Elevated idle not working - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Elevated idle not working

I turned on the elevated idle a few weeks ago. My trucks been sitting for a full day and it’s 29 degrees out. Went outside and started the truck. Coolant temp was 39 degrees and outside temp 29 but no high idle kicked on. Am I missing something ? 2011 LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

What do you mean "turned on the elevated idle?
Normally you don't have to do anything- if its cold enough it will ramp up the idle speed after a small period of time.
Later in the post you mentioned "high idle"". Two different things- high idle is an option, elevated idle is on all dmax's except maybe the first ones.

2019 Chevrolet 4500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2018 Chevrolet 1500 CC 4X4 High Country 6.2 liter
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed--SOLD
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins--SOLD
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC: 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Elevated idle can be turned on & off. High Idle is different than elevated idle. Revs up to a higher RPM and initiated by pressing the parking brake and the cruise control buttons (at least on my yr model truck). How long did you let the truck idle for? I have my elevated idle tuned on my truck and it has yet to turn on this year as well. Most of the time its cranked in the garage but a few times at work it hasn't come one. Been waiting for it to get colder and park it outside for the night to see if it works.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
Elevated idle can be turned on & off. High Idle is different than elevated idle. Revs up to a higher RPM and initiated by pressing the parking brake and the cruise control buttons (at least on my yr model truck). How long did you let the truck idle for? I have my elevated idle tuned on my truck and it has yet to turn on this year as well. Most of the time its cranked in the garage but a few times at work it hasn't come one. Been waiting for it to get colder and park it outside for the night to see if it works.
mines kicked on at least a half dozen times already.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc502 View Post
mines kicked on at least a half dozen times already.
That's kinda all relative to where ya live haha

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 09:47 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

GM's instructions really added to the confusion by the way they describe the warm-up feature:

Cut and paste from 2011 manual:

Elevated Idle

The engine has a cold temperature high idle feature which elevates the engine idle speed from base idle to 1050 rpm for pickup models or 1200 rpm for van models when outside temperatures are below 0C (32F), and the engine coolant
temperature is below 65C (150F).

This feature enhances heater performance by raising the engine coolant temperature faster.

This feature can be turned on or off using the DIC buttons. If the vehicle is not equipped with DIC buttons, do the following to turn this feature on or off:
1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN, with the vehicle off.
2. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold while quickly pressing the brake pedal three times in less than eight seconds.
3. Release the accelerator pedal and start the engine.

When the engine is started, it will slowly ramp up to the high idle speed after a delay of a few seconds up to approximately
two minutes.

For this method to work properly there must be no throttle or brake pedal faults.

The engine idle speed will return to normal once the following conditions are met:
. Once engine coolant temperature reaches 65C (150F).
. Air intake temperature reaches 0C (32F).

The high idle speed will be temporarily interrupted and the engine speed will return to normal if any of the following conditions occur:
. The brake pedal is applied.
. The accelerator pedal is pressed.
. The transmission is shifted out of P (Park) or N (Neutral).
. Vehicle speed is detected.

Once these inputs are removed, the engine idle speed will slowly ramp back up to high idle after the normal delay, if the conditions for engine coolant temperature and air intake temperature are still met.

There are separate instructions for the optional Fast/High Idle feature that is operated with the cruise buttons.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY

Last edited by redwngr; 12-14-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denarli6.6 View Post
That's kinda all relative to where ya live haha
yup,and its been cold up here in MA lately,,yet today mid 40's.time to wash the truck.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I activated the elevated idle as stated above by pressing the gas pedal and hitting the brake 3 times and it came up in my DIC that it was activated. The other morning it was 29* and the engine was ice cold. I started the truck and it idled for 10 min at 7-800 rpm until I drove off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode