there will be a more noticeable difference on the higher HP settings, where the program calls for more fuel. Increasing intake flow will see slightly more gains, but there is a limit with a stock turbo. I tow a 5th wheel and other than 5-6 thousand miles a year towing, the truck is a daily driver. For my money, and to help the EFI Live (Idaho Rob tune) I'm looking at the Dmaxstore package deal, just under 800 for teh LMM (the 200 bucks for the coolant hose is rather steep and makes me hesitant). #dmaxstore (Sale) Max-Flow Up Pipes & Manifolds W/ FREE Downpipe, 2004.5-2010 GM 6.6L Duramax | DMAX Store
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edandemma View Post
Over the past two weeks, i've been researching this. From what i've read, the exhaust note will be a little bit deeper. For stock, non-tuned trucks, not much noticeable difference from the drivers seat and minimal MPG gain, on the dyno HP/TQ numbers do improve slightly. The biggest gains is If the truck has a tuner, such as EFI Live, there will be a more noticeable difference on the higher HP settings, where the program calls for more fuel. Increasing intake flow will see slightly more gains, but there is a limit with a stock turbo. I tow a 5th wheel and other than 5-6 thousand miles a year towing, the truck is a daily driver. For my money, and to help the EFI Live (Idaho Rob tune) I'm looking at the Dmaxstore package deal, just under 800 for teh LMM (the 200 bucks for the coolant hose is rather steep and makes me hesitant). #dmaxstore (Sale) Max-Flow Up Pipes & Manifolds W/ FREE Downpipe, 2004.5-2010 GM 6.6L Duramax | DMAX Store
been looking at that set myself.

Btw, i read somewhere that Idaho Rob no longer tunes. Something about EPA? Is this true? if so, where would one recommend going for EFI live tunes? i'm looking to do minor mods but want dpf/egr gone.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:04 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotReally View Post
been looking at that set myself.

Btw, i read somewhere that Idaho Rob no longer tunes. Something about EPA? Is this true? if so, where would one recommend going for EFI live tunes? i'm looking to do minor mods but want dpf/egr gone.
Yes, unfortunately Idaho Rob no longer tunes by the last report, you could always give them a phone call to verify this.
Ridge Runner Diesel, PPEI, Motor Ops, Danville Performance all might be questionable with the EPA stuff, except for maybe Motor Ops which is in Canada, kinda like a step-sister EFI tuning company Dmax Tuner refers customers to.
Call for pricing, I think RRD might be have better pricing.

I feel downpipe back is good enough unless you building a racer, even a aftermarket downpipe doesn't do squat IMO.
Did the diamond eye 3" downpipe because of all the claims with big gains, didn't notice anything except my wallet was lighter.

I wouldn't waist my $$$ on a aftermarket downpipe unless your having issues with your stock one.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson 550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 07-16-2018 at 06:11 PM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:27 PM
DF Sponsors

Obviously I am a vendor on here (for the Dmax Store), but I spent my hard earned dollars on the Max-Flow manifolds/up pipes and down pipe. I tow a fair amount, and daily drive my truck, reliability and cool EGT's are in mind with most mods to my truck. That being said I did some baselines before and after, here are the results that I pulled out of my truck build thread...

Tune 3 (PPEI - stock trans tune) climbing a pretty good grade to my house (daily commute - 7% grade), 3000ft elevation, 65mph, 1,580 rpm.

Before...
Avg Boost: 11psi
Drive Pressure: 7.8psi
EGT (maniford): 1,150
EGT (downpipe): 789

After...
Avg Boost: 11psi
Drive Pressure: 7.3psi
EGT (maniford): 1,090
EGT (downpipe): 748

Throttle response... No scientific data here, just seat of the pants. Feels like from a dead stop (stop light) with no boost, it might take maybe 1/2 second longer to start building boost, but once you have some boost (driving down the road running 3lbs for instance) and you put your foot into it, it feels like it spools up way quicker. From watching gauges, looks like I am running a little under 10% lower drive pressure (every day driving, towing, hauling) and on average about 100 deg cooler EGT's at the manifolds.

Ran the test and tune at the drag strip. Some people were saying the maxflow manifold/up pipe combos were raising EGT's, they definitely don't. Before I did the DmaxStore Max Flow uppipes/downpipe/manifolds, I went to the track, ran the 1/4 mile on my PPEI stock trans tune 1 and tune 4. This was my baseline. The readings I got were Manifold EGT, downpipe EGT, max boost, drive pressure.

Tale of the track
Tune 1 - Stock ([email protected]) - Dmax Store MaxFlow ([email protected]) = .175 seconds faster
Manifold EGT - 1,290 - 1,175 = 115 deg cooler
Downpipe EGT - 629 - 578 = 51 deg cooler
Boost - 33 - 33 = same
Drive Pressure - 62.9 - 61.2 = 1.7 psi lower

Tune 4 - Stock ([email protected]) - Dmax Store MaxFlow ([email protected]) = .112 seconds faster
Manifold EGT - 1,500 - 1,480 = 20 deg cooler
Downpipe EGT - 745 - 735 = 10 deg cooler
Boost - 37 - 37 = same
Drive Pressure - 72.2 - 69.8 = 2.4 psi lower

So dropped temps, decreased drive pressure, and dropped my 1/4 mile times, thats a win in my book. Those numbers are just peak readings in the 1/4 mile, day to day driving I noticed sometimes more drastic drops (towing up grades in higher temps). Same tunes, same tire pressures, only difference was when I did my stock baseline the ambient air temp was 68 deg, and when I ran today (maxflow upgrades), ambient air temp was 77 deg, so almost 10 deg warmer. I also had a 1/4 tank of fuel (according to the gauge) first time to the track and was almost full tank this time. So 10 deg warmer air and prolly 20-25 gallons more fuel.

BTW, that setup with stock trans tunes put down 485hp at the wheels on the dyno.

-Jimmy (aka novaman64)

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
DURAMAX ONLY STORE 1-877-4MY-DMAX

KRYPTONITE STEERING
STAGE 5 ALLISON KITS FROM $1299.00
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxStoreJimmy View Post
Drive Pressure: 7.8psi
Drive pressure? im familiar with boost but not drive? is that the pressure on the exhaust side? Upstream or down of the turbo?

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotReally View Post
Drive pressure? im familiar with boost but not drive? is that the pressure on the exhaust side? Upstream or down of the turbo?
Drive pressure is the pressure build up between the head and the turbo. More efficient fixed vain turbos and exhaust systems will run close to 1:1 boost to drive pressure, on variable turbos they generally run higher numbers because the exhaust side will close to help with quicker spooling. There is no set number carved in stone, but when you start pushing higher drive pressure numbers motors don't tend to last as long, and the odds of cracking a piston or bending a rod go up significantly.

Some tuned stock turbo'd LLY would hit drive PSI number close to 3:1, I am staying below 2:1 with my current setup, which IMO is a good place to be with a VVT.

-Jimmy (aka novaman64)

WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM
DURAMAX ONLY STORE 1-877-4MY-DMAX

KRYPTONITE STEERING
STAGE 5 ALLISON KITS FROM $1299.00

Last edited by DmaxStoreJimmy; 07-17-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode