What lift do you guys suggest? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-10 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 2007.5 to 2010 LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

What lift do you guys suggest?

I have been out of the diesel game for a bit because I bought a new Jeep and have been spending thousands on it LOL. I sold my 5th wheel and now looking to maybe put a slight lift on the old girl. Right now she sits level with 33's, Kryptonite a-arms, ties rods, and PISK. I am thinking of adding a lift just big enough to fit 35 maybe 37s. I would think there has been some changes in the last few years as to what is good and what to stay away from. I know CV angles are important so I what something that gives me a little lift but dose not kill my angles. What kits are popular now?

2010 GMC SLE 2500HD 4x4 White CCSB – 33 TOYO AT2's – Method Racing Wheels – Kryponite A-arms - Kryptonite sway bar ends – Rare parts tie rods – Moog Idler & Pitman arms - Cognito PISK - Fox 2.0 shocks – McGaughty drop shackles – Edge Insight EAS and backup camera – PPE modded air box – MBRP 4inch DPF back – Line-X – Amp steps – Fumoto valve – Firestone towbags w/ compressor – JL10 sub and amp - Katzkin leather seats - Filled with Amsoil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

BDS and Cognito are the most popular. CST also makes a good lift. The important thing to look for is non torsion bar drop.
D_R_C likes this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can,Motorops TCM+ tuning, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light,
Kryptonite uca’s & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Are there any kits out with zero cutting or do you need to cut the knuckle off the front diff for all kits? Also, should I just run a 6 inch and flatten out the angels as much as possible or just run a 4 inch. Its been awhile since I talked lifts on here and trying to remember whats best?

2010 GMC SLE 2500HD 4x4 White CCSB – 33 TOYO AT2's – Method Racing Wheels – Kryponite A-arms - Kryptonite sway bar ends – Rare parts tie rods – Moog Idler & Pitman arms - Cognito PISK - Fox 2.0 shocks – McGaughty drop shackles – Edge Insight EAS and backup camera – PPE modded air box – MBRP 4inch DPF back – Line-X – Amp steps – Fumoto valve – Firestone towbags w/ compressor – JL10 sub and amp - Katzkin leather seats - Filled with Amsoil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:24 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Pretty much with any lift you’ll have to do some cutting.
I started off with a leveling kit after 5 years having a crappy ride, I finally went with a 4” Cognito non torsion bar lift, cutting was necessary.
If you want to raise the front up without cutting, a leveling kit is about your only choice raising about 2 1/2” - pushing 3” max.
Along with having a stiffer front ride.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
AirDog 4G100
DHD PCV re-route

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmax16 View Post
The important thing to look for is non torsion bar drop.
Why is that important? Most kits will drop the LCA using a bolt in solid piece so wouldnt that change the t-bar angle to the point where it would need to be dropped?

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Pretty much with any lift you’ll have to do some cutting.
I started off with a leveling kit after 5 years having a crappy ride, I finally went with a 4” Cognito non torsion bar lift, cutting was necessary.
If you want to raise the front up without cutting, a leveling kit is about your only choice raising about 2 1/2” - pushing 3” max.
Along with having a stiffer front ride.
Yeah I am leveled now but I did a drop shackle to do so with fender trim. I prefer not to cut but its not a big deal if I need to. With the 4 inch are you getting 4 inches of lift with flat angels? I remember back in the day the was a conversation in a thread about getting the 6 inch and running it as flat as possible.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:05 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotReally View Post
Why is that important? Most kits will drop the LCA using a bolt in solid piece so wouldnt that change the t-bar angle to the point where it would need to be dropped?
Here you decide.
When I decided to go with a 4 " lift the shop told me to save $$ and just do a normal torsion bar drop lift.
As you can see in the pictures below the difference in a torsion bar lift and a non torsion bar lift.
Considering the shop suggested that with the drop I really wouldn't notice anything, what I figured out was the good possibility of high centering when off road.
This cost me an additional $800 parts and labor, which I felt they should have ate some of the labor.
IMO do it right the first time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Torsion drop 1.jpg (60.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg non torsion.jpg (87.6 KB, 38 views)
knotReally and CDmax16 like this.

Dan
AirDog 4G100
DHD PCV re-route

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:18 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCRIG View Post
Yeah I am leveled now but I did a drop shackle to do so with fender trim. I prefer not to cut but its not a big deal if I need to. With the 4 inch are you getting 4 inches of lift with flat angels? I remember back in the day the was a conversation in a thread about getting the 6 inch and running it as flat as possible.

Mine's a Cognito listed as a 4" - 6" lift non torsion bar, originally I had the redi-lift leveling keys, then when I went with the 4" lift I had the stock keys put back in.
If I wanted a 6" lift I'd leave the leveling keys on, with the stock keys you'd be able to go up 4"-5".

It's a true 4" with the keys pretty much all the way down, I only adjusted enough to get it as level as I could side to side.
The rear of my truck is still stock no blocks, I needed at least 4" up front to just get it fairly level.

Dan
AirDog 4G100
DHD PCV re-route

Last edited by D_R_C; 06-04-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Here you decide.
When I decided to go with a 4 " lift the shop told me to save $$ and just do a normal torsion bar drop lift.
As you can see in the pictures below the difference in a torsion bar lift and a non torsion bar lift.
Considering the shop suggested that with the drop I really wouldn't notice anything, what I figured out was the good possibility of high centering when off road.
This cost me an additional $800 parts and labor, which I felt they should have ate some of the labor.
IMO do it right the first time.
Thanks for the photos.
No doubt dropping them reduces clearance and your pictures completely remove any doubt that they dont, if any existed to begin with. However, i just figured dropping the LCA and leaving the tbars stock would put too much of an angle on the bars/keys in the stock position.

Clearly not or you, and everyone else, wouldn't have'em setup like that.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
I don't have mine installed yet but I was just in your shoes doing a bunch or research, finally decided on the BDS 4.5.

For me the main reasons I decided to spend a little more for BDS was their no hassle warranty, if anything breaks on the lift they replace it period.

The second was they have a guaranty that the dealership won't void your warranty because you have the BDS lift installed, if the dealer tried the BDS lawyers will get it resolved.

Mine's sitting in boxes on the garage floor, just waiting for a good time to install everything. Had some powder coating done while I wait, and the rear blocks and shocks are already installed from my level that I have now.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode