Oil change gone bad - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Dealers cant be trusted either. Not all, but it's hard to find one that you can trust. One of my local dealers I took my 11 in for my "free" oil changes. I got it home 25 miles later and the oil was black as coal. All they did was rub the drain plug area of the pan with a rag and sis the same to the oil filter. How do I know, I marked the top of the filter with a paint pen and it was still marked when I got it back home. They also said they greased the zerk fittings. Well they missed them all except the lower ball joints. That was 6 years ago. I recently went back because my other local dealer said they couldnt fit my 2015 dually on the rack to check the front end alignment. So I had to go back and they said the steering pull is because my tires that have a mere 15k on them are bad and the front end was out on one side by .05*. They said I had tire pull and if I were rotate them it would pull to the other side. Well, they were rotated 100miles BEFORE I took it in and it still pulls the same way.
A completely different dealer did the first oil change on my dads brand new Vette. Surprisingly it lasted about 200miles before he noticed it had an oil leak. The dealer sent a flat bed and brought it to the dealership and he rode with it to the dealer. The service manager took dad back with it and they found the original filter o-ring was stuck on the the block. Fortunately there was only a few drops of oil on the underside. Dad said the service manager ripped the oil change guy a new a$$ right there on the spot. This particular dealer bent over backwards about it and really stepped up.
Now here's the big question,... a Vette and a Duramax cost about the same so did they do it because it's a Vette and not a truck?? For the most part a truck and a Vette are treated completely different by people, except me. My truck is my Vette and is treated like one.
The Silver Fox likes this.

2015 3500HD LTZ Crew, Dually, 4x4, B&W Turnover/Companion, Mag Hytech DD trans pan, AAM finned rear diff cover, bone stock
99 2500 Cummins in frame off restoration (slow process)
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...sto-build.html
2017 Northpoint 375BHFS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 PM

I need to kick in here a bit.
I totally agree that the best circumstances are to do your own maintenance but that isn't reality for many of us.
With a couple of high school son's, full time job, working wife and 4 vehicles to maintain I simply can not do it.
What I have done is develop relationships with folks that have earned my trust.
And I still walk through and inspect the work while it progresses. I've had them verify fill amounts on fluids with me since vehicles are so specific now.
I also take in a clean vehicle with clean air filters, cabin filters, fresh wipers, you get the idea. They recognize that I value my vehicles.
So far this approach has worked well.
And I think there are plenty of good businesses who can do a proper job with a good result.
Always, it's Buyer Beware.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:24 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Too Busy?
You mentioned right off that you had two oil change apprentices with nothing to do.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Too Busy?
You mentioned right off that you had two oil change apprentices with nothing to do.

Your forgetting that High school boys these days donít know or care what a wrench is, let alone how to use one.

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35Ēs, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:10 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
yep....they also don't know or care about takin' the trash out either....but it happens.
407driver and The Silver Fox like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Too Busy?

Precisely where I learned how to maintain my vehicles. What little boy doesn't want to do what he sees daddy doing?

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:20 AM

I own an oil change business, not a quick lube, more of a mobile fleet service business. It’s not uncommon for orings to leak. Filters can be defective from the manufacturing process. Manufactured out of round or a slight problem with the o ring and bam you are leaking. I’ve also seen metal drain plugs physically fail and become like a diff plug or grub screw whereby the shoulder of the bolt fails and physically separates. All that said I’d establish a relationship with a local shop you trust instead of a quickie lube and or even the dealer. I don’t trust dealers as far as I can throw them.
The Silver Fox and Jbeck1986 like this.

2019 HD 3500 Chassis cab 4x4w/ 11í service bed
2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost fx4
2015 Ford Transit T150 ecoboost
2012 Subaru Outback
2004 Subaru Forester turbo XT 0-60 4.6 Sec
1987 Saab 900s turbo
1955 Willyís CJ5
1960 Willyís CJ5
1970 AMC CJ5 Renegade 1 of 500
2019 Airstream 22 sport fb
2017 husqvarna TE 250
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 11:04 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
This is one of the reasons that I take my truck to one of the local GMC dealers for oil changes. I really like that the oil change rack is right outside of the customer lounge with several large picture windows that look into the oil change/garage area.

