Fuel filter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Fuel filter

Hey all. So this morning went to take my kids to school, truck started up no problem. However after driving about 200 ft it bogged down and DIC came on saying to change fuel filter. When I parked it last night filter was at 91%. So I have no idea what's going on. It is a '15 Silverado 2500 LML D-Max. Any insight would be helpful. Little nervous about the dreaded CP4 bomb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Ain't lookin' back

Garage
How many miles do you have on the filter? If it's over 10K, I'd just change the filter.
mrmanners likes this.

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country - Graphite - CC/LB DRW 4x4 (L5P)
R.I.P. Julie the Dually - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC/LB DRW 4x4 (LML)

DF DRW Club Member #237
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsolo View Post
How many miles do you have on the filter? If it's over 10K, I'd just change the filter.
I just bought it used with 71k. Have only put another 1000 on it since. Seller said it was just replaced in August...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Ain't lookin' back

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman12983 View Post
I just bought it used with 71k. Have only put another 1000 on it since. Seller said it was just replaced in August...
For ease of mind, I'd replace it. Furthermore, I would replace all the fluids/filters as well. The "seller" could have replaced it in August, maybe of last year.

Nevertheless, congrats on the purchase. Re-baseline your maintenance schedule by replacing all the fluids and filters. That way you know what's in there and when it had been replaced.

Just my thoughts...
mrmanners, JimmyD, HWI and 3 others like this.

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country - Graphite - CC/LB DRW 4x4 (L5P)
R.I.P. Julie the Dually - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC/LB DRW 4x4 (LML)

DF DRW Club Member #237
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
When I parked it last night filter was at 91%. .....

Any insight would be helpful. Little nervous about the dreaded CP4 bomb...

....I just bought it used with 71k. Have only put another 1000 on it since. Seller said it was just replaced in August...
Doesn't sound good, sry.
Fuel filter life per DIC %, is 10+k miles.
Perhaps like @dlsolo suggested, maybe August of '18 (or the PO forgot to clear the DIC %).

It is possible though, since your fuel source differs from the previous owner...could be bad fuel related.
OR....
If you've been fueling up with B10/B20 bio, and the fuel system has never seen it, it can act like a solvent and clean out the black asphaltines coating all of the surfaces, which can quickly clog up a fuel filter.

Install a new TP3018 filter. If it is a Bio scenario, it will continue to flush things out (& clean injectors), and lube up the whole fuel system.
So having an extra filter on hand, might be prudent.

I would be cutting open the old filter to inspect for metal though.
JimmyD likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsolo View Post
Quote:
For ease of mind, I'd replace it. Furthermore, I would replace all the fluids/filters as well. The "seller" could have replaced it in August, maybe of last year.

Nevertheless, congrats on the purchase. Re-baseline your maintenance schedule by replacing all the fluids and filters. That way you know what's in there and when it had been replaced.

Just my thoughts...
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to start putting some wrench time in. Was planning on doing a lift pump in the near future when I was gonna do the filter. I was more just concerned about the fact it went from 90's on the DIC to failure overnight. Wondering if anyone ever seen or heard of that before?
Thanks for advice
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:58 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey all. So this morning went to take my kids to school, truck started up no problem. However after driving about 200 ft it bogged down and DIC came on saying to change fuel filter. When I parked it last night filter was at 91%. So I have no idea what's going on. It is a '15 Silverado 2500 LML D-Max. Any insight would be helpful. Little nervous about the dreaded CP4 bomb...

i had the same issue, ended up being a bad filter head. replaced it, added in the relocation bracket while i was at it, havent looked back since. If it was the CP4, you would know about it pretty quickly, my understanding is its not a very gradual failure and basically goes from working great to not starting period.

I believe in my case the filter head was leaking enough air into the system to cause it to detect a fuel restriction. The change was immediate after replacing the head, and i was around a similar mileage to you.

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'm gonna have to start putting some wrench time in. Was planning on doing a lift pump in the near future when I was gonna do the filter. I was more just concerned about the fact it went from 90's on the DIC to failure overnight. Wondering if anyone ever seen or heard of that before?
Thanks for advice

i went from 90% and change to 0 % instantly on the highway without even turning the truck off. there was no sounds, change in power ect, just the dash warning showing me what i thought was a CP4 failure about to happen. Ended up replacing the filter head after a few comments on this forum recommended it and its been running great for months now.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 10-08-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 PM

I had a similar situation happen, fuel filter life went straight to zero while driving, reduced engine power notification as well. Changed the filter, helped for a bit, but the issue returned. Ended up pulling the bed and getting in the fuel tank, previous owner had dropped cardboard type seal off of a fuel additive bottle down the filler neck, would clog the pickup tube and starve the motor of fuel. Just a thought, make sure you don't have anything floating around the tank that shouldn't be there!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:41 PM

Good info, Austin. I've been guilty of letting a piece of that foil that covers the top of unopened additive bottles fall into the filler before.

2008 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab Z71
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

What year is your truck?

If it is an 11-16 I think the first indication of a CP4 failure is that code. If that is the case, this is NOT good!

ANY other scenario would be a blessing!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in