In very cold weather, should I idle until the RPM settles down? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

In very cold weather, should I idle until the RPM settles down?

I always assumed that it was good for the engine to idle for a few / couple of minutes at start-up, to let the engine RPM settle down.

Right now the temps here in South East Wi range from 17-30 deg. In the morning the truck RPM is about 850 when first started. After couple of minutes it settles down to just below 500rpm.

I am reading conflicting advice on the net, with some experts claiming idling an engine is bad. While others say idling for extended period of time is bad, but there is no definition of what entails "extended period of time", though I assume it means well more than start-up idle, so over 15 mins.

So is it good or bad to let my LML idle for a couple of minutes , until the RPM has settled down?
Dales Super Store likes this.

2013 Silverado 2500HD crewcab 4x4 LT Z71 diesel standard box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I always assumed that it was good for the engine to idle for a few / couple of minutes at start-up, to let the engine RPM settle down.

Right now the temps here in South East Wi range from 17-30 deg. In the morning the truck RPM is about 850 when first started. After couple of minutes it settles down to just below 500rpm.

I am reading conflicting advice on the net, with some experts claiming idling an engine is bad. While others say idling for extended period of time is bad, but there is no definition of what entails "extended period of time", though I assume it means well more than start-up idle, so over 15 mins.

So is it good or bad to let my LML idle for a couple of minutes , until the RPM has settled down?

it comes down to what you consider idling. Do you consider a red light to be idling? Personally i have no issue remote starting my truck in the mornings, and letting it run for 10-15 minutes. The soot and carbon accumulation you'll build up from idling for a few minutes is trivial, and the warm engine with fresh warm oil pumped through it is going to be a lot happier when you hit the go pedal. Up here its not uncommon on older diesels to set them to idle for 30 minutes to get warm, though the LML's with there high idle warm up a lot faster. On the other end of the spectrum there are also slope trucks that idle for days straight, literally never being shut off. Dont worry so much about idling. Its better to let the engine be warm, lubricated, and happy, then to worry about how many minutes the truck sits idling. That said, on a emissions intact LML, idling will likely have a negative impact on regen interval, but again, insignificant in the grand scheme.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 01:14 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post

imho, it depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

In cool (not cold) weather I usually wait for it to idle down (mine trucks have all lived outside, and I use remote start, so that doesn't mean I'm sitting in the truck waiting for it)

You should enable the 'elevated idle' function.

When it's warm, it will do nothing.
When it is cold enough (ambient and engine coolant temp) it will run the idle at 1050 rpm. It also sets the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat. This also warms the transmission oil.

If your truck lives outside, remote start and the 'elevated idle' are your friends in the winter.

Remote start will run the truck for 10 minutes. It can only be used twice and then a key cycle is required before it can be used again.
(the fob can be used to extend the first cycle -- but the time extension counts as the 2nd cycle)

There is a bunch more info about 'elevated idle' in the duramax supplement.
(Don't confuse this with the 'high idle'; or 'fast idle' function which is for a different purpose, and needs to be activated manually)
Once coolant temp reaches about 150F, the 'elevated idle will shut itself back off.

Elevated idle is supposed to only work below 32F. This was true on my LML, but my L5P seems to engage elevated idle a few degrees above 32F, although I haven't been able to sort out what the limit is.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:22 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Mine is a 2006, but the owner's manual says "When your engine is cold, let it run for a few minutes before you move your vehicle. This lets oil pressure build up. Your engine will sound louder when itís cold."
br1chter likes this.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LT
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:32 PM

I just discovered fast idle on my L5P last night.

Usually sleeps in the garage, but on a trip yesterday it sat out all day. 35F when I started it and it idled up to about 850 or so for about 10 minutes. Had the truck a year and never seen this before.

the high idle option is not listed on my build sheet and I have not made/changed any settings for this, so assume it is something built into all trucks, like the coil spring choke on a Rochester Quadrajet. (Ahh, the good old days...)

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:40 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
I remote start and let mine idle for 10 mins in the mornings-and plug it in over night. Been in the 20ís lately.

All other times, even in summer, I start and wait at least 30 seconds if itís been sitting. I just feel it allows for fluids to get to the right place.

If your truck is emissions intact then maybe just make sure you have a good long drive sometime through the week.
J83 and Dales Super Store like this.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:18 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If it makes you feel any better my trucks been remote started for the last 15 minutes so i can be warm on my way to lunch.
KazMan and AK49 like this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:29 PM

Garage
lol

2019 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD CC DRW. Frost White/Jet Black interior. L5P w/Allison 6sp. Bone stock and looking for you all to tell me what's supposed to added...or shouldn't be to this signature. Gasser converting over to that diesel lifestyle
Adds:
Tonnosport Roll-up Cover | DuHa underseat storage | center console top tray | Carhartt seatcovers F&B in Gravel Gray | Lund Window Deflectors | Swinging bed toolbox pass. side | Duraflap Mud Guards | BedRug Bed Mat |
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
imho, it depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

In cool (not cold) weather I usually wait for it to idle down (mine trucks have all lived outside, and I use remote start, so that doesn't mean I'm sitting in the truck waiting for it)

You should enable the 'elevated idle' function.

When it's warm, it will do nothing.
When it is cold enough (ambient and engine coolant temp) it will run the idle at 1050 rpm. It also sets the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat. This also warms the transmission oil.

If your truck lives outside, remote start and the 'elevated idle' are your friends in the winter.

Remote start will run the truck for 10 minutes. It can only be used twice and then a key cycle is required before it can be used again.
(the fob can be used to extend the first cycle -- but the time extension counts as the 2nd cycle)

There is a bunch more info about 'elevated idle' in the duramax supplement.
(Don't confuse this with the 'high idle'; or 'fast idle' function which is for a different purpose, and needs to be activated manually)
Once coolant temp reaches about 150F, the 'elevated idle will shut itself back off.

Elevated idle is supposed to only work below 32F. This was true on my LML, but my L5P seems to engage elevated idle a few degrees above 32F, although I haven't been able to sort out what the limit is.
I have no idea if my truck has the "elevated idle" option. It does not have remote start, far as I can tell.
Will I be able to use a scanner tool to find out if it has elevated idle?

I am also a but confused on what elevated idle does. Do you mean it runs the engine at 1050 rpm all the time when it is idling, and this RPM never drops? And how does it set the torque converter, fan and turbo to create more heat? Does this higher heat generation subside once the truck has been on the road a few miles, or does it always maintain a specific minimum temp? Does it noticeably affect fuel economy?

2013 Silverado 2500HD crewcab 4x4 LT Z71 diesel standard box
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:59 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
If it makes you feel any better my trucks been remote started for the last 15 minutes so i can be warm on my way to lunch.
Knowing I'm not the one going to lunch at 4pm...it does make me feel better.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode