Oil change gone bad - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Oil change gone bad

Got my oil changed today at Mobil one. Saw a few drips earlier in the day. But got in the the truck tonight and the dic says add oil. Checked the level and there’s none on the dip stick. Crawled underneath and the underside is coated with oil. Added four quarts and it’s halfway up the dipstick. Fired it up and it coming out of the filter.

2012 Chevy CCLB 3500HD LTZ LML Delivered 12/28/2011

2004 Chevy CCLB LB7
EFI Live, 5in magna flow straight pipe, Air dog II 165, Banks CAI and scoop, Banks big head waste gate, Intake horn mod, Spek gauges, 33x12.50 toyo mt's on XD monster 18's Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:03 PM

Sounds like a double gasket. Some people don’t check to make sure that the gasket on the old filter comes off with the filter. It gets stuck to the filter housing. When they put the new on they break loose the old gasket and you are leaking. This happens a lot at those fast oil change places. Pull the filter and replace it. Unless they stripped the filter housing, this is my bet. I wouldn’t reuse the filter. Probably messed up the new gasket. Good luck and keep us posted.

2015 GMC 2500 HD Denali, Cooper ST MAXX 35-12.5-20, 5" Rough Country lift, & EGR pocket flares.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:14 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

^this. Pull the filter and check for a double gasket on it. Or they used a filter wrench and tightened it too much and damaged the threads.

NIC R
"Flat Back Gorilla" Daily/Tow rig- 04 GMC Sierra LB7 CC Flatbed/Tune/Exhaust
"Empty Pockets" Race/Pulling truck- 2012 CCSB Cummins/Built Engine/48RE Swap/PCS2000/
B&M Ratchet shifter/Big fuel/Big air/Lowered

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:41 PM

Garage
This is why I don’t let anyone change my oil. I have had friends who worked at quick lube places that have told me horror stories like this. Or worse. Like starting it up with no oil and not noticing till there’s a knocking coming from engine. Then just adding the oil and never saying a word to anyone and sending it out to the customer.

A few weeks ago I had my tires rotated at the tire shop down the way. Asked them to lube grease points since I hadn’t had a chance since buying this truck. I asked him how many there were after. He said one on each side. I thought that sounded strange but haven’t had a vehicle this new or a duramax diesel. So I didnt wanna tell him he was wrong with out checking. Checked and found out there was a total of 9! Was beyond pissed.

I ended up calling the shop foreman for something else since I work at a RV repair shop and we use each other of service at times. I mentioned this situation and before I could finish he said it should be 9 or 11 depending on the year. Then said only he and one other guy would have known off hand. I told him that I was going to be requesting him to do the work on my truck when I come by for now on. He was glad to do so and appreciated that we didn’t have this discussion in front of the entire crew or in front of customers.

My point is either you make sure you can trust who you have working on your truck or you do it your self. Changing the oil in these trucks can usually be done with out a jack most of the time.

2016 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6l LML

DOP (used) 10/16/19 @ 8,641miles.

Last edited by Jbeck1986; 11-16-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

This is one of the reasons that I take my truck to one of the local GMC dealers for oil changes. I really like that the oil change rack is right outside of the customer lounge with several large picture windows that look into the oil change/garage area.

Obviously, can't seem them change the filter but can see that the oil is changed and that Mobil 1 is put back into the engine.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 AM
"THEEPASUCKS"

This is the reason I do all of the work on our vehicles!! Such BS!!

2008 2500HD LTZ
EFI LIVE - Edge CTS2 Insight - Transgo Jr.
6" Superlift - 35" Trail Grapp's - 18"Mazzi Hulks
Amp Research Steps - Billet Grille - PCV Reroute - DE Down Pipe - MBRP SS Exhaust
Cognito Braces - Fabtech HD Tierods - PPE Deep Pan - LML Manifold
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Like others have said, do your own basic maintenance yourself, you will save a LOT of money, know what products are used and know that things are done right...or at least who to blame if they aren't done right!!! I installed a Fumoto valve on my pan when I first got it, makes changing oil a lot easier. Been doing mine for over 10 years now and so far it's always been done right...
rjwpavo and Jbeck1986 like this.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Iíd be going back to that shop and making them fix their screw up. Make a scene, cost them some business. They could have cost you an engine.

Iím also in the DIY club, because of crap like this. With Google, YouTube, and a decent set of tools thereís a hell of lot you can do yourself. I donít do my own work so much to save money as I do to know that itís been done right.

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35Ēs, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

I currently don’t have a decent place to do my own work. I used this oil change place for over 10 years without a problem but I’ll be having them fix it and replace the cost of the oil I’ve had to purchase. If it was an oil change before a road trip it would have probably been the end of this engine
BOWTIE67 likes this.

2004 Chevy CCLB LB7
EFI Live, 5in magna flow straight pipe, Air dog II 165, Banks CAI and scoop, Banks big head waste gate, Intake horn mod, Spek gauges, 33x12.50 toyo mt's on XD monster 18's Sold.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I like turning wrenches. Try to do everything thing I can. But like I said I don’t a space to do it right now and don’t like using people’s places or things.
BOWTIE67 and The Silver Fox like this.

2004 Chevy CCLB LB7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode