911 Wont Start - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Hook'em_Horns!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

911 Wont Start

*** Newbie here ***I have a 13 LML that has had all he the usual DEF system issues in the past.. a few days ago the service Deisel exhaust system message popped up (again) so we were looking into a delete kit to put on it but this morning the truck wouldn't start it just cranks?? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated on how to get the truck running till I can the Def sytem off of it.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Did you scan for engine codes? I'd start there...

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
Fass 150, CP3, Up pipe, Down pipe, EZ lynk w/ 5 tunes SOTF, Magnaflow exhaust, DPF delete, EGR delete
PCV re-route, 4 inch Fabtech lift, 35in tires
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:50 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Crank an' no fire on a Dmax, 1st always check the primer button for firmness/loss of prime. Push 'til firm and try to start.
J83, mstein86 and dl0310 like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsooner View Post
*** Newbie here ***I have a 13 LML that has had all he the usual DEF system issues in the past.. a few days ago the service Deisel exhaust system message popped up (again) so we were looking into a delete kit to put on it but this morning the truck wouldn't start it just cranks?? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated on how to get the truck running till I can the Def sytem off of it.
Thank you!
As hook said, most likely cause of a no start if the engine is turning is fuel delivery, a bad filter head will drain fuel out of the lines back to the tank, and it will take a lot of cranking to reprime the fuel line. (you should not crank the engine to prime the line) Use the button on the filter head to prime the fuel lines, push it until you cant push it any more, then try to start the truck.

This is more or less what the filter head looks like and its location.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Yup that's what it was... primed it a few times and it fired right up! so apparently theres a leak somewhere that's allowing it to loose prime.
Thank you guys very much!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:19 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Wild temp swings can trigger the worn marginal seals to give it up and leak by.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Garage
Bsooner,

My $.02 worth

It is time for a lift pump, replace the flexible hoses and rebuild the filter head.

If I let my truck sit for more than one day, I had to prime the fuel system, turn out being bad seals in the filter head; the lift pump will pressurize (8-10 PSI) the suction/feed side and most of the time show you where you where it is sucking air with an oily spot or squirting diesel.

Go with a reputable brand and search the forum for lift pumps...honestly most street trucks will never reach the 95 GPH, I got a deal for the 165 at the same price, so my fuel is extra, extra, extra, extra clean

2008 2500HD 4x4 CrewCab All stock (for now), Airdog Lift Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode