How many use additives at fuel up... - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

36Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:42 PM

I have started using optilube xdp since I got the truck.

2015.5 2500HD LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:59 PM

I have an LMM and only add Stanadyne when the temp drops enough for me to worry about gelling. Since you have a LML with a CP4 pump I would run a lubrication additive with every tank. Too many people are seeing issues with failures of the CP4 pumps. When the pump fails the cost to rebuild the fuel system is quite expensive. Dean
post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckslayer88 View Post
Agreed, liftpump or no lift pump. Clean fuel is an absolute necessity with any diesel, lift pump with extra filtration will help this. However lubricity is another [U]MUST[U]. The only way to add lubricity is through additives.
Well you could find a fuel supplier pumping biodiesel blends B5 or B20 as it's amazing for its lubrication qualities. Not so common in colder climates though. Be cautious as biodiesel has known to clean up the fuel system and plug the fuel filter prematurely.

Advertisement

post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:03 PM

Isn't 5-20% BioDiesel in all fuel nationwide now?

2016 GMC 3500 SRW PPEI Tuned w/ EZ-Lynk.
2005 RCLB, 4x4, my old shop mule with 280,000 miles. Love this truck!
Avatar = 1969 Chevy C20 over a 2002 LB7 4x4 chassis and drivetrain........
post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 08:50 PM

Garage
Diesel Kleen gray every tank. Trying the Hotshot for a change next tank
post #16 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:32 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I have used Optilube XDP in every tank since it was new.
JimmyD likes this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags,
Nitro 4.30ís w/Nitro TracRite posi...
post #17 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:45 PM

Iíve been filling through transfer tank,10 into 2 micron fs.Takes forever for dash to move down a %.
Stan-lubrisity then opti ,now shafers.Gallon jugs is where itís cheaper.

16 GMC Denali 3500 stock for now
post #18 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:16 AM

Garage
Trying this for the first time.
wensteph and Dsmspickdad like this.

2007 Silverado Classic 3500 SRW CCLB LT3 LBZ
All stock with @341k+ and still going.
post #19 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronOregon View Post
Isn't 5-20% BioDiesel in all fuel nationwide now?
There is no EPA dictate for it so I'm not sure you can paint with that broad of a brush. There is no evidence of any bio where I live.

2019 GMC 2500HD
post #20 of 109 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 AM

Since I saw the trial that showed how much lubricity is provided by biodiesel, I started watching the pumps. I almost always see the pumps labeled B5-B20 in the midwest. Makes sense since we're in the heart of soybean country. The first pumps I noticed without the bio sticker were in upstate NY. Then I saw some on I-40 in Arizona.

I started running PS additive every tank because I'm pretty sure it's paying for itself in fuel mileage improvement. Anything with cetane boost gives me a nice little mileage bump as well as improving cold starts. Then it's there for a little lubricity bump as well when I get some non-biodiesel somewhere occasionally. PS is one of the better products for lubricity improvement although I don't think you can go wrong with FPPF, Opti XDP or Stanadyne either.

Lift pumps were mentioned too. I run a lift pump. The added filtration can't be a bad thing. You can change the spin-on filter in a couple of minutes and it saves on your Racor filter. Plus I like that the water separator filter catches any water before it gets under the hood. And anytime you have to prime your fuel system, like when you change the Racor filter, the lift pump is worth its weight in gold. Just turn on the key and loosen the bleeder for a second. Done. Start her up.

2012 3500 4X4 CCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« MAF Readings | - »