Obviously, can't seem them change the filter but can see that the oil is changed and that Mobil 1 is put back into the engine.

so.... not trying to defend the jiffy lubes of the world here, however the 3 bad experiences ive had with oil changes (significantly over filled, double gasketed, and filled with the wrong grade oil) were all from my GM dealer. In fact, i get better service from the local dodge dealer and they use rotella, so i just go there instead.

I agree, OP;s issue sounds like its double gasketed though. Scared the crap out of me the first time i saw these black oil stars sprayed in the fresh snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman32 View Post
This is the reason that I only use my dealer for oil changes. They have a great service dept and if they mess it up they will fix it. They are the only ones that I will let touch my truck. It does cost more, but they can never tell me that someone else messed up my truck.
Wanna trade dealers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAShooter View Post
It was mentioned that the GM dealer would be a place where one would have confidence when changing oil or grease job. After my two year "free maintenance" I took my truck to my normal mechanic and was told that my vehicle was never greased. So much for dealer confidence.

now THAT sounds like the dealerships i know. Never once have i see a clean grease fitting after an oil change. The inspection sheet is totally pencil whipped. Bald tires marked in the green, missing bulbs marked working, oh.... but the oil leak? yea they found that and recommended several thousands of dollars in repairs.... thanks guys.

This would be the same dealership that misdiagnosed a blown IC boot as a failed EGR cooler.... based on the "diagnosis" from 3 different "diesel techs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperlml View Post
They claimed once they pulled the filter that it had a split in the seal. Saying it was defective out of the box. I wish the tech would have inspected the seal before installing it. That is if it was even split. The next oil change is free if I go back. I never seemed to have lost oil pressure so I hope all is fine. However now every little noise I hear makes me nervous.

Based on the amount of oil you had to add, i suspect your fine. It doesent sound like you lost oil pressure either from your post so i dont see any cause for concern besides the mess to clean up under the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLY Cat View Post
Makes you wonder how old that filter was if the seal was split. I suspect that would have created a noticeable leak immediately on startup IF they had taken the few seconds to look at it. I always run my finger over the seal ring with some clean oil on it to lube it and to make sure there's no nicks or junk on it. I also only use Mobil 1 filters....

Or timmy the FNG cranked the filter down so hard it extruded the seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabiggertrailer16 View Post
Your forgetting that High school boys these days don’t know or care what a wrench is, let alone how to use one.
I dont think thats true. Sure, there is a loss of interest in that kind of work, but ive worked with and trained plenty of kids only a couple years out of highschool who had no problem turning a wrench, or digging through an engine bay. Yea... its getting harder to find any with decent work ethic, but honestly thats not there fault. Cant blame the kid for what the parent and schools didnt teach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
I own an oil change business, not a quick lube, more of a mobile fleet service business. It’s not uncommon for orings to leak. Filters can be defective from the manufacturing process. Manufactured out of round or a slight problem with the o ring and bam you are leaking. I’ve also seen metal drain plugs physically fail and become like a diff plug or grub screw whereby the shoulder of the bolt fails and physically separates. All that said I’d establish a relationship with a local shop you trust instead of a quickie lube and or even the dealer. I don’t trust dealers as far as I can throw them.

you have seen a steel bolt threaded into an aluminum pan, fail at the bolt head? Im not saying i dont believe that, but i would love to see pictures of that failure. Maybe its a rust belt thing i just dont know about?

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 11-22-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 09:47 PM

@J83 it was a steel bolt and a steel pan on a freightliner M2 with a cummins ISC engine. The design of the drain plug is such that the shoulder of the bolt is to thin and thus cracks form, especially if over tightened; and like I said eventually failure. Iíve actually seen it several times and have the drain plug in my rig for show.

My point was more like shit happens and they are a machine and things fail. Itís most likely this was a double gasket situation as thatís more common.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 09:43 AM

They are machines and things do break , but when you have folks that don’t care then they just don’t care. Some just want a paycheck. When I work on diesels
( Cummins ) all day long the last thing I want to do is fix someone else’s issue that they cause. Definitely be back in someone’s grill getting crap done and done right. The end customer is my bread and butter and I would rather have you watching and calling me out rather than you broke down and one mad hornet when you return and IF you returned. I’ve seen stuck filter o-ring , and seen filters not rolled correctly from the factory. Inspect all filters, seals , etc before installing. Always start and run before giving back to the customer. I would rather tell you I caused an issue but fixing it. You might be little warm now , but would probably understand and be glad that I was honest and up front. Happy customer will be returning customer.
J83, 269_Bob and Montucky like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode