2014 lml p0420 code - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I am on a road trip that started in south Georgia and I am on my way to Shiocton Wisconsin. I am towing an 18 ft flatbed trailer with a light load. 3000lbs including trailer. There are no mods on the truck. I am half way through my last tank of fuel.

I stopped at rest area and when I started the truck everything appeared fine. I saw the check engine lamp come on. I pulled off the highway to check fluids. Not finding anything, I drove on to a safer place to take a look and get my code reader that was packed away.

I came up with these codes:
P0420 three times.
P220b
U029d
U029e
P2610

I will attempt to clear the codes with my tool but I think a couple are permanent codes.

I'd like to know if I can continue to drive. Am I looking at a possible breakdown? Or is this just an emissions related issue?

Any information will be appreciated. Getting back on the road in 24 hours.

2014 silverado crew cab 2500 w/t
Manual transfercase
Rollup windows
Stock configuration

Last edited by Los1wing; 11-30-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 06:43 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
Fill out your signature with info on your truck. That will help us fill in the blanks.

It looks like you’re CAT is sooted up or bad and your NOX sensors are faulty. Im afraid you may have succumb to the good ole emissions failure. This will most likely limit you’re speed if you continue.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I reset the codes with the exception of the perm p0420 code. I will continue with the trip tomorrow. We will see how it goes. No power issues yet.

Manual transfercase
Rollup windows
Stock configuration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Has your truck gone thru the regen process on a regular basis?

This information is published for my 2008 LMM truck - yours may be different:
  1. Inspect for the following conditions, which may cause a diesel oxidation converter (DOC) to degrade:
    • Off Road Fuel or Red Dye Fuel
    • Low quality B-20 fuel
    • Fuel Containing high sulfur content
    • Engine oil or coolant consumption
    • Leaking fuel injectors
  1. Inspect the DOC for the following conditions:
    • Physical damage or alterations
    • Internal rattles caused by a damaged catalyst substrate
    • Exhaust leaks before or after the DOC.
    • If a condition is found, replace the DOC.
  1. If all exhaust system inspections are normal, replace the DOC.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

It went through at least one regen since I left south GA. I only noticed because of the higher than normal idle at a traffic stop. After the codes I saw it go through a regen on my scan tool. It showed, on active 100%. When it was finished it said off passive 49% -52%

Manual transfercase
Rollup windows
Stock configuration
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
You want the bad news or the worse news...…(there is no good news about this kind of malfunction....!).

Are you confusing the CAT with the DPF ? in either event, your truck's computer is programed to go into "limp mode" when there is a malfunction in that portion of the pollution devices. Given the internal components of a CAT, I would be quite surprised if your problem was there. I am also surprised your truck has not yet gone into "limp mode".

"Limp mode" isn't funny. If you un-hitch and abandon your load, you will be able to move the truck - on level roads you can often get up to maybe 40 mph. Pulling any kind of load...? Forget it - your truck may or may not be able to maintain about 15 mph - really lovely for the Interstates.....!

What to do?

Elsewhere you will find "threads" on how to resolve the problem. To get your truck back in service, you do NOT need to do a "full delete".

A "full delete" is a terrible thing - causes massive deaths in bunny wabbets, A0C will need a double dose of Midol....and when human life ends on Planet Earth in ten years because YOU deleted your truck, YOU will be held personally responsible. And worst of all, you will be deprived of the delightful excitement, wonder and anticipation because your truck's computer will no longer be able to, without warning, put you into "limp mode".

The LEGAL and RESPONSIBLE solution is do what the "big boys" do - the OTR's who have the same problem, in that they also are equipped with pollution controls pretty much identical to ours.

Well....with these differences. Of course they are much larger, & they are designed to be field serviceable.

All over the country are shops who specialize in cleaning out DPF's. Many have the advanced and sophisticated devices to "clear" your truck's computer, so you start out fresh. I would guess a DPF, either new or PROPERLY cleaned, should be good for upwards of 80,000 mi.

More bad news - read the small print - you will find warning after warning that extensive idling - even slower speed driving can overload a DPF to the point that "on board" re-gens can not clean it. Yes - there is such a thing as "forced re-gen". You can try that; my own experience is that when a DPF is that clogged, if it works at all, it will only be good for a few thousand miles if that.

True, many of these big shops do not bother with consumer-grade trucks like ours - too much trouble for them. But there are shops that do. Figure about $700. They will cut your old DPF out of your truck, cut it apart, clean it PROPERLY (with a badly stuffed DPF on-board "re-gens" will only work, if at all, for a while) & re-install with "quick disconnect" fittings so you will be able to remove it easily yourself next time it needs cleaning.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.

Last edited by 6686L; 11-19-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

The truck does normally run it's own regen. The codes say cat inefficiency. And related codes were not sensors. So is my problem a clogged cat or clogged dpf? Does a clogged dpf cause the cat inefficiency problem? Thank you for your reply.

Manual transfercase
Rollup windows
Stock configuration
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los1wing View Post
The truck does normally run it's own regen. The codes say cat inefficiency. And related codes were not sensors. So is my problem a clogged cat or clogged dpf? Does a clogged dpf cause the cat inefficiency problem? Thank you for your reply.
..…...…………………………………………….
you are correct - all modern trucks are set up to do their own regens. And as I noted, you can, if you have the equipment to enter your truck's computer, do a "forced regen".

Elsewhere in this forum you will find folks who will question whether "re-gens" have ANYTHING to do with CAT issues. I agree - from my own admittedly limited understand of how the pollution systems and controls work, I do not see how a "regen" ( either "forced" or otherwise) can effect a CAT.

And yes, that particular code infers a CAT rather than a DPF issue. Given the construction of a CAT, I would be surprised if that could clog up. It MAY be that somehow, the chemicals in a CAT have gone bad & that is what the "sniffers" are picking up. I would be surprised if that happened on a relatively low-mileage vehicle. My own experience is that regardless of what the code "reader" says, you have a clogged DPF.

Some shops, and some guys working out of their trucks, have OBD II "readers" far more sophisticated than what us ordinary folk have access to (and can afford...!). My recommendation is that you find a competent diesel shop and have them figure it out. Hopefully, my own GM dealer isn't the only one determined to give responsible, competent, ethical service - sounds like many of these guys posting in this forum have had bad experiences. Again, the "trick" here is getting COMPETENT technical advice.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.

Last edited by 6686L; 11-19-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Finding someone competent is the problem. Especially since I am on the road. I can see many of the sensors related the cat and dog but I have no idea of what normal readings look like.

Manual transfercase
Rollup windows
Stock configuration
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I am actually pretty scared to drive my Chevy with the emissions issues that I have had and now having. I don't have much choice at this point, I have to finish my trip back to south . Is Gereral Motors doing anything to address these emissions problems or just correcting them on newer models? I can't even bring my truck to a dealer for the code. After reading the post here, I'm not so sure I will get the help I need . Just a large bill to take care of a flawed emission system. I will update when I get home and the dealer looks at it, or on the side of the interstate.

Thank you all!

Manual transfercase
Rollup windows
Stock configuration
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode