"Must Do" items after buying used? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

"Must Do" items after buying used?

Can you guys help me out? I'm looking at buying a used 2015 LML with ~130k miles. What are the "must do" items for an LML with high miles to ensure it lasts for years to come? I understand that deleting makes a big difference, but it's not as easy as it used to be. So, what are the legal things that need to be done?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 08:06 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I just bought a 2015 on Monday and these are the things I plan to immediately start to do. Mine has just over 57k on it.

Use a good fuel additive (I chose optilube xdp), and also installing a lift pump. Obviously using good fuel is a must as well.

Slightly longer term I have a weight and fluid loss plan in the works for it.

2015.5 2500HD LML
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 08:19 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Me personally, I would replace every fluid in that vehicle so I could do a "fresh" reset on my maintenance record.
AlisoBob, JimmyD, SheeB and 3 others like this.

2017 GMC Denali: 5% tint all around, 55% windshield, RC traction bars, 6" Fabtech, 20x12 Hostile Stykers, 35x13.5 Toyo A/T
2003 LB7 ECSB Too much air, too much fuel(Died 26May2017)
Daily Driver: 2014 Cruze TDI, cold air intake (best mod ever), 5% all the way around

PhotoBucket: http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mic...bock1/library/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Coal Roller View Post
Me personally, I would replace every fluid in that vehicle so I could do a "fresh" reset on my maintenance record.
This for any used car I have purchased.
mwswarrior likes this.

2017 Sierra 2500HD Denali Dmax
2011 Silverado 3500HD Dually Dmax
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:05 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CROW View Post
Can you guys help me out? I'm looking at buying a used 2015 LML with ~130k miles. What are the "must do" items for an LML with high miles to ensure it lasts for years to come? I understand that deleting makes a big difference, but it's not as easy as it used to be. So, what are the legal things that need to be done?

TIA

change all the fluids and filters so you have a fresh start on service, then drive the wheels off. on the LML's its a good idea to fill up at high volume gas stations and use an additive like optilube or similar to extend the life of the CP4. The fuel pump on the LML is different then previous generations and is one of the weak links on the truck that did not exist in previous generations.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:51 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Coal Roller View Post
Every filter too.... and only use the AC Delco fuel filter.
JimmyD likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Must do for any used vehicle: Clear all the key fobs and reprogram what you have.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:25 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
Must do for any used vehicle: Clear all the key fobs and reprogram what you have.

This is a good idea that not a lot of people think about, i know up until recently i didnt give it a lot of thought.

Background: i have installed remote starts and similar hardware in cars and truck professionally for many years.

I was having a conversation with one of our other techs a few years back as there was a whole bunch of really weird breakins that shouldent be possible. Peoples cars getting broken into that were locked, not jimmied, no broken glass ect.

I made a comment one day that all someone at a jiffy lube or the like would have to do is have a spare viper / compustar / whatever remote in there tool box, and they can pair it to as many vehicles as they like, write down the customer info and hit the car later with very low risk.

well fast forward a couple years and just recently the police took down a major operation that was doing just that exact thing, pretty sure it was at my local GM dealer too if i remember the article right.

Moral of the story, you should also clear your remote start fobs if you have an aftermarket system. Most can pair up to 4 remotes but only come with 1 or 2.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

It's like moving into a new place. The locks should be changed, the garage door remotes and keypad cleared.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 08:00 AM

I'm with the others here in resetting all maintenance I can do so it's fresh and a know the timeline and that it's done right with right fluids and filters. this would include oil, trans, diffs, xfr case, air & cabin filters.

I would also take a look at the coolant and depending on mileage change it too.

Some fuel treatment to clean the system.

Take a close look at tire wear to see if an alignment and rotation is needed or perhaps some wear items or idler and pitman. No need to ruin good tires!

If it wasn't detailed, I'd get a used vehicle detailed including a good under carriage and engine bay cleaning. This makes leaks and other issues easier to detect.

I also usually get a good set of mats to save the carpets at the outset.

Recently I started replacing the headlights and driving lights with quality LEDs that are typically brighter and will definitely last A LOT longer than typical replacements.

'18 Colorado ZR2 LWN 2.8L Diesel.
De-badged & Flagged. Soon to be "Bison'd"
'09 Sierra 2500HD LMM CCSB--SOLD

'05 Silverado 2500 LLY CCSB--SOLD

Other:
'14 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
'19 Chevrolet Tahoe 6.2L

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode