Bad fuel filter? - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

The CP4 has COV (Cascade overflow Valve) and GP Fuel enters the feed port, the COV is closed fuel is diverted to the Internals and Combustion circuits. Once its primed the GP will build Internal pressures, The COV will regulate the fuel delivery to combustion and internal cooling and lubricating then is returned to Fuel Tank, (RPMS) determine the volume VIA GP and Combustion fuel use.

The FCA/FPR regulates combusting fuel that is supplied buy the GP, The FCA/FPR default is Wide open No Voltage. Its Generally at WO when cranking, The Pressure Sensor must detect 1800PSI+ to send signal to ECM/PCM to fire the hot hole and the engines starts and takes of running, this all can happen in less then 2 seconds of cranking if the system is tight and primed.

Your Truck, Your Money, Your Choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:38 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDiesel View Post
If you believe that using either 1 or 2 Times to diagnose priming and using for urgent or emergency needs will destroy Pistons has NO merit.
Ether.
What I see is a post advising the average user, with no safety instructions offered. THAT has no merit, IMO.
No suggestions on disabling intake heaters, glow plugs, how much and at what concentration (brands differ), where to apply, whether to apply to a cranking engine or not, etc.

Even JD advises not to use their product on a common rail diesel (stated in bold print). Too risky for the inexperienced average user/owner. There are other and safer ways to diagnose a loss of prime/no fuel supply.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

We'll Hook'em , I have yet to see the destruction that's promoted, Yes, you need to use caution. When Your cranking the Grid heaters are off, You would need to drown the system with either and cranking several times.

Now if you don't believe You have the skill or the knowledge to use either by all means don't. and only use it under controlled AND Urgent Needs.

When Your fishing on Red lake for 2 Days and the truck won't Start and You have NO means to connect to the generator and the forecast is for Prolong winds and cold, and the Owner of the Fish house only has either to help out What Just leave the Truck on the lake or pay the tow?

If HPCR don't start quickly cranking to run the batteries dead will just add to the cost of replacing the Batteries.

My best advice is when your truck don't start in urgent situations connect an expert, Social Media should only be used as a touchtone and in many cases will create more problems and costs in addition to lost time.

Your Truck, Your Money, Your Choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:04 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Fair enough.
TCDiesel likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:18 AM

I found wd-40, while not as good as ether works too. While bleeding injectors on older diesels we would use it to keep engine running till enough of the injectors were bled.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Well, to follow up on my end, I installed a new filter today. Truck started just fine and NO white smoke period. Truck has not had a hiccup yet but lets give it some time before I say too much.

The filter was a OEM filter that I believe was the ORIGINAL filter. Meaning 72k miles on the same filter. Now, I could be wrong and it could have been replaced at some point, but it definitely was not replaced when I bought it a few months ago (2500 miles ago) because the stickers seemed very aged and starting to fall off. I don't think a new-ish filter would be doing that after 2 months.

I appreciate the advice from everyone on here, this forum is much better then that pathetic LML facebook page.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 06:16 PM

Glad to hear you got it straightened out. The filters are kind of a pita to change on these trucks so itís very possible that somebody just kept hitting the reset button. I bought mine in March of 2018 with 46K and Iím 99% sure mine had never been changed either. I changed it just for good measure. I donít remember the exact date now but the manufacture date printed on the filter was quite a bit older than the build date on the truck itself.

If you havenít seen it yet look up the 2019 Fuel Filter shootout on here, long read but itís well worth the time and eye opening for sure.

16í C.C. LT. Tinted, Weather Techs, Boost Tow mirrors, leveled/Moto930s/35Ēs, Kennedy, Ridge Runner, May Truck Parts exhaust
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Fuel filter monitor measures how much the filter is plugged.

Resetting it and not changing would result in it quicly asking for change again. -- not still at 92% after a couple of months.

Perhaps it wasn't 'fresh' when he got it 2 months ago, but it's not 4 years and 70,000 miles old.

OTOH, the oil life system (OLM) doesn't sample the oil. It assumes oil and filter were changed at reset, and it assumes the oil and filter being used are the recommended ones (or equivalent).

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
Fuel filter monitor measures how much the filter is plugged.

Resetting it and not changing would result in it quicly asking for change again. -- not still at 92% after a couple of months.

Perhaps it wasn't 'fresh' when he got it 2 months ago, but it's not 4 years and 70,000 miles old.

OTOH, the oil life system (OLM) doesn't sample the oil. It assumes oil and filter were changed at reset, and it assumes the oil and filter being used are the recommended ones (or equivalent).
I am glad you mentioned this. Beause I was curious about how that worked. Anyhow, I am back to where I started with this pig. It drove fine after a few days on a new filter, and yesterday it started dumping white smoke again and had loss of power intermittently. I finally said EFF it and took it to the dealership. However, they can not get me in until the 30th of this month and honestly, I don't have that much trust in them.

So now that the filter is replaced, where are some areas that I should look going forward? I can not find a fuel leak anywhere, and unfortunately this only happens randomly. I was able to drive it to work today with no problems. Could this be a cause of cold weather causing seals to shrink and draw in air? Truck seems fine when I start it and leave my heated garage, but 8 hours later after i leave work is when it decided to act up yesterday.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Campbell View Post
Primer button is not firm. I just checked that. What would cause it to loose prime? And do i just open the bleeder valve and prime it till all air is out?
there are several seals in the filter head, including the 2 on the filter itself that could allow air in. It doesent take that much air to cause a loss of prime, though i dont think that would cause your white smoke issue. White smoke is typically water in the exhaust, or un burned fuel in the exhaust. Do you still have the EGR valve on the engine?

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode