Clutch Pulley needed! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Clutch Pulley needed!

I posted elsewhere and it's not showing in Active topics so sorry for the repeat. I'll add a pic of the new bumper but heres the issue.
My alternator clutch pulley sounds like trash. It just started outta nowhere and it sounds like it's not going to last long. I do long distances for work so I gotta fix this fast.
I'd like to replace just the pulley if possible since the alternator only has 75k miles on it. I actually just replaced the batteries for $400 just 3 weeks ago. Another $459 for an alternator would suck.
If I cant get just the pulley, would it be possible to upgrade to the 220 amp alternator without alot of fuss or extra cost?
I also recently bought a 12k winch and cradle so I think the bigger alternator would be beneficial but not a necessity.

Any help is really appreciated!! Oh yeah 2016 Lml
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:39 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I ran into this several years ago. I found a source for the pulley from a local starter/alternator rebuild/supply shop.

Problem was, the cost. I found it was a better deal to just buy and swap in a new unit.
Rock has your OE unit, $216. (spend half of that for just a pulley)

Or if you think you'd benefit later on with the 220, add another $100 to it. (difference is internal)
Even the Dealer Parts is cheaper than the ridiculous parts store price of $500.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hook, I tried every source i could to get just the pulley but nothing was coming up.
I'll try Rock for the direct replacement unit. I got the winch pretty much knowing I'll use it once every couple years just like 4wd lol. For 20% off $400 at HF it was worth the little extra peace of mind. I'll wait for the next alternator to go out before upgrading to the 220 amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:46 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I too scored the 12k winch, mounted to the big trailer for recovery insurance.
Have yet to use it, but it's there. That plus the ball mount receiver on the rear, I can snatch a disabled truck and trailer and get 'em back to home base, pulling doubles.

Oh, and the replacement Alt....has lasted longer than the OE one.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Yeah after had to use a come along to get my dad's POS car on my trailer I told myself I'm getting a winch when the price is right.

I'm waiting on my quick connects to arrive. Gonna have 2 set ups. One for the front and a second with a 24' jumper cable setup. That way I can mount it on my trailer while still hitched or put it on someone else's stuck rig to get them out. Or just put it in my rear receiver to pull myself backwards.
It all fits nicely in my tool box. Had to trim 3/4" off the cradle hitch but still works. All I ever tote in the box is emergency stuff anyways.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

A winch is seldom used, but when it is needed nearly Nothing else will do.

If you dont' have one, a snatch block and a chain to connect to something solid comes in handy too, doubles the pulling power of the winch

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I do plan to get a snatch block and an extra chain. Heres how it's set up for now.
Attached Images

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

When I lived in N CA and I used to crawl around in the mountains hunting and sometimes just for the hell of it.

I had an old F40 Landcruiser and an old F100 4wd w/(NO POwe Steering) and that winch and snatch block got me out of a couple things I would not have gotten out of without them.

The First time you NEED it, you will be glad you have it!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:20 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I added a second alt to my truck, but if I was going to replace my stock one I would use a dc power 270xp... that is what I added as my second one. 200 Amps at idle and 270amps max.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2012- Denali HD 4x4 2500
Xpel clear bra, amp steps, Inyati Bedliner. Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer-Rancho 9000XL Shocks
PPE PTO-front/rear/Allison covers with transynd and amsoil severe gear oil. Magna-flow DPF back exhaust.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:30 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

A quick search as I am in Phoenix.... a 320 amp hairpin stator 459... just an idea...

https://phoenix-alternator.com/MPart...AEPN=8292ND320

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2012- Denali HD 4x4 2500
Xpel clear bra, amp steps, Inyati Bedliner. Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer-Rancho 9000XL Shocks
PPE PTO-front/rear/Allison covers with transynd and amsoil severe gear oil. Magna-flow DPF back exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode