Kennedy Lift Pump? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Kennedy Lift Pump?

I have a Kennedy lift pump I am moving over to an LML I just picked up. After doing the custom bracket for the pump and filters and trying to get it nice and tight up against the cab floor I realized that the pump is higher than the tank. What keeps the fuel from bleeding back on a Duramax? I don't want to get air locked in the pump being higher every time I shut it off. Does the pickup-tube have a check valve or something in it? Thanks guys.

2016 GMC 3500 SRW PPEI Tuned w/ EZ-Lynk.
2005 RCLB, 4x4, my old shop mule with 280,000 miles. Love this truck!
Avatar = 1969 Chevy C20 over a 2002 LB7 4x4 chassis and drivetrain........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:39 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Centrifugal pumps are terrible at drawing fuel. The pump should be as low as possible.

That said... once the system is bled, the only way for the system to lose prime, is for air to enter somewhere.

You could have the pump on the roof, but as long as the system is air tight, it doesnt matter.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:42 PM

I donít believe thereís anything on the factory system but it would be easy enough to add a small inline unit if you wanted too just for piece mind.

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled on 35s, Kennedy pump, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:46 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
The fuel filter under the hood....it's above the tank.
Oh, the horror.
Enigma66, 407driver and KaliMax like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Here is John Kennedy's response to my question:

I would not do that. I would also not do the filter thing. The first question I ask when a customer calls about issues with my pump(s) is do you have any filters mounted near the pump?

Trying not to be an ass about it, but people always want to reinvent the system. Water separators donít work. Iíve never seen anyone regularly remove water from their drain.

John Kennedy
Kennedy Sales and Service
W3567 26 Rd
Loyal WI 54446

Not sure I agree with this at all......

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOregon View Post

I would not do that. I would also not do the filter thing. The first question I ask when a customer calls about issues with my pump(s) is do you have any filters mounted near the pump?

Trying not to be an ass about it, but people always want to reinvent the system. Water separators donít work. Iíve never seen anyone regularly remove water from their drain.

John Kennedy
Kennedy Sales and Service
W3567 26 Rd
Loyal WI 54446

What is this filter thing you want to do ? I have over 450,000 miles on my van and I have never once drained a filter. I always just check for restriction and change as needed.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOregon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK
And yet, he uses the feature as a selling point for his overpriced Mega aux filter kit, that looks to be a major PIA to change the filter (and you thought the stock one was a hassle).
https://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=241

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK site
Built in drain to aid in servicing, and allow periodic sampling for water.
I've found water in my drain sampling on the (Baldwin BF1233) aux FWS filter.
Also, there are instances when you will have your WIF warning appear in the DIC.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Right? And he says not to have filters around the pump, but it is ok if you put an extra mega-filter up front under the airbox to catch the coldest of windchill in the winter running down the road. I don't understand that theory at all. I was going to add a BF1212 before it and a Donaldson filter after it. You guys see anything wrong with that? I was just worried about the pump being up so high. Didn't know he was going to crush all my dreams..........

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:59 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
You guys see anything wrong with that?
That's how I ran mine....just both are Baldwins (which could very well be for the Donaldson too, made by Baldwin )

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...-pump-kit.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode