Glow plug won't pull out. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Glow plug won't pull out.

2013 lml with 100k miles. Threw a code for glow plug on cylindar 4. The plug unthreaded easy. No issues there but cant pull the flow plug out all the way. It feels like there is a swollen or melted tip that will not allow it to be pulled through the hole. Any advice? I don't want to break the tip off if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:51 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Any chance of getting a picture of the area that your dealing with, if your trying to remove the glow plug with the socket still on, that might be the problem.
If I remember right #4 was a problem, I had to screw it back in a little remove the socket then finger'er it out.
I found having a 1/4" drive 12 mm 6 point deep socket cut it to 1 1/4" long makes for a much easier plug removal.
These are my tools of choice R & R-ing glowplugs.
Attached Images

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Dan, #4 is the hardest one to get to with the steering shaft in the way. However, I'm using the same setup you recommend. I had about an inch between the outside end of the glow plug and the steering shaft when I was trying to pull it out. I also counted the number of exposed threads on glow plug and compared it to the number of threads on the replacement plug and they were the same so I know I have the threads all the way out but it won't come out any further when I pull. I'll try to grab a picture this weekend since I ended up putting everything together. I have not yet tried to change any of the other ones which might tell me something. At this point this thread can be moved out of the 911 section if it matters to anyone.

2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71
EZ Lynk, PPEI 5 Pack w/ TCM Tune
5" Flo-Pro Stainless Steel Exhaust
Fass 150 Lift Pump
Deviant EGR Block-Off Plates
Cognito Upper Control Arms
ReadyLift Torsion Keys
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The tip may have burst and now is larger in diameter than the hole it slides into. What you DO NOT want to do is break off any portion of it and have it fall into your cylinder. If you start the engine with it in there it cn have disastrous results.

I believe if that happened then the only way to safely remove it would be to pull the head. A tedious and expensive proposition.

Better to screw it back in. I read a thread where someone put a 4.5 Ohm resistor in the GP lead and grounded it, fooling the GPCM into thinking it was there and working. The fact is your engine does not need the GPs to start except in the coldest of conditions
mizterwizard likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:08 PM
HWI

I have 2 glow plugs that are seized in the block and broke trying to get them out. I just let them be and deal with the CEL precisely because of what 407driver said, don't want to snap the tip off and have it drop into the cylinder. If I ever pull the driver side head then I will deal with them.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
I have 2 glow plugs that are seized in the block and broke trying to get them out. I just let them be and deal with the CEL precisely because of what 407driver said, don't want to snap the tip off and have it drop into the cylinder. If I ever pull the driver side head then I will deal with them.
If you put a 4.5 Watt resister in the line between the terminal end for the GP and then ground it it will trick the GPCM into thinking the GP is there and no CEL. There is a thread on here that someone posted about this. Id do it if I needed to, the CEL is a PITA!
HWI likes this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
If you put a 4.5 Watt resister in the line between the terminal end for the GP and then ground it it will trick the GPCM into thinking the GP is there and no CEL. There is a thread on here that someone posted about this. Id do it if I needed to, the CEL is a PITA!
Good idea, thanks.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Glow plugs losing their tips are no joke.....
DaJokr likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM

So I bought this to look in the cylinders of my engine when I was having issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has several fitting for the end, one is magnetic. I pulled the injectors and went through that opening. If you do break a tip off this might help.
mizterwizard likes this.

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:12 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Iíve had the shorter one 4.92í for about one year, I bought it to retrieve a metal clip inside my Jetskis fuel tank that came off the fuel cap chain.
It handles being in fluids just fine, with a clear picture on your phone or even a iPad and has a light on the tip off and on switched if itís to dark inside.
mizterwizard likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode