Kennedy Lift Pump? - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
While the logic sounds good, it doesn't hold up in real time pressure testing I've done. The filters involved have very little pressure drop. The CP3 can pull thru 3 filters with NO lift pump involved. It's doubtful the little JK pump would be strained, routing it one way or the other.

The pressure drop between a fresh filter and one that's at end of life is only 2"Hg. It will work either way, before or after. But a FWS filter is most efficient when the fuel is pulled thru it, not pushed (per Baldwin). This is how your stock fuel supply is set up.

When you do add a LP, including an aux filter head for a FWS before the pump, maintains that efficiency, and greatly improves the life of the under hood filter, which is now your secondary filter. One from being downstream of a 10m filter. Two, positive pressure thru the stock filter will utilize more of the full media, with no voids left, which you'll find under vacuum use.

Height location isn't much of a concern. Per JK, what kills the pump is trapped air from not priming properly. It leaves tell tale internal wear marks seen when they open it up for warranty. And he states that if they find those wear marks, any warranty is voided.

Summation; there's no wrong way to mount one, just a better way than others.
A centrifugal lift pump and a gear driven radial piston injection pump are 2 totally different pumps. I have seen Kennedy pumps burn up because people put a FWS filter before it then fill up with a bad tank of fuel which plugged the filter therefore the pump ran dry and died. That is why with Kennedy pumps you put the filters after it. Centrifugal pumps are better at pushing fuel than pulling it. The filter after the Kennedy will still do the same job and ensure long lift pump life.
LMLLover likes this.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM

And I drain water out of my tractor filter all the time. Condensation in humid weather is a bitch.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
With a Kennedy pump you want to go after as to not starve and burn up a pump. As the filters start to load up the pump can continue to push through the filters you keep you going.
The issue I see with that is that the FWS works best under suction, before the water is emulsified in the pump.

I see, after reading the entire thread Im not the first to point this out.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 10-22-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
The issue I see with that is that the FWS works best under suction, before the water is emulsified in the pump.

I see, after reading the entire thread Im not the first to point this out.
And the water is not getting emulsified when you pump it into the tank or while driving and the fuel is sloshing around in the tank or in the case of Fass/AirDog lift pumps with fuel being returned to the tank or the return line from the engine that dumps fuel back into the tank ? I have been examining my fuel filters since day one and have wasted a stupid amount of time doing this. The first 10,000+ gallons of fuel was with no lift pump and the CP3 pulling through 2 filters. Then 12,000+ with lift pump pushing through the 2 same exact micron/brand filters. The filters have always looked the same and never once have I had water in the second filter. Now I realize 22,000+ gallons of fuel is a small amount but I should have noticed something if one way was clearly better/worse by now.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:00 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Suction has nothing to do with it.... it's the "pre pump" location that supposedly has better water separation abilities.

That said... I saw I guy in a Cummins truck pull up the the gas pump, take off his fuel cap.... and you would swear there was someone in the fuel tank , blowing vape smoke out.

A big A/D pump setup was hanging out from under his bed.

If someone stuck a video camera inside a fuel tank with a A/D of Fass set up, I'm sure you would see a big, frothy , Niagra Falls looking mess with all the returned fuel freefalling back into the tank, and if you stuck the same camera in a Kennedy plumbed tank, it would be the exact opposite.

You want clean, calm, low pressure and high volume fuel supplied to the CP 3-4. Thats what the Kennedy does.

If you want hot, frothy, high pressure, muliti time circulated air entrained fuel, buy something else.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Soooooo....................to get back to my original question. Can the pump be mounted right below the cab at the same level as the top of the tank and pump ok?

2016 GMC 3500 SRW PPEI Tuned w/ EZ-Lynk.
2005 RCLB, 4x4, my old shop mule with 280,000 miles. Love this truck!
Avatar = 1969 Chevy C20 over a 2002 LB7 4x4 chassis and drivetrain........
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:17 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOregon View Post
After rethinking all of this I think I will run the pump down below by itself and the Racor or Baldwin BF46062 in the stock location.
I thought you answered your own question.

If your going to all the trouble to add a lift pump, I would add filtration too.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
That wasn't the original question, but yes...above, below, beside it,...wherever you choose.

Quote:
What keeps the fuel from bleeding back on a Duramax?
What keeps the cola in the straw with your thumb over the end?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! The end..........

2016 GMC 3500 SRW PPEI Tuned w/ EZ-Lynk.
2005 RCLB, 4x4, my old shop mule with 280,000 miles. Love this truck!
Avatar = 1969 Chevy C20 over a 2002 LB7 4x4 chassis and drivetrain........
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:31 PM

Aaron, I did a Kennedy pump on my 2500 Saturday and mounted it on a bracket in front of the tank. I *think* itís for the evap canister on the gassers. Itís out of sight and high enough to avoid getting snagged offroad but sits low in relation to the tank.

But Iím with the other guys if primed properly and no leaks in the system you could mount it on the roof and it would pump just fine

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled on 35s, Kennedy pump, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode