Cannot get oil pan off... Im STUCK - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Cannot get oil pan off... Im STUCK

So changing the pan out to a PPE... got the crossmember off, bolts and nuts off the oil pan, and back out the trans bolt.

I have tried everything to get this pan off... tried a chisel like PPE recommends. Theres only on spot (above the sensor hole) that I can even get to with a chisel. It started to damage the upper pan so I stopped.

So I then tried the gas pipe method. Pushed in the sensor and utilized that hole as a prying point. I broke the pipe off at the 90, so flipped the pipe and tried again.... it broke again. This is insane.

Im stuck.... I have no choice but to find a way to get the pan off as I shoved the sensor in. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Stick a few bolts back in and put a piece of wood against it n beat it with a hammer. Pry, pull, beat, cuss, yell, whatever it takes.

2012 QCSB/Built 6.8L Cummins/48RE/Gated shifter
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:51 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I called my dealer buddy.... this is what he uses.

https://www.otctools.com/products/pan-seal-cutter

Harbor Freight has this, which would work too.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:52 AM

I'm dreading taking mine off,thinking a little heat to soften the rtv may be in order.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Finally got it off (thats what she said). Marred up the upper pan, but hoping the rtv with still seal. Been test fitting the new pan... boy is this gonna be tough
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I remember mine being tough to get off as well, but the PPE has never leaked, and I get all of the oil out now.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode