Oil change gone bad - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:40 PM

This is the reason that I only use my dealer for oil changes. They have a great service dept and if they mess it up they will fix it. They are the only ones that I will let touch my truck. It does cost more, but they can never tell me that someone else messed up my truck.
Epicenter likes this.

2015 GMC 2500 HD Denali, Cooper ST MAXX 35-12.5-20, 5" Rough Country lift, & EGR pocket flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 03:25 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

This is a little off point but not really. I recently had the skin replaced on the left side of my bed. The shop had to remove the bed.

I had taken my aux tank out but left the pump, solenoid and hoses in place.

When I got the truck back, and transferred fuel the first time it seemed to be transferring VERY Slowly. Then I saw diesel fuel on the ground when I pulled into my driveway.

Turned out they nicked (slit) the fuel hose right where it enters the T fitting at the fuel tank vent hose. Im getting so I dont' trust anyone any more.

BTW, for those of you who don't know me, I too am one who does ALL of my own maintenance. I know it is done correctly and, it helps teach you about your truck.

PS. You should document this issue and notify the place that did the work. Take photos of the double seal, or no seal, as has been reported by others with Mobile 1 filters. Any damage that manifests itself later based on low, no oil flow should be the responsibility of the shop that screwed up.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 11-18-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Garage
@sleeperlml good luck, i hope there is recourse for all of this and they dont deny it.

2004 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 213,XXX miles, Glow shift Pillar Gauges Pyrometer, Boost gauge, PPE boost valve, PPE High Idle switch, Merch Auto welded water pump, PPE coolant hoses, Mishimoto thermostats, 4"RCD LIFT, 35" TOYO A/T XtremeII, Bilstein 5100's, 4" Magna Flow Cat Back, MBRP CAI, Stage III trans, PPE Stage 3 Tie Rods, Sinister coolant filter kit, Powerstop Brake kit F&R, Firestone bags, Accuair on board compressor w/ 3 gallon tank. #whitetrucksmatter

1967 Camaro "Drive it like you stole it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
Ya I do all the work on my truck and if I have time on the wifeís terrain. But it goes to the dealer because we get a great deal on syn oil changes through the service manager.

When I drove a company truck years ago, they wanted us to use those fast change places because we had a fleet card. Lord ha mawcy, those guys were clueless as hell. I didnít trust them a bit. I would stand right there and watch every move.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:05 AM

It was mentioned that the GM dealer would be a place where one would have confidence when changing oil or grease job. After my two year "free maintenance" I took my truck to my normal mechanic and was told that my vehicle was never greased. So much for dealer confidence.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

They claimed once they pulled the filter that it had a split in the seal. Saying it was defective out of the box. I wish the tech would have inspected the seal before installing it. That is if it was even split. The next oil change is free if I go back. I never seemed to have lost oil pressure so I hope all is fine. However now every little noise I hear makes me nervous.

2012 Chevy CCLB 3500HD LTZ LML Delivered 12/28/2011

2004 Chevy CCLB LB7
EFI Live, 5in magna flow straight pipe, Air dog II 165, Banks CAI and scoop, Banks big head waste gate, Intake horn mod, Spek gauges, 33x12.50 toyo mt's on XD monster 18's Sold.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:27 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Makes you wonder how old that filter was if the seal was split. I suspect that would have created a noticeable leak immediately on startup IF they had taken the few seconds to look at it. I always run my finger over the seal ring with some clean oil on it to lube it and to make sure there's no nicks or junk on it. I also only use Mobil 1 filters....
The Silver Fox likes this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperlml View Post
They claimed once they pulled the filter that it had a split in the seal. Saying it was defective out of the box. I wish the tech would have inspected the seal before installing it. That is if it was even split. The next oil change is free if I go back. I never seemed to have lost oil pressure so I hope all is fine. However now every little noise I hear makes me nervous.
If they admitted the seal was split they as much s stated it was their fault, since they installed that filter. They may be able to go back on the filter manufacturer but that is not your problem it is THEIRS.

Get them to put that info in writing about he split filter, tell them you want recourse against the filter manufacturer when in fact is Them you are looking to go after if you have a mechanical issue resulting from this.

You may in fact be OK if you never lost pressure but you never know. Id be nervous as hell too if I was you.

All this very thing is why in the aviation business we do a ground run and "leak check" any time anything regarding lubrication, hydraulics, etc is disconnected and reconnected before we fly that machine again.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
.........All this very thing is why in the aviation business we do a ground run and "leak check" any time anything regarding lubrication, hydraulics, etc is disconnected and reconnected before we fly that machine again.
Truer words have never been spoken........

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Garage
All this very thing is why in the aviation business we do a ground run and "leak check" any time anything regarding lubrication, hydraulics, etc is disconnected and reconnected before we fly that machine again.[/QUOTE]

Yes I was taught that any time you do a oil change you start vehicle and hit the floor and watch for oil immediately to ensure no leaks. Then leave running for a min or two as your finishing paperwork or adding mileage sticker. Then check again.

2016 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6l LML

DOP (used) 10/16/19 @ 8,641miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode