DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid Issues - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid Issues

I am needing assistance on an issue with my LML Duramax (2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD).

I recently got a check engine light which Onstar and All American Chevy indicated a generic code but when I went to an OBD Scanner it read out P21DD (The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs.)

I consulted with All American Chevy and they believe I need to replace the DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid Reservoir Heater Kit but he wasn't 100 percent sure unless they run a full diagnostics with is going to cost me $185 plus repair. Before purchasing these part(s), I want to see if anyone has ran into this issue and what was the resolution.

Also, if it is recommended to replace the DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid Reservoir Heater Kit, do you have any places other than these two providers?:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9DY0I629&psc=1

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:21 PM

My personal belief is that I would go with the GM one instead of an aftermarket.

269 Bob
2019 Chevy 2500HD Midnight Edition
SW Mich.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:12 PM

If you suspect the heater is the culprit, I just dealt with this. Go on youtube and watch the part1 and part2 videos from South Main Auto Repair. This guy is a great mechanic and he shows you every step he did to diagnose the exact issue. Whether or not you are gonna fix it yourself, if you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance of all three heaters. If they check out then its something else. Dont spend your money till you know for sure.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD CCSB LML
-275/65R20 Firestone Destination MT2, 20x9 Moto 970s, Kryptonite Stage2 level kit, ccm diff drop, Suspension Maxx 1" Rear blocks, Bilstein 5100, Kryptonite PISK, Kryptonite swaybar links, Edge Insight CTS2 w/ egt probe, ironcross steps, retrax roll-n-lock
-Fluids- Schaeffers Supreme 9000 Syn. 5W-40, Mobil Delvac Syn. ATF (TES-295), Amsoil SevereGear 75W-90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Did you notice this thread currently active?
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...il-delete.html

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:24 PM

I definitely notice that thread as I literally posted a question last night. I am bypassing heater as Im in FL and dont need a heater. Just not good with computers to know how to post a link. Sorry
Theres alot I need to learn about navigating the forums and helping others with links to previous threads.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD CCSB LML
-275/65R20 Firestone Destination MT2, 20x9 Moto 970s, Kryptonite Stage2 level kit, ccm diff drop, Suspension Maxx 1" Rear blocks, Bilstein 5100, Kryptonite PISK, Kryptonite swaybar links, Edge Insight CTS2 w/ egt probe, ironcross steps, retrax roll-n-lock
-Fluids- Schaeffers Supreme 9000 Syn. 5W-40, Mobil Delvac Syn. ATF (TES-295), Amsoil SevereGear 75W-90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode