Bad fuel filter? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc502 View Post
really,,I just changed my filter yesterday.I opened the bleeder,pumped till only fuel came out,closed bleeder,pumped till rock hard,started truck.didn't even stumble at all.
Thatís the way the mechanics at work do it, pump and bleed like bleeding brakes. Your way obviously works as well.

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35Ēs, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
I would just pump the primer button until firm, then try to start.
Opening the bleed screw lets the displaced air out from an empty filter after a change.
Your filter is already full of fuel, just pump until firm and start.

In extreme leak scenarios, you may also use an extra hand, continually pumping the primer while cranking.

Edit;
It's not uncommon for a failing seal to rear it's ugly head after a filter swap and prime....disturbing the seals in the primer button.
So this is what I came up with. I took the intake elbow off of the intake going into the intake horn, i then primed the filter and did notice a solid stream of diesel after cracking the bleeder. It looses prime almost instantly. Doens't even get all that hard really. But i am not noticing fuel anywhere, but mostly cus it is pitch black out and there is a puddle of melted snow under my truck.

After trying to start the truck, i noticed smoke coming out of the intake horn after it had sat for a few minutes after cranking. Is this normal?
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Never mind, i got the truck to start long enough to get it in my garage. At first I was priming it like I would had I replaced the filter, by cracking the bleeder screw. After doing what Hook'em_Horns! said, it started right up and at least got the truck into my garage. In the morning I will do the filter and see how it goes.

Just for curiosity reasons, when the fuel filter life gives you a read out, what dictates the percentage it tells you? Like I said, mine says 92%. I am curious if it goes off of mileage or engine hours or something, or if it is giving me that reading based off of fuel flow restriction?

Reason I ask is I am curious if the dealership I bought this from a couple months ago, actually did a fuel filter swap. Because it was reading 100% when I pulled out of the lot. Regardless, I am doing a new filter tomorrow, and when the ACDelco 3018 filter shows up next week, I will swap that in for the O'Reilly filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:26 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I don't think your problem is with the filter.

When you start to have issues with a potentially leaking fuel filter head, that extra crank or two to start after sitting, goes unnoticed. The air post filter is passed thru and enough fuel is there to start.

As it decays, under higher demand, the aerated fuel becomes apparent (as you passed on WOT). This scenario can go on for days or weeks until it sits long enough and bleeds off and you have a no start.

Extreme hot/cold temperature swings in the weather can also have an affect on the aging seals that were marginal. The 1st seal point to fail is usually in the primer button. It can also stem from a crack in the body or other seal areas.

Rarer still, it can be farther back in the supply line; like the quick connect seal on the driver's side top where the supply line from the tank transitions from the flex line to the hard line that runs across the engine towards the filter head.

It can also be the other quick connect line at the truck rear where again, the hard line on the frame rail transitions to the flex line at the fuel module head on top of the tank.

I would start by removing the fuel line at the filter head inlet (arrow on top of the casting), and finger over the tube, try the primer button and see if the suction is there and if the button holds firm or bleeds off.

That can rule out everything from the head back to the tank as a potential vacuum leak source, centering on the filter head itself.

Being that it will be Sunday (and no new filter head is available), most parts stores carry a Dorman rebuild kit where you could get it back going again.

Or, it's possible to limp along by 1st pushing that prime button until firm and then start in the mornings.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:08 AM

Put a lift pump on it and you will know where your air leak is as it will become a fuel leak. You will also never have to worry about priming again. Problem is not your filter though.

2016 LML White Denali HD 2500 leveled
SODA Novocain Wheels
Amp Steps
Air Dog 100
Bean Sump
Bilstein 5100
Bushwacker color matched
Ridge Grapplers
Putco Bed Rails
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:55 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Expensive band-aid.
What if the leak is in the fuel module in the tank? A LP won't expose that and you'll be chasing a ghost.

A LP is a great addition, but find the leak 1st.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:04 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The CP4 has GP (Gear Pump) its cannot self prime at low RPM 300 OR less, That's why you must prime the system.

Now in urgent situations, You can used either (JD is my preferred either) to run the engine for 3-5 seconds by feathering, the GP will create 25HG this Vacuum will pull fuel form the Tank in 2 seconds and the engine should catch... Yes the myths of using either will self-destruct the motor is alive and still living, The fact that you are just using for urgent starting or problem solving is OK.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:39 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Ether on a common rail diesel
not either
and on an LML with known weak pistons?

Don't do this, bad advice....especially given that you didn't even try to express the CORRECT way to try and apply it. And that involves more than one person.

It won't fix the problem with loss of prime....are you gonna pull out the can every time you try to start?
Find and fix the vacuum leak. Or easier still, push the prime button 'til firm and/or while cranking.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:03 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Hook'em My Name is Todd I have 4 decades of experience, I have sold 10,000s of Fuel pumps and 10,000s of injectors. rebuild modified 1000s of Pumps, Help 1000s over the years.

I have left My blood and sweat on 1000s of engines. If you believe that using either 1 or 2 Times to diagnose priming and using for urgent or emergency needs will destroy Pistons has NO merit.

Yes, if your going to drown or flood the engines Yes...

Your Truck, Your Money, Your Choices.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedabiggertrailer16 View Post
Thatís the way the mechanics at work do it, pump and bleed like bleeding brakes. Your way obviously works as well.
my reasoning,,filters empty,full of air,,don't want to push any air further into the fuel system than needed.
same principle of bleeding a heating zone on a furnace.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